Resistance Training for legs

Since starting running a year or two ago, I have reduced my resistance training at the gym from 4-5 sessions per week to 1-2 sessions per week. Further I no longer do any weight training on my legs on the premise that running is resistance training itself. Am I wrong? If so, what resistance training do others use to specifically target the legs?

Comments

• drewdrew ✭✭✭
    One of the main benefits of leg exercises is that it will help avoid injury, especially for the knees. Most weight training programmes for runners suggest you do leg extensions, leg press or squat, leg curls and calf raises. I also do abductor exercises. I generally just do one set of each, using the "stripping" technique, twice per week.

It is well recognised that the best strength training specifically for running is hill reps.
  • Whats the stripping technique please?
  • The gym I go to has a ban on nudity - but I wouldn't want to be missing out...
  • drewdrew ✭✭✭
    Stripping technique is something I picked up off Korsa King a few months ago. Nothing to do with nudity!

You simply start off with a weight you can manage for just under 15 reps. As soon as you've reached breaking point you "strip off" some weight or decrease the weight by 10kg or whatever increment is on the machine and keep going. You may only be able to manage another 4 or 5 reps but you then do the same again and again if you want to. From what I've read 3 or 4 "strips" is enough.

This technique is really painful.

Once you've finished you simply move onto the next exercise.

When I started doing this I was struggling to bench press 75kg. 2 months later I can now do almost 15 reps at 105 kg, so it must work.

The technique also allows me to do a complete workout in less than 45 minutes.
  • Sounds like the kind of exercise that makes you walk funny and not be able to reach the back of your head to comb it once you've finished.

But probably incredibly effecive.
  • That's an impressive bench press for a runner - even on a machine - especially at 15 reps.
  • Must be swinging that heavy sword that has built up those biceps!