Over 60s training.

Comments

• cealceal ✭✭✭
    JJ
    Yes use the convertion to boost positive thought. You should be proud of your run.

I found the page relevant to your eyeball training! I was amazed at how many messages there were in one day on that thread. I shall stick to this one for the moment, it more than keeps me happy. I know you contribute to a great many threads, I see your name from time to time when I have time to read through a few.

I have just ran the same distance as yesterday, 4 minutes faster. It was only the middle 20 mins that I upped the speed. I have absolutely no idea of the distance. My speed has definately been affected by the virus, but I shall hang in there. I shall give the race all I've got and more besides as I always do. I am cutting the distances this week in preparation for a week on Sunday.

• Wow JJ, 3h44!!!

Ceal, i do track sessions weekly. They help me to get a bit faster although I find them exhausting.
    I haven't done any on treadmils but think the effect will be the same.
    When is your first race happening? How long is it?
  • cealceal ✭✭✭
    Spud
    I think that the track session would be harder than treadmill. I like really running on a track. I ran a race last year that started and finished on track and I really lliked the surface.

11th May next race, it's a half.
  • cealceal ✭✭✭
    There is an interesting letter in the currant RW. It is the Star Letter, it is from someone not yet 60. It would appear the writer is somewhere between 55 and 60. It is very encouraging letter.

I was also impressesd by another letter on the same page as the above, titled A Fast Walk, it is from someone with younish children, so not quite in our league yet. However, she followed the 'Get You Round' training plan for the FLM and finished in a surprising 3:47. Which goes to show that more is not necessarily better. (Whatever one's age)!
  • Probably Paula Radcliffe's sister.
    JJ
  • 'morning each.

7.5 miles this a.m. Included 3 x 1 mile fast with 1 mile steady recoveries in between. Fartlek or long intervals? Anyway the miles were over a measured distance and were 7-36, 7-31 and 7-14. I was pleased with the pace judgement and the getting faster with each one and with not feeling totally knackered.
    Heads for supermarket with self-satisfied grin.
    JJ
  • cealceal ✭✭✭
    JJ
    You are doing well with including a lot of speed mileage in your sessions. Just be prepared to maybe feel it a bit next week when you have another go at the eyeball stuff! But maybe all the marathon training has given up a super endurance.

I think that this thread could probably write articles in mags. etc on over 60's running and training. As there is not a lot of commonsense stuff 'out there'. Whatb do you think. Not that I am capable of composing anything literate!!
  • Ceal
    Might try it when I finally retire. It would be good to debunk some of the running myths and technical clat. Decided yesterday that I will run a local 10 mile race on Monday and dropped the entry in last evening (closing day). Got race details and number in the post this morning. Last year they had 93 entries so I might get placed in the Over 60s.
    JJ
  • cealceal ✭✭✭
    JJ
    Well done. You didn't last long not running any races!!!! If I don't get to say again before Monday, get those long legs going and going! Hope you get a place and a prize. What is your time for 10 miles? I have never done one.

Yes, I think you should work on the idea of 'writing running 'when you retire.

• JJ, I love your quality sessions. Will try some to see if they work for me.

JJ, well done on entering a 10M race. I will be thinking of you!

Ceal,about writing about running, I think it is an excellent idea. Why don't you approach RW?
  • Hello guys (again).
    Thanks Spud. Very complimentary but there isn't anything new about it.
    I've only ever done one 10 mile road race before and that was on a cold, wet day last January. Did 1hr.21. I shall go for sub-1hr.20 on Monday. Another target to miss but if I don't aim for it I certainly won't get anywhere near it.
    JJ
  • Btw Spud. I've only just changed back to this style of training after months of just churning out the FLM miles. You don't get any real benefits for several weeks but you can't race fast unless you train fast. The aim is to continue it steadily all through the summer (I don't race when it's hot) then really go for it in September. I want to get my 10k and 1/2m times down to something very respectable in my age group, say 42/43/44 mins. for 10k and the same plus 1hr. for the 1/2m.
    I've a feeling I've said this already. If I have, put it down to old age!
    JJ
  • cealceal ✭✭✭
    JJ
    Yes you definately have to aim for getting rid of the 20's, as you say unless you aim for it then it won't happen. Do you work out what you expect from each mile. Or just go for it. I write on my hand what I want to do for each mile for at least the first
    7 or 8 miles and then the body has to decide what it can cope with after that.
  • cealceal ✭✭✭
    Spud
    There is no way I could actully write well enough for a magazine, I am far too many words used to say something, as you will have seen many times on this thread. Not consise enough. There you are I have said the same thing twice. Interestingly, I am not like that with the verbal word! More of a listener than a talker.
  • Ceal
    I only do calculations in the broadest possible terms, and while I'm running, just to give me a general idea of what my end time could be. I'm usually concentrating on running at what I think should be my maximum pace given the conditions that I think are coming up (hills, wind direction) and the distance left to run. If I feel good and the conditions are right I do a good time 'cos I'm always running near to my maximum pace.I obviously go for a big finish but I would normally only have enough left to keep going at that same maximum pace. I've never beaten anyone in a sprint finish!
    I would hate to finish a race, and never do, thinking that I could go on for another couple of miles.
    JJ
  • cealceal ✭✭✭
    JJ
    I cannot imagine what it must feel like to have anything left at the end of a race! I'm always all in at the end.

I have a MUCH younger friend who runs the ocassional race and I do not think she actually knows the meaning of the word competitiveness, because she always finishes with loads left. She will say happily, well that wasn't too bad. She also looks as fresh as a daisy, whilst I look puce and wet through. I have to add I beat her, so far anyway, very easily by many many minutes!
  • cealceal ✭✭✭
    JJ
    I hope the wind will have dropped by Monday for your race, or that the race will have a tail wind! I have just done 1:30 running, very late afternoon and to start with the wind was horrendous, it was blowing crossways, so that it made no different whether I was coming or going. It was strange I was cold a lot of the time but with phases of hot too.
    I discovered that by counting to oneself backwards, the mind is diverted from pain, boredom whatever. I also found that my pace automatically stepped up. I started at 10 backwards then 20 then 30 etc etc. I found it quite useful. I am not sure how easy it would be to count backwards near the end of a long race when it is difficult to concentrate on such things, but I shall give it a go
  • Ceal.
    I would be frightened that when I got to zero I would start running backwards. Then I suppose I could just turn round the other way.
    Too surreal. I shall thread wander.There's nothing I want to watch on TV for a while.
    Enjoy the weekend.
    JJ
  • See report under 'Events', Hildenborough 10
    for what I did (or did not do). At least I'm not gettng slower. Time was the same as Dartford 10 in January.
    JJ
  • cealceal ✭✭✭
    JJ
    I presume you mean the thread on Hildenborough, which I have just read so know what time you did etc. But saw no report as such. As you say at least you are not getting any slower! How did you finish in comparison to the other more mature runners. How was the wind? It has been very apparent in this part of the country but at least it kept the rain away. I did 40 mins this am of sprints and gentle bits in between.
  • Hi Ceal
    The fastest Over-60 did 67mins. It's an issue I would prefer not to discuss! Actually he's a local club guy who's been having an outstanding season. I must go talk to him.
    JJ
  • cealceal ✭✭✭
    JJ
    Yes I get your point!
  • JJ/Ceal.
    Back again! Time spent at G.Yar was marred for me with an initial sore throat which developed into a persistent hacking cough.No way could I do any running at all! Just had to be satisfied with 2/3 miles walks with Marg and Sam the dog.

Meanwhile back at the ranch.....Ran for the first time today for 12 days by doing a steady 4 and a half mile combined hill and flat course. Only concern now is knowing if a new PB can be achieved this Saturday in the Rother Valley 10k. Don't really know if that 12 day break will have knocked my tempo back.
    What do you both think about the few days left? I reckon a good 6 miler on Wednesday and maybe a slowish 3/4 mile Thursday followed by resting Friday.
    You both seemed to have been busy according to your thread exchanges! I'll need to read through them again.
    Impey.
  • cealceal ✭✭✭
    Impey
    Welcome back, you have been missed.
    So sorry to hear about the throat etc. I know how that can throw one. I would not do too much this week in the way of distance training. I would not do as much as 6 miles on Wednesday. Keep everything around 4 miles or less. Keep to pace slow after Wednestday too. Then just give it a go on Saturday, thats all one can do. I expect JJ will have a few good thoughts to give you too LI, more experience than me in these matters! We'll talk more in the week, my supper is calling me!
  • Evening LI.
    Sorry to hear about your indisposition. I think the damage from 12 days off is more in the mind than body. I always reckon I need 3 runs to tune everything up after a few days off. I would do 3 gentle miles tomorrow to get the cardiovasclar system working again then carry on as you suggest.
    Don't overdo it when you run the 6 - nice and steady.
    I can hand out as much advice as you want but in the end LI you should do what your body feels comfortable with.
    Keep in touch. We can all learn from each other.
    I'm now going into racing hibernation until October.
    JJ
  • cealceal ✭✭✭
    Hi both of you, JJ & Impy

There only seems to be us around this week.

How are the legs today JJ, any repercussion from the 10 mile race?

LI I hope that you are feeling much better, I can empathise with you, I have to say 4 weeks down the line I still have a bit of a cough lingering. I think that missing training so close to the race will hopefully not make too much difference. C'est la vie! It does knock one's confidence, and we have to listen to JJ on that one.
    This afternoon, between gardening and such like I have been doing quite a bit of stretching, for the good it does one and also because today is a rest day and I didn't run too far yesterday and my body is itching to run, so I was trying to keep it ocuupied in another way. I think it has worked.
  • Ceal....... just read your thread and as you say missing the training does seems to lower the confidence. As JJ says perhaps it IS all in the mind! And by the same token doesn't it make you feel wrong about yourself when you don't cover as much as you'd like to!? How did I cope before last year I wonder, as the most active thing was walking so many miles a day and that was for the past 20 years or so!
    On the theme of stretching you seem to have the right idea there. On my run yesterday I made sure I stopped a couple of times just for a few seconds to do some stretches,rather than go all the way without. It was a feeling in my head that after being off so long it would help to avoid unwanted stiffness and it did pay off.
    Now to you, JJ..........whats this about not being competitive again until October. We can't have our leader doing that can we Ceal! I know what you mean "listen to your body" but still value your training ideas,both of you.
    Today just did an hours stint in gym.Tomorrow probably an hour or so steady run.
    I gather you have a run on Sunday,Ceal hope that goes well for you. So JJ, what are you gonna do....can you really resist the temptation to race before Oct?
  • Evening Ceal and LI
    Legs are not a problem thanks, just a bit tight, but then I didn't overdo it anyway. I shall work that out tomorrow a.m.

Certainly can resist it LI. I don't race in the summer. As I have got older I find the heat quite debilitating. It leaves me worn out and weak. I'm not in it for that sort of feeling so I just keep fit all the summer with quality runs in the cool of the early morning. I start racing again in October.

LI, on the subject of time off, I think read somewhere that you can go about 3 weeks without training before there is any real deterioration in muscle strength. After that you need one week of normal training for each day you have off in excess of 3 weeks in order to restore normal muscle fitness. It's not totally accurate because we're all different but it seems to have a sort of commonsense about it. For instance, if you take 4 weeks off doing asolutely nothing, that's 7 days over the 3 weeks, you will need seven weeks of normal training to get back to where you were.
    The reason I am suggesting this, and I may not have remembered it properly, is that taking a week or two off will cause you little harm if it only happens once in a while. I'd be inteerested in your views.
    What a diatribe!
    JJ