Support, Advice and Inspiration .. Come join us ...

Comments

• Just had to do it … be the first normal post on the new thread that is!

Just a very quickie to say I was very good and did my run/walk on the treadie tonight even though it still felt like it was 100 degrees in the conservatory where I keep it. Managed to do 1 mile in 16.57 secs – not as good as Saturday (unless I mis-timed Saturday … which wouldn’t surprise me given the chatting going on!) – but still good for me. Kept going for another 30mins fast walking only. Hoping to put a bit more effort into it all this week … by NOT run/walking on consecutive days and by RESTING properly. I would really like to be able to give a good report by the end of the week.

Allien – how was the Jesmond Dene Womens Race yesterday? Hope you enjoyed it.
  • Hi OTH, fancy seeing you here!

Welcome everyone, new and old! I really hope you like our new home and that you make it your own.

Well, race report coming up...

Boy, was it hard. 5.4k in temperatures of 28 degrees (even though it didn't kick off until 7:30). I wasn't in the right frame of mind at first, and I was a bit sore from Saturday; the heat didn't help.

I met a nice lady at the start - Christine - who cheered me up as I was looking at the other runners and feeling quite insecure about my ability - most of the ladies were wearing club vests.

We started last, and I'm ashamed to say I left her and tried to follow the pack. I don't think I went off too fast, but there were some nasty uphill climbs that I struggled with since I haven't done much hill training.

I thought about walking just before the half way point, but the fact that I've run further than this on a few occasions now made me keep going and I didn't think about stopping again - even after I finished I just kept going - one of the marshals turned round and said, "It's ok, you can stop now!".

I don't know my time because I didn't set my watch properly (too busy talking) but it will be on Heaton Harriers website in the next couple of days, and it was probably about 37 mins.

At the end I got a commemmorative mug (too many m's?) and drinks. I even got chatting to some of the Tynedale Harriers who run at Hexham and they've invited me to their sessions (5 weeks free to see how I get on). I'm thinking about it. Sorry INSPIRE but I may be joining a second club!

Anyway, I feel really bad, because the girl I was talking to at the start came in last. We gave her a big cheer and she burst into tears; she was gutted. She'd hoped to run the whole course in 13 min miles, but had found the weather and the hills too hard and had to walk some. I went to speak to her (she is doing the Jelly Tea run as well) and I tried to remember all the support and advice I've read on here but I'm worried that it may have come over a bit patronising - (I'm not a very good verbal communicator). She is, after all, far more accomplished than I, having done the GNR last year.

I didn't get to tell her about our group, but I will if I see her in September (and hopefully I'll be able to redeem myself).

Allie
    x
  • Whoops .. first mistake already ... sorry Dan messed you phot link up ... here it is again ..

Daniel’s Photos
  • Just put the last post on the old thread at the 5th attempt (I hope) ... it was really weird ...

I tried 4 times and each time the system crashed ... do you think the thread had a life of it's own and didn't want us to go??
  • Maybe... I could have been upsetting things - kept trying to get the last word in. I don't know why but, paradoxically I'm always so energetic after a run.

Glad I didn't get the last word (that wouldn've been awkward). Nice last post OTH.

So,

we're open for buisness then....
  • Bloomin 'eck...what a day to be stranded away from my pc for the day??? Bad timing Em!

Gonna get some serious reading in tomorrow methinks.

:-)

Try and get mine and OTH's mile photos up too...just gotta digitally enhance 'em first...

Em
    x
  • Hi Em. Hope you had a good day.

Missed you, but we still managed the 4500 mark.
  • OTH, by the way - good treadie session tonight :)

To echo LE (or maybe UKY)- When is your next event? Perhaps another milestone on the list is in order?
  • Hi Em ... we sure did miss you. And now the old thread is missing us .... strange eerie silince over there ... already the tumbleweed is starting to roll through the pages ....
  • LOL Allie ... I can't get past 2min run/walk ... I will not contemplate another race till I do ... this is my burden for not being 'good' and resting properly etc.
  • Misty - Well done on your run, as Allie + LE says best to take it slowly on distance work, the speed comes after once you're happy + comfortable at the distance. Even more so in this heat.

Allie - good run, in this heat also. Nice to see the last person getting apllauded.
    Hope you have a good time with the running club + enjoy it.

Plod- No worries about the gym sess, you'll get there, just persevere. Just get yourself another run.

OTH - Don't be too hard on yourself, you had a pretty hectic time of late with work. You'll get back on the routine soon.

EM - can't beleive you missed the changeover !!!

Welcome to all the new folk, happy running !
  • Morning...it's me!!!

Got up early to catch up a bit before work.

Hello nice new people...hope to catch up more really soon, lovely to meet you. :-)

LE...fantastic run...congratulations!
    Lovely to see Misty, I missed you!
    OK...also discovered Plod is a tree hugging hippy...LOL friend! (Me too!!) :-)

Allie...we're heading to your home town for the GNR too! Mart is running...I'm shopping! Fancy a training run on the Saturday or Monday? I'll be bringing my gear, but if I'm alone it will be the hotel gym. Would love to see you either for a few miles and smiles or a coffee and a chatathon?

I predict a riot is on...and it's a bit early to be feeling so zingy, but I just had an enforced couple of (?) day's break from running and I gotta wait 'til late tonight before I can go...I'm away to see if i can harness some of this energy and apply it to my work...? Whadda ya reckon???

• OK...I didn't leave for work yet...been reading back a bit more carefully whilst eating my brekkie.

Yvonne, good luck at the drs tomorrow...hope you get some useful advice, but if you want a more running oriented spin on your problem maybe you could see a Physio? They might be better placed to not only get you pain free, but advise on what is causing the problem so that it does not reccurr.
    We are lucky in that our gp. is a runner though. :-)
  • Morning all! Guess what...I got up at 5.15 this am and ran 3.5 miles!!!! Actually, a tiny bit more!!!!

And I could do it.

And it felt good.

I'm so chuffed I can hardly tell you all (3.5 is longest distance I've ever run non-stop!!)

Allie- great run last night. I've stopped running during the day and even in the evenings because of the heat so kudos to you my friend! And I'm sure that your kind words of encouragement would have penetrated Christine's (?) gloom. I know how bad she must have felt. Thats how my RFL was. But there is simply no accounting for the heat!

I'm on site for most of today so wanted to check in early.

OTH- you've been so well organised orchestrating all of this. Thank you!

Happy running everybody
  • Hi UK...Good going girl!!! Bet you feel really good now. :-)
  • Morning all!

I am V pleased with myself. Went out for my first run since knee played up last night. Did run2 walk2 and knee today is fab!!

Woohoo I'm back in the saddle! Now I've just got to get back to where I left off!

Have a good day all.

Jules
  • Oh yeah, OTH, would like to add to your race list (will be my first!).

I am doing the Women's Hydroactive Challenge in Hyde Park 3rd september.

Cheers

Jules
  • Well done Jules! Its a good feeling to get back on the road!
  • That's great news Jules! You got a rest day scheduled for today now?

How far is your run in September?
  • Go Jules! How far is the run? Well done on your run last night - did you feel inspired by the forum?

Great going UKY - I don't know how you manage to get up so early, but I suppose it's the best tome of day. Well done!

Em - I would love to meet you for a run that weekend and we could go to the GNR finish and cheer on all our running friends together too. Looking forward to it already.
  • Great Al!!!

Is Ada running it?

Can you think of a suitable (easy to find) meeting place for a run, and mail me?

We are arriving on the Friday or the Saturday, then leaving on the Monday.

It's 12 min miles though bud, OK? Slower with gossip!!!
  • I've just checked the results on Heaton Harriers website. I came 150 out of 171 and my time was 34.55. 5.4k is a strange distance so I'm not sure how this compares to my other runs.

Looks like Christine wasn't last after all.

171 was a poor turn out. There were supposed to be 500 runners. Maybe the weather put them off. At least Christine and I made the effort eh!
  • morning all, hello to all newcomers, good running allien and OTH and HFJ.

Did a 1 hour spin session and another hour in the gym yesterday, was so hot and the air con was broke, like a greenhouse in there. really enjoying the spin, its hard but at the end it feels so good.

This morning i started on the run 15mins walk 1 run 15. I managed to get round 5k in 31.05 so another minute and twenty seconds off the pb, ive taken off nearly 5 minutes in two weeks, at this rate ill be going sub 20 for the aquathon!lol. I found the last 5 minutes really hard and did stop twice for 5sec walks, i dont know why but sometimes my legs just stop!. anyway good luck to anyone running in the heat today!.

Kwilter, if your around i think i might join you for the plymouth half!
  • Em, yes Ada's running, Mart, Dingus and Morgs too, Christine from last night, and a guy from work... and about another 50,000.

12 min miles is good for me. I'll find a nice route and let you know. Where will you be staying?
  • In my eye you were 150/500 Al. If your buddy was last of the 171, then she was 171/500!!!

Then there are the millions who didn't enter if you want your rating boosted even higher!!! Well done to both of you, and the other 169 runners who did it.
  • We are staying in the Novotel near the airport. Should be a good weekend.
  • Daniel- I know what you're saying about your legs just stopping. This happens to me too, many times on hills. Although i'd like to think that its a physical response, I actually think its mostly mental. I have found a new running friend that I call Running Head. I talk to my Running Head and say things like 'go on Running Head, don't let that nasty Lazy Head take over' 'Well done Running Head, we'll take it easy at the top of the hill'. It feels ridiculous, but its working for me! Keep up the good work, you are truly an inspiration!
  • Hi FOAD, great going. Another PB - you've records smashing all over the place. Well done.

Good gym session too - there's no way I could have managed that. I ASPIRE to get to your fitness levels and your 5k times.
  • Hi there Em.

Sounds like a good group of INSPIRE runners at the GNR!