Support, Advice and Inspiration .. Come join us ...

Hi. (posted twice ‘cos sometimes first posts on a thread disappear!)
As a very overweight, unfit newbie, when I first started 'lurking' in these forums I found it hard to begin posting. I would see a thread that had been running for a while and that looked really interesting and friendly and wish I could be part of it. But, it was something I was just too scared to do ... join a running thread that appeared to have 'regulars' who all knew each other etc. It is a shame, because all of these threads have posters on them that give great support, advice and inspiration to others. Since then, I have been posting on a thread that has some fantastic folk on it who all have lots of time for others, have inspiring stories to tell, give great advice and who welcome ‘new’ posters with enthusiasm and warmth.

However, because the thread is now over 4000 posts long, we feel it might deter new people from joining what could appear to be an established thread. It might also be far too much for people to 'read back' on to see who other posters are and how they started and where they are now etc. .. which really is a shame because there is so much inspiration and experience to be found in these stories!

So, as a group, we decided to start a new thread and post a bit about each of us in first. We hope you will read these posts and feel, like we do, inspired by what you read and comfortable enough to come join us and enjoy the support, camaraderie, advice and experiences we all share. We get a bit ‘chatty’ sometimes on many subjects, but the main theme of the thread (running) is never lost or side-lined. In fact, we gave ourselves a nickname that has taken off … INSPIRE runners club … Inspiring Newbies and Supporting People who Run Everywhere – and we maintain a list of everyone’s up and coming races so we can support and encourage individuals before each race and on the day.

So, here is the new thread. We are all posting our ‘stories’ over the next two days. Please could I ask you not to post anything other than your ‘story’ until the two days have passed … then they will all be together for easy reading. From day three (probably well past by now for most reading this), come join us and our chat …. Oh, and Welcome and Congrats in your decision to run!

Comments

• Support, Advice and Inspiration .. Come join us …
    INSPIRE, a beginners ‘virtual’ runners club. Read Page1 please

Hi. (posted twice ‘cos sometimes first posts on a thread disappear!)
    As a very overweight, unfit newbie, when I first started 'lurking' in these forums I found it hard to begin posting. I would see a thread that had been running for a while and that looked really interesting and friendly and wish I could be part of it. But, it was something I was just too scared to do ... join a running thread that appeared to have 'regulars' who all knew each other etc. It is a shame, because all of these threads have posters on them that give great support, advice and inspiration to others. Since then, I have been posting on a thread that has some fantastic folk on it who all have lots of time for others, have inspiring stories to tell, give great advice and who welcome ‘new’ posters with enthusiasm and warmth.

However, because the thread is now over 4000 posts long, we feel it might deter new people from joining what could appear to be an established thread. It might also be far too much for people to 'read back' on to see who other posters are and how they started and where they are now etc. .. which really is a shame because there is so much inspiration and experience to be found in these stories!

So, as a group, we decided to start a new thread and post a bit about each of us in first. We hope you will read these posts and feel, like we do, inspired by what you read and comfortable enough to come join us and enjoy the support, camaraderie, advice and experiences we all share. We get a bit ‘chatty’ sometimes on many subjects, but the main theme of the thread (running) is never lost or side-lined. In fact, we gave ourselves a nickname that has taken off … INSPIRE runners club … Inspiring Newbies and Supporting People who Run Everywhere – and we maintain a list of everyone’s up and coming races so we can support and encourage individuals before each race and on the day.

So, here is the new thread. We are all posting our ‘stories’ over the next two days. Please could I ask you not to post anything other than your ‘story’ until the two days have passed … then they will all be together for easy reading. From day three (probably well past by now for most reading this), come join us and our chat …. Oh, and Welcome and Congrats in your decision to run!
  • My Story
    3 years ago I wrote this (extract) after being given a new lease of life …’By the time I was invited to take part in the Pain Management Programme I had lost all hope of ever leading a normal life again. My inability to cope with the incessant debilitating pain I was suffering lost me my partner, my job, my home, and (at times) my will to live. Through the information I received and the practices I was taught I have managed to take control of my life again, giving it meaning and purpose well beyond just coping day to day with chronic pain. The pain has not gone away - it probably never will - but it is such an insignificant part of my life now, under control and in the background. I still have good and bad days, but the bad are very few and never as bad or as long as they used to be. I cope knowing that I have the ability now to plan ahead for a future as full and enjoyable as the days before I became a chronic pain sufferer….’

At that time I was so much better than I had been for many years. But the previous years of disability had left me very overweight and very unfit! I stayed this way until April of this year when I eventually realised I had to do something about it. I was less than a year away from my 50th birthday, I was 17st 12.5lbs in weight, and I couldn’t climb a flight of stairs without breaking into a sweat and running out of breath!!! So, I made a pact with myself to get fitter and to lose weight. I thought about many ways to do this and finally settled on (what I think) the correct one for weight loss … a life-style and diet change. No more ‘diets’, just a healthy diet. No more excuses to get the car out, just plain and simple walking. … and so on. I also bought a treadmill with the aim of ‘walking to fitness’ at home too.

One day, I was looking on the Internet for ‘inspiration’ on using the treadmill to full advantage … and I came across the Runners World website and forums. I fancied the idea of this running lark but couldn’t see in my wildest dreams that I could actually go out there and do it. But I ‘lurked’ for a while on the forums, and I noticed other beginners like myself getting a great reception and encouragement (Plodding Hippo – you’re the tops!!). Eventually I took the plunge and posted a question. ‘Very fat unfit beginner needs advice …’. I got loads of answers, and loads more. All so encouraging and supportive that I did take the plunge! The thread is the one I mentioned in the intro above. It grew and grew, and so did my confidence.

The rest … as they say, is history. But I should just like to mention that I am now 25lbs lighter, can walk for miles and miles up and down steep hills and steps, run/walk at reps of 2mins (lots to do here still, but getting there!), AND have just completed my very first ‘proper’ run – the Sports Relief Mile!!! Along the way, I have met some terrific people and made some great new friends from the forum.

I have had such a fantastic few months being inspired, motivated and supported that I really do want others to feel these vibes … so please read on and check out some truly great people … and come join us and be part of our team.
  • I’m Em.

In March this year, several things happened to get me, a complete non-runner, (I mean not even 100yds) running…

A crucial point was the target of a Race for Life event. I saw the beginners plan on this site, saw that it took 6 weeks, and had such confidence in my ability that I thought…hey…I have 20 weeks, I could be about half way there by then…?

I did not allow for the support, motivation, friendship and inspiration from this forum that kept me going to where I am at now…

I just did my Race For life in a fabulous 32mins 38secs, and joined a fellow forumite along with our families in the Sports Relief Mile yesterday.

It’s official…I am completely addicted to running, 1 stone lighter and happier than ever!

Em
    x
  • Hello! I'm probably not officially a beginner any more...having been running for several years on and off (knee surgery & a skiing accident rather interfered)

I'm a slow steady plodder - 12 minute miles. The encouragement on here is frabjious!

Welcome to anyone out there .... come along and post. I promise none of us bite :-)
  • Hi folks

[b/]Me …. I’m 35 and a mother of 2 (2 and 4 years old) and wife of Mykey and a trainee housewife. (I don’t think I’ll ever pass the exam!!)

My running skills …. I started running in March (this year) on the Beginners walk / run programme (loosely as I had to re-do a few weeks) and struggled for breath for over a month but now that seems to be a thing of the past. I did this for the Race for Life in June and was delighted when I ran the whole way in 39 minutes! I’d always hated running and the thought of starting running was a nightmare but now I find it gives me time to myself and it also shows the children that I value myself. And the big thing is that I love it! I’m hoping to continue to improve my time over 5k and would love to do a 10k sometime in the next 12 months. I never thought I’d love to run but I do. I’m surprised how many people say they can’t run because it’s what I always said too. But if I can then anyone can!

The reason I started running …. ‘me’ time, fitness and weight loss. My big aim was to drop a dress size for my sister-in-law’s wedding (11 August 2006) and guess what? I did it! My start weight was 12 stone 12 and I’m now at 12 stone 1 but I really want to drop below 12 stone before making my next long term goal.

INSPIRE means …. As supportive as my husband is, The INSPIRE runners thread has helped the both of us over the blips along the way by sharing their experience and knowledge. Anyone can look at a book or a website for advice but this way I have a group of like minded people of varying fitness, cheering me on through every run and helping me to stick with it through the ups and downs. It’s also so satisfying to help others over their psychological hurdles. Being part of this community of friends is like my running secret weapon.

And finally …. Someone once wrote that anyone who runs, however fast, whatever distance, on a regular basis is an athlete. So take pride in your achievement and let us all help each other to be better athletes!
  • Mine is in two bits (sorry)

Hi im Dan (aka Fattyonadiet) im 20 years young, and im currently a student. My favourite hobbies are all sports. I currently play rugby for Penzance & Newlyn RFC and also last year I was selected for England Deaf Rugby squad.
    Im currently at university at the College of St Mark and St John and study a BA in Coach & Physical Education ive just finished my first year. Going to university was what inspired me to get fit. After college I had a year out and just worked, I didn’t play any sport for a whole year to eighteen months before I went off to uni. During this time I had ballooned to 23.5 stone at my fattest. I was ashamed, I used to eat like a horse often several fast food meals in a binge. I used to hide this from parents and girlfriend by saying I was going out to my friends etc when really I was going to get food.
    When I got to uni I was persuaded by some old friends to take up rugby again and I went along to the trial. I really enjoyed it but we only played two twenty minutes session. That was half a game and I was dead, I was tired after 2 mins of running. I didn’t do an awful lot and was embarrassed. Gradually I got fitter just by undertaking the training we did in the course and through the club training. I played some more games and was losing weight and finding it easier each game. I didn’t stick to any diet it was just the increase in exercise which helped. After Christmas I was involved with the England Deaf rugby team, a massive experience for me but also a low moment. After having an operation on one ear and one looming on the other my hearing was bad, I tried to ignore it and battle on but my surgeon was banging on about hearing aids, I still refuse to wear one!, this is when realized I have to accept I have hearing loss.
    Anyway when I returned home from my first year at university I decided I wanted to take it more seriously. I decided I want to be thin and be fit im fed up of being overweight. I love sport but cant do any justice to myself because im too fat. Also my career path could be harmed if I don’t slim down, no school will employ an overweight PE teacher, I want to be an example to the children and also help out others who are in my situation. I started dieting roughly no counting etc and began the beginner schedule found on this site. I was on week three when I plucked up the courage to post on our old thread. I found everyone to be friendly and encouraging, posting has really gave me the motivation and I now find it part of my life to check on everyones progress, we are just one big family. Please post don’t be afraid, it may seem a lot of chat on here but just post, you will never forget the moment you did and asked for help or whatever.
  • continued....

Anyway im sorry this is so long but nearly there!, I began running and dieting in June properly. I was progressing well with my running, I found a nice scenic 2 mile route which I used to do the run/walks on. I find it easier to go out in the morning as not many people are around. I then had my operation on my ear which meant no running for 3 weeks, I was gutted. When I came out of hospital I was still determined and wasn’t going to let that be my downfall. Instead of running I did walks of a few miles and even did on of 6.5 miles over the three weeks. Then when I had the all clear to run again I went back to running, and only two weeks back into it, im now running over 3 miles/5k in 33 mins at the last attempt. I also go to the gym twice a week and an weekly spin cycle class. Ive lost over two stone since I started seriously in June and over 4 since ive been at uni. Im looking to progress into triathlon when fit enough. I love swimming and have done it all my life, with that and the running I will be getting fit, and I hope to buy a bike to begin full training at Xmas. My first race is on Aug 19th the Plymouth Aquathon 500m sea swim and 5k run, it will be hard and at present 19.2 stone will be tiring, but my aim is to get down to 15-16 stone by xmas when I will get my shiny new road bike to being training properly for tri. My advice to everyone is, you only have one life, make the most of it, do your self proud.
    Thanks for reading my essay!.
  • Hello. I’m Allie.

My auntie (and best friend) died last year. The fifth time she got cancer was just one too many. I miss her. My husband did the Great North Run and raised hundreds of pounds for Cancer Research UK; I wanted to do something too. I have to tell you how unlikely this seemed. Following quite a serious head injury I hadn’t undertaken any real aerobic exercise for nearly 20 years; I had been on anti-depressants for virtually all of this time too.

In January I weighed in at my heaviest ever and decided this year I would do something about it. Around the same time I spotted the Race For Life posters in Tesco’s and found a 5k training programme that took 6 weeks (and ambitiously a 10k programme that took 10 more). I thought, why not, I’ll register for the Blaydon Race too. I entered and started collecting sponsorship.

I have to admit I struggled at first (still do sometimes); I couldn’t manage the 30 mins of run 2 walk 1 and often gave up. I kept trying and did improve, but not enough. I was worrying as the first race was fast approaching. Then I found RW and the very helpful forums. I didn’t join in (scaredy-cat) but learned so much and found I did have it in me after all. I found OTH and the others on the original forum just before my RFL. Such a friendly bunch, a very welcoming group offering loads of excellent advice, encouragement, inspiration, motivation, and fun too – I was soon posting as well!

Maybe you’re lurking on the sidelines too, maybe you’re new to running, maybe you want to lose weight, or are struggling motivationally… this is the place for you to do all that, with people who will be behind you all the way, cheering you on. Come and join us! Look at my achievements in the last six months and think about what YOU can do with support like this!

Race for Life 5k – 35:56
    Blaydon Race (almost) 10k – 1:00:36
    Sunshine Run 5k – 32.15
    Sport Relief Mile – 8:10

I’ve also registered for a 10 mile run in September. There’s no stopping me now. I just LOVE it.

Oh BTW. I’ve lost 20 pounds and feel great - haven’t needed those anti-depressants for quite a while now either!
  • Hello I'm Morgs

I'm 34 (35 is approaching faster than I'd like eek!) and even though I've been running about 3 and a half years on & off I still regard myself as a beginner.

My reasons for originally starting were driven purely by vanity & I followed the run/walk programme in Sam Murphy's Run for Life book but for some reason could not get past the 5 mins running point. So I would stop then start again then stop then start (you get the picture!) and this went on for ages.

I then read somewhere that when you were starting out it was best to go REALLY slow & that was it! I broke my 5 minute barrier & slowly built up from there.

Last year I ended up being signed off work with depression. The first time it had struck I was prescribed anti depressants & I didnt really want to go down that road again so I went running every other day instead & it got me through it.

My biggest achievement so far has been the Great North Run last year which I completed doing run/walk in 2:45. I also did Blaydon this year in 1:02 & I've done a couple of other races aswell.

And since getting broadband in & discovering the forum on this website my running world (sorry! couldnt resist the pun) has completely opened up. The support on here is tremendous & it has also given me the courage to join a local club which has done wonders for my consistency.

I am doing the Great North Run again this year & my goal this time is to run all the way.

P.S. Great idea starting this thread OTH as you're right, joining a large thread can be daunting

I then

• Oops didnt mean to leave the I then bit at the bottom. Sorry!
  • Ice QueenIce Queen ✭✭✭
    Hey everyone,
    Well I have an on-off relationship with running!

I used to go running with my dad when I was aged six to about nine, and took part in five mile fun runs (my dad wanted me to do a half marathon with him, and was most upset when he found out I had to be eighteen). After my dad's health declined and he stopped taking me running the only running I did for about nine years was in school, although I was dancing or doing Taekwon-Do three times a week the whole time. I was at my fittest when I was eighteen and I went running very occasionally, mainly to get fitter for Taekwon-Do.
    I was diagnosed with asthma the week I was nineteen, which developed suddenly following a virus and changed my life (I'm still hoping it might go away just as suddenly!). I never considered running as I didn't think it would be good for me at all, especially after an unpleasant experience at a Taekwon-Do seminar where I pushed myself too hard and it took me three weeks to get my breath back.
    However, last year I moved to Swansea which is a "good running town" - there's a traffic free cycle & footpath on the seafront right round the bay, and it's completely flat. I went running a couple of times with my flatmate and did the Race for Life in 31:28 but I felt awful at the end, and only went running a couple more times last year which were both ordeals.
    This year, however, I ran the Race for Life in 36:57 (or something) following zero training, but I felt fine - it made me realise I can run without ill effect. Since then we're following the beginners training plans for the Swansea Bay 10k in September and if I can get round in an hour I'll be happy! I'm still considering run-walking the Cardiff Half Marathon this year as well...
  • Hi,

I have been jogging now for just over 2 years. I started jogging to improve my fitness and to get my weight down.
    I played hockey for 25 years, winning the Scottish Districts Cup with Peterhead + National leagues 4 + 5 with Ellon Gordon. My fitness was quite good then and my weight was approx 13 1/2 st. I had to retire from hockey due to injuries.
    My weight increased to just over 15st and my fitness dropped.
    Then about just over 2 years ago, i decided to try jogging to help my fitness and weight problem.
    We have an old railway line nearby, which i used to start on. I started at 1/2 mile, then gradually increased to 1 mile, 1 1/2 miles and so on.
    My first run was a 10k at Balmoral, then went to the GNR in Newcastle.
    I did the GNR again last year + numerous local 10ks. I did the Edinburgh marathon last month.
    A few months ago i was looking into the forums and i found this thread .
    I have found this a very encouraging thread, from which i have been fortunate to find new friends. These folks are always offering advice and encouragement.
    When i came back from the marathon, i was overwhelmed by the concern on how i did and the fact that i had finished safely.
    Speaking to these folks shows one of the main aims of jogging is to enjoy it.

Fred.
  • Hi peeps.

Well I promised my endorsement of this thread – and this is it.

First some background info.
    I am currently 52, and have been r*nning for nearly 20years.
    I will never win a race, and I have been last a few times.
    I have had and still get my share of injuries.

My wife (Jilly or Mrs Big David) is known to jog with the dog (which is how I started) and has just done her first official event – the sport relief mile – what next?

I have only been a forum contributor since October 2005, so I am a newby too really.

The original thread that oth started became an excellent source of inspiration for beginners,

My contribution has always been in trying to answer questions, from experience, regular reading of the Runners World mag, and other sources, and by googling.
    I tend to avoid the general chat.

I intend to keep the same sort of watch over this new thread.

I have already recommended the original thread to beginners, and I expect this new thread to be as friendly and supportive as that has been.

“Come on in the waters fine”
  • The INSPIRE regulars might find this difficult to believe but I’m finding it quite hard to get started here! I hope that by the end of it you will realise what a special bunch of people they are…

My ‘running’ started a few years ago. I’d always wanted to run but was in no fit state to leave the house in running gear. The people of this fine country really didn’t deserve that. So I spent about 6 weeks running up and down my lounge – in fact some people still remember those posts. Don’t get me wrong, I did get lots of positive encouragement but eventually my fitness regime stopped and I was back to square one.

A couple of years later I decided to have another go at getting fitter and I joined my local gym. I was absolutely determined to make it work. Again, lots of encouragement was sent my way and I kept it up for about 12 weeks. But I still wouldn’t run outside, which seemed to be what everyone wanted me to do.

Jump back 10 years – At university I was quite fit. I played in a football team, and did martial arts. OTH - I EVEN VISITED THE LEISURE CENTRE IN BRISTOL TO TAKE PART IN THE BRITISH OPEN!!! But soon after I left and started looking after myself things got out of hand. No exercise and all the wrong foods etc.

So now jump forward to the Christmas and New Year just gone. How can I put this – I made sure I ‘enjoyed’ it because I had made the decision that things had to change. Starting January 1st I changed some of the things I was eating, although I found this incredibly difficult. I started going to the gym again in May, just walking on the treadmill, using the bike, rowing and a weights routine. In the first week of June I tried to run. I managed 30 seconds and thought I was going to die! But I was so chuffed with myself, and feeling so positive that I started a thread on here called ‘OMG I Ran!!!’ Straightaway I was invited to join another thread by OTH and so I had a look. I really wasn’t sure at first – what was wrong with my own thread? But I had a look anyway and once I realised that the comments were so positive and supportive I was hooked. The effect? Eight weeks later and I have just completed my first ‘OUTSIDE’ event (SR Mile). I can jog for 15 minutes without stopping – yes, me! I have also lost 3 stone since January and I have never felt better. I still have such a long way to go and I still have ‘issues’ which I certainly won’t be bugging you with now, but I think we know that we’re in it together.

Who knows, maybe someday soon, the Plod-mobile (see the other thread) will be coming to a town near you and we can plod a 5k together!
  • Hi, Im Stu Rayner. 30 years old and from Cumbria, but currently living in Leeds.

Five years ago, I watched my wife run in several cross-country meetings. It looked a lot of fun, but having done almost no aerobic exercise since the small amount of fell running I did at school, I figured it was beyond me.

Some time later, I supported her in a half marathon. Something clicked. I thought there was no reason that I couldnt do this with the right training. So, I bought my first pair of running shoes (which turned out to be totally wrong for my body - PLEASE go to a proper running shop and not a high street chain), and got started.

One year later, I finished that same half marathon in 1 hour 49 minutes proudly wearing the vest of Kirkstall Harriers, and set a 10k best of 45 mins 32 seconds. But then something went wrong.

I had been piling on the pounds for a while, having fallen into the trap of eating huge amounts of unhealthy food. My lower back started to scream at me ofter only a few hundred meters when I tried to run. This and a lack of spare time saw me shrug, give in and become sedentry for two years.

In May this year, I saw an advertisement for the Sport Relief Mile. I dont know what it was, but something made me decide to enter. Looking to Runners World for inspiration, I stumbled across the people who have started this thread at the end of May.

I now train three times each week, and am careful to take it easy (walking as required), and do some cross training when I can. The Sport Relief mile is now mission accomplished, and I am looking for my next goal.

Right now, that looks like being the Dunnerdale Fell Race in October. I have not entered yet, but will keep you up to date as and when I do!

Im still pretty overweight, but with the right attitude and patience, I know this will change.

Welcome to the thread. We are a friendly bunch here. Most of us are beginners, but there is quite a bit of knowledge floating around too, so ask away.

Enjoy your running, and please dont give in to the inevitable hard times. Have a moan here instead!

Stu
  • I am in mid 30’s, originally from Wales but now living and working near Portsmouth. Husband of Siân another INSPIRE participant(see her previous post). My hobbies, other than running, include sailing, hillwalking and keeping my kids entertained.

This is my 3rd stint as a runner having erred from the path due to variety of lame excuses like new jobs, new houses, getting married and having kids that all played havoc with 'good intentions' to run. Now I have returned to the fold with Siân, whom having got involved in Race for Life, is running regularly.

My general fitness when I started running again in April was okay as I normally cycle to work and am required to maintain some levels of fitness due to my job but was overweight at 12st 11lb and wanted to get down to around 12st.

Before suffering from Iliotibial Band Friction Syndrome(ITBS) in June I was regularly running 3 mile at around 11min/mile pace. Now on road to recovery and I hope to be fully back running by end of July and slowly improve my endurance and speed. At my last weigh in I had lost 7lb but more significantly my clothes were a little looser and I felt a great deal fitter.

My long term aim or aspiration with running is to continue to get fitter and healthier and, as my wife has caught the ‘bug’, I had to do something to keep up with her! We run together when we have the opportunity and it gives us a chance to spend some valuable time together without the kids. Once we were talking so much as we jogged that we didn’t hear the car behind us until the driver used the horn. Racing is not really part of the plan at present but, as a something to aim for and keep us motivated, I intend to complete a 10k in Jan 2007 with the possibility of a few other races later in the year.

Having monitored the thread that started INSPIRE for a bit I decided to jump in and have found a group of like minded people (nutters?) with whom to discuss all aspects of my hobby. As in all parts of life we have highs and lows and through this thread I have managed to share these with my new friends; supporting each other when down and celebrating our achievements. We also have some more experienced runners who we are a source of valuable advice adn guidance.

Finally during my recent enforced lay off from running I bought Chirunning book and am trying to incorporate it in a vague hope of running without injury for the rest of my life.
  • HappychapHappychap ✭✭✭
    Hello

Running has been in my life for a long time. My Dad was a regular runner when I was growing up and used to take me and my brother with him on some of the shorter runs. I've always been really active, hockey and athletics to county level and loads of other stuff but I've always been really fat too! (the exercise paradox)

When I reached 18 stone I decided to do something about it and started a more rigid exercise and diet programme via weightwatchers. I did really well and got to goal and then got obsessed and then developed anorexia and then bulimia.

I managed (with counselling and therapy) to get that under control which I did.

I then got injured and have been for the last eight months - it seems to be biomechanical no solution apart from pain management. Side effect from that is a massive weight gain and I'm back to 16 stone.

But, I've had my heart set on completing an Iron man and decided the only way that will happen is to loose weight through healthy eating and exercise. So here I am.

This forum is an amazing help - although I mostly lurk I love reading all the comments. I'm hoping the support will help me achieve my goals but also hoping I can help others achieve their goals too.
  • Hi all, so glad i found this thread. I've also seen others that look too well established to join in.

I'm Yvonne, been running 3 weeks following the Plymouth Half Novice runners plan. I used to run when I was a teenager and was always quite fit. Now that 40's approaching faster than I like, I find myself nearly 3 stone overweight and spectacularly unfit.

I was determined to do something about it and joined a slimming group and have lost 9lbs in 5 weeks so far. I started running again as a weight loss boost and because I want to be able to run after my kids when they annoy me <g> In a fit of madness I promised them I'd do the Plymouth Half next May.

Only issue that I have about my running so far is realy bad pain in my calf which starts right after I finish a run..doesn't seem to matter whether its a mile or 2 (not run further than 2 miles yet). I'm off to the docs on Wednesday but have the feeling he'll tell me not to run...having just spent a weeks grocery money on shoes I'm not about to do that in a hurry.

Its been great to read everyone's stories and hope to see lots more of everyone in the forum..especially FOAD in Plymouth
  • I am a mid-forties Mum of two teens who has never felt strong at running. My previous attempts have been sprinting until I am ready to drop-not very far LOL and then giving up because it felt so awful!

So what got me trying again?
    In April this year my husband came to the end of his chemotherapy treatment for bowel cancer. Naturally, he was fragile and exhausted and gently getting back into normal life. although relieved for the moment, I was shocked at my own state. I felt lousy and unfit, physically and emotionally disconnected from myself, 8 months in coping mode after the biggest fright of our lives had taken its toll.

I had watched Run for Glory and realised I wanted to run, not a marathon, just run. After seeing what my husband went through I thought the time to do something is now.

Luckily, I found a book on starting running which introduced me to Run/Walk and directed me to these forums, which have been so inspiring and supportive.

Although I could barely run for 30 seconds at first, I have now completed my 5/2s and it feels great> It has offered all I hoped and more, it seems to have made me feel whole again. I even managed a mile in under 11 minutes last week. Okay it was downhill with the wind behind me!

Thanks to all forumites who help us new folk get and keep going!
  • Ooh, forgot to add that my husband has now been ISPIREd and is now doing gentle stints of running whilst walking the dogs.
  • Hi all,

Looked like this was a great thread to join. I'm 36 and a mother of 3 children. Have always been reasonably fit - played netball for local team for last 12 years but gave up in May as so BORED with same old routine! Have always harboured secret dream of completing a marathon but life just seemed to have got in the way! Anyway entered Race for Life 5K in June and did the run/walk program with my 13yr old daughter. Did the Race - walked most of it as it was a very HOT day! Felt as though I didn't want all that training to go to waste so kept going and as I am definitely a goal orientated person decided to enter Chicks Chase Ladies Series in MK. Its a series of 3 5K races in June, July and August over the same course so you can try and improve your time. Definitely inspired me to keep on with my training. Kept with the run/walk program until I reached 20mins total running. Did first race on June 29th, ran the whole way YIPPEE in 29m 30secs. Felt so good to see my hubbie and 3 kids cheering me over the finish line. Best comment from my 11 yr old son - "you were faster than I thought you'd be Mum - you even beat some of the proper runners!!" Anyway now training for the July race (27th) and feeling good. I agree with the comment above - running is definitely my ME time! Hate it while I'm doing it sometimes but when I finish I LOVE THAT FEELING!! Bum and legs toning up too!!
  • Hello all! I started running about 8 years ago as a happy side effect of kickboxing. I became so fit through the KB that suddenly I found that I could run too!! This was a huge achievement for me, a life-time overweighter. I lost a lot of weight and gained a lot of self confidence. At the same time, I made a HUGE move from Chicago to Belfast and ended up suffering from situational depression which I managed through some horrid anti-depressants and running.

Then...I got married and my husband and I fell into a state of happy marital bliss that involved the enjoyment of very good food and wine and very little exercise. I struggled with my weight again and tried to manage it through walking. I was semi-successful with that.

In January 2006, we came back to the UK after spending Christmas in the USA and I suffered a melt-down fuelled by homesickness and other unresolved issues. This time, I decided to forego the drugs, found a good counsellor and started running again.

At first the running was in the dark and the local track. But in April, I emerged on the street and haven't looked back.

Running is not easy for me (although I always feel MUCH better after a run!) and many times I struggle to get out the door. Finding this forum and actively participating has made the biggest difference to my motivation. I've said this before- I feel like I take the INSPIRE runners with me when I go out and they keep me going when Lazy Head tries to replace Running Head.

I'm happy to report that psychologically, I feel much better and I've lost a bit of weight too- though I don't weigh myself (clothes are looser). I'm doing my first 10K in September.

Any lurkers out there- come on in. This is a friendly place with a lot of different people who all share a common interest in motivating each other with words of advice and shared experiences.

Welcome!
  • Hello

I am a 45 year old mother of two and grandmother to one. I have been married for 25 years this year to a wonderful supportive man. I love life and my world revolves around my family. We now live in the south, having spent years moving every 18 months and living in Cyprus, Germany, N Ireland and England. I grew up in a sporty family with three brothers and one sister. My middle brother and I used to train with Alan Wells in Scotland.

I used to run for miles, competing in organised runs including 18 miles down a mountain carrying a back pack. I was very fit – regularly competed in hockey, rounders, cross country, badminton and athletics.

In 1989 whilst was out on a training run, I felt pains in my chest and had difficulty breathing. The doctor sent me for an x-ray which showed a very large black mass on my left lung. It turned out to be scarring from pneumonia that I had had a few times in the recent years. I was advised to give up smoking – of which I told them I had never smoked in my life or been in smoky atmospheres. There was nothing they could do to aid recovery and I was told just to get on with life.

Since then I have started and stopped running so many times I have lost count. Whenever I felt I was getting somewhere another chest infection would appear. Still kept it going but often felt despondent as it always hurt so much getting going again. Sometimes I was out of running for up to three months at a time.

Over the years we have taken part in many 10k runs in the local area. On occasion I have had to drop out and stand on the side line watching everyone and wishing I was there.

Now since joining the thread my running is the best it has been for a very long time. I can run for five miles non-stop – unless there is a hill – but even hills are no longer a nightmare. I have taken part in two 10k runs and one 5k since joining the thread and by the time you read this will have done another 10k. I have also booked into the GSR (10m) in October.

Although many might say that I am not a beginner to running, I feel that the help and encouragement that my new friends have given me has helped me to achieve the fitness I currently enjoy. Reading how someone is overjoyed to have walked for 1 minute and run for 1 minute makes me smile and their efforts gives me the encouragement to keep going with my own training.

I run to keep fit and healthy, to keep the medical conditions of ageing at bay, but also enjoy the challenges of entering organised runs and the time spent with my running partner, my husband. Not only am I at my fittest for a long time, but I enjoy the comments when I meet new people who don’t believe how old I am or that I am a grandmother. Running keeps you young.

The people you meet here are truly inspirational and should all be proud of their individual achievements.
  • Hi, I'm Jo, age 34, single, and have been lurking for some months now. In March 2004 I decided to join weightwatchers, and weighed in at a hefty 16 stone 5 lbs. I started off doing a half hour walk during my lunch hour to complement my new healthy eating plan. By June 2005 I decided to take up running, after a fellow weightwatcher class member persuaded me to join her (and who conveniently lives around the corner from me).

We started off doing a 2.8 mile circular run in the morning before work. I ran it all first time. Couldn't believe I did it - was expecting to walk some of it. That was it...I got the bug. I now run 4 times a week....I still do the 2.8 mile morning runs twice a week. Do a 5.5 mile run on a monday night to my weightwatchers class (every little helps!). And try to do a longer run at the weekend (or do interval running on the treadmill at the gym).

I did my first half marathon in June this year (2 hrs 29 mins in about 30 degrees heat), and planning on doing another in October.

I now weigh 11 stone 5 lbs. Want to reach my 6 stone total weight loss by getting to 10 stone 5 lbs.

Not only has running helped my diet, it has completely changed my shape. I can't recommend it enough.

• Hello all :-

18st - get fit to run not the other way around!!

I've joined these threads hopefully to inspire others with what my wife is trying to achieve. 18 yrs ago I was training for the parachute regiment but broke my femur(thighbone) and that was the end of my training. All these years later my wife and I getting no younger decided to join a local Fitness First gym - recommended to us as the place to go that wasn't full of fit young posers, we joined and were made very welcome, we decided to get all the family bokes so we could cycle together on our weekends away in our caravanette. Soon I was fit enough to try my hand at running and I was delighted to find I could do it and I went on from there and completed many 10K races , I run on average twice a week.

Now my wife - MrsH - has always supported me and has made much improvement in the gym but she has had a stubborn weight problem - 18st that she gained whilst having our two children as many ladies do , she was 10 .5 st before that. She doesn't smoke or drink or eat lots of fatty fryups or sweets - its just a gradual gaining of weight . She has dieted before but without structured excercise it came back. Since going to the gym and cycling she has been fitter and having for the last 18months supported me at races she decided at a large charity race "The Midlands Lung Run 10k" to take the challenge and do this race next April. She saw many larger runners and many coming in long after elite runners had finished so she decided she could do it.

The battle already half won in the mind we went right out and bought her proper running shoes from a running shop where they were fitted after consultation. It would have been pointless to straight out and run - we must "GET FIT TO RUN" - so we decided to walk as quickly round the block as she could and measure the time to get some idea. It took 19 minutes and she had lowback pain (weak core from the weight) and painful shins (again the weight). We concentrated on core excercises and warming up the shins beforehand. By the end of May having walked up to 5 times a week plus going to the gym she could walk 30 minutes without pain at all , without stopping. She felt better , looked better and the weight or more accurately the SIZE was dropping off her with clothes failing to fit. She joined Weight watchers at the beginning and to now she has lost over a stone with a steady 1 - 2 lb weight loss. The most suprising is the size loss - she looks different and more toned , she says she feels better too. The gym workouts she can attack with new vigour and we regularly cycle long distances - we went 10+ miles on Saturday .

Now nearly half way though July we walk for 60 - 70 minutes (over 4 miles) 3 -4 times a week over tricky hill ground very briskly. Her fitness improves by the day and she hopes to start a run/walk programme by November. This will mean she has toned and hardened muscles and joints ready for the pounding that running gives as well as building all important stamina in the heart and lungs - especially in this heat.

So in nearly 2 months she has gotten fit to run (nearly) and by and large enjoyed it without pain - a slow gradual process that builds to a base fitness level she can build from there. She hopes to do other races too and use running as a way of keeping weight under control and staying very fit. A realistic Goal - 10K - a realistic timeplan will all coincide to bring her the rewards she wants . For me it has aided my post run recovery with all the walking and brought us even closer with a challenging goal to achieve!!
  • Im 41
    3 srone overweight, and still the same after 4 years of running
    I have always wanted to do a marathon
    In 2002, I achieved that, on 4 months non training, and a longest run of 8 miles
    I can still rememeber when I couldnt run 30 seconds without walking

Im no speed merchant though-my marathon times range from 5.15-7 hours, and I still run walk for longer distances
    You dont have to be a skinny minnie or speedy to get the benefits of running
    27 marathons/ultras later, i am loving evey minute-despite still not looking like a runner!
    But I am, and so can you be
    Plod on!
  • whoops , didnt mean to press submit

Just to add
    Doesnt matter how heavy you are,or what has happened in the past.
    Dont put it off
    Seize the chance to take control back over your life
    I never, EVER feel worse after a run
  • Hi I'm Jules, 31 and the inspiration for me was seeing these women running past my lounge window once a week! I really admired them.

I was a nurse but got a back injury which at one point I thought I would never walk normally again let alone anything else! But the thing that I have always wanted to do was ski (bear with me on this!). I have put off skiing for several years now due to being worried how my back would take it....then I thought of running....I want to get fit, want to have a cardio exercise that will also improve my core strength ready for skiing.

OK so I have discovered an old knee injury which as reared it's ugly head, but nothing is going to knock me down, I've been through worse pain than that! I am officially addicted already!

Anyhoo I'm waffling...but would just like to say that finding these forums has really kept my eye on the ball and I am determined to keep this up!

Oh and we're going skiing at the new year...and thinking of doing a 10K later this year and then a half next year...

That's me!

Jules
  • … and so the fun begins …

WELCOME to the INSPIRE runners club thread

Thank you to everyone who has taken the time to post a bit about themselves on the front of the thread. There are some very moving stories and a hell of a lot of inspiration in every post.

Welcome especially to Morgs, IceQueen, Happychap, Kwilter, Beaker, Jo and Jules …. I hope you have liked what you have seen so far to want to come and join the ‘club’.

For all newcomers I will just add a few comments here that might help you make sense of what goes on ;-)

Bring Forward List

Fairly frequently, but not with any particular regularity (if that makes sense) I post a ‘bring forward list’ onto the thread. I keep this list in a word file, update it as required then post it when I have time and it seems appropriate. The list contains the following:

1. A list of the ‘races’ that people on the thread are due to run (or walk/run as the case may be). It is in date order and in the format … who is running, where, how far, and when. In this way we are able to support, motivate and encourage the individuals as race day approaches etc. I’ll be posting the list tonight so you’ll see what I mean. Anyone who has entered a race (or races) and wants to be on the list just needs to include the details in a post to the thread. I will pick this up and add to the list.

2. Photo Links. Some of us have uploaded photos to the web for all to see … of family and/or race days or anything else that we think is worth a view. We have used the Yahoo ‘My Photos’ website for this. If anyone else fancies doing the same, just set up your photos and give me the link and I’ll add it to the list. If you don’t know how to set up My Photos then ask on the thread … there are a few of us that can help with this.

3. A ‘Best pages to check if you are new to this thread’ section. This is just a list of pages that are worth going back and taking a look at. Obviously at present it will be very small (ie. One entry), but as time goes on and the thread gets longer, this will increase. It is there to save folks having to trawl through endless pages to find ones that contain some very memorable posts worth checking out - because they inspire, or they show a great achievement, or have some invaluable advice etc etc.

4. A link to the old thread. As this thread was born out of the ashes of another great thread, there will be a link back to the old thread. Hopefully, the last posting on the old thread will always be a ‘Best pages on this thread to check’ and a link forward to this thread (for people who have gone to the old thread directly).

So that’s it folks … I now declare the new thread well and truly OPEN !!!!!
  • INSPIRE Running Club - Race Details

Mike – Trentham 10mile – 23rd July
    Daniel - Plymouth Aquathon, 500m sea swim, 5k run – 19th Aug
    Dingus, Peterhead - Peterhead 10k - 27th Aug.
    LE & Hubby – Overton – 5 mile – 2nd Sept
    Allien - Jelly Tea Run - 10 miles - 10th Sept
    Mike H - Lichfield 10K - 10th Sept
    Em, Forest Of Dean - Badminton 10k - 17th Sept
    Siân & Mykey – Neath Port Talbot Cancer Challenge – 5k – 17th Sept
    Uk Yankee Singleton, Kent - Faversham 10k -17th Sept
    Dingus, Peterhead - GNR 13.1 miles - 1st Oct
    LE - GSR 10miles - 22nd Oct
    INSPIRE Ladies – Dingus’ 5K Kilt run, TBA

Best Pages to Check if you’re new to this thread

A ‘must’ for all newbies to the thread – lots of inspiration – Pages 1 to 3

Take a look at our old thread for more inspiration ….

Old Thread

Photos:
    DingusOTHEmandbelleMykeyPlodfatherUK Yankee… {url=http://photos.yahoo.com/daniel_lugg]Daniel’s Photos … LE’s PhotosAllien’s Photos