Support, Advice and Inspiration .. Come join us ...

Comments

• Hi, can anyone join in? Can't believe how quickly this thread has grown!

Feeling fat and (nearly) 40 I went one click too far on the race for life on-line entry form and was suddenly comitted to 5k on Bristol Downs this year. Thankfully the training plan got me through it in one piece, Cancer Research got the sponsorship money, and I got the running bug. Struggling at present with the heat even though I'm an early morning runner, and also feeling unable to progress much as I seem to lurch from one niggling injury to another. But I'm perservering and find all this stuff on the website hugely inspirational, so thanks to all you posters out there!

Plod on everyone! :0)
  • LOL qwerty (that's nice and easy to type buddy!!!)
    'one click too far'...I like it!!!

Emmilou...I really know what you mean about feeling alive...that's how my running makes me feel. :-)
  • Heelo,

Here goes!
    In March after a painful split with my partner and having to move house with my five year old son, something positive really needed to happen. At 27 years old 5ft9 and 17 and a half stone I was sinking deeper into depression and smoking heavily. Decided the only way to feel good was to feel good about myself and be healthy and happy for my son. I was taking beta blockers, anti depressants and cholesterol tablets all before my thirthieth!

A mate of mine said she was going to apply to do the FLM in 2007 and that if I wanted she would devise a training plan for me if i wanted to enter with her but I would have to give up the fags. I agreed, 4 months later I'm now 14stone I havent had a fag since March and I completed a Race For Life in June in 30mins (woo hoo!!)

Im no longer need any of the medication and my son cycles while I run. I eat better, I sleep better my self esteem is growing. I even gave blood yesterday for the first time ever! I love the fact that Im setting a really positive example to my son and he loves the fact that we spend so much more time together.

I love running, I love the new me and I love this site and these forums for being here when I feel like giving up!
  • Ps. Ive entered the Swansea 10k in September and the Cardiff 1/2 marathon!!!eek
  • OTH hi - yes thanks for the nagging then - I'll happily repay the debt and nag back. I am suprised how well I've done in all but the weight loss.

But not nearly as suprised as I am by the growth of this forum!!!!

My back problems stem from when the bed collapsed. No we weren't .....

My son then a <1 baby was crawling off the end so I dived to catch him and the bed collapsed under me .... he was fine - I ripped the muscles across my lower right back. 2 weeks immobile and now nearly 14 years of anything from strong pain to "just" a stiff back. I then hurt the lower left with an accident on a treadmill when the belt slipped.

Prevention is better than relief so have a few fav core exercises I try to do regularly but often forget once the pain goes.

I did 12 weeks of pilates (floor only) and can recommend it.

And I'm an expert at disassociation.

And BTW Bourne you said your post was boring but you also got in the phrase "crawling along a limo bench seat in Las Vegas" ...... hmmmmm
  • Ice QueenIce Queen ✭✭✭
    Matilda - Wow you've really turned your life around :-) I'm doing the Swansea Bay 10k as well - are you one of the people I see running up and down the cycle path? I keep talking myself in and out of the Cardiff 1/2...
  • Mathilda...great stuff!!! I'm supporting Mart (hubby) at the Cardiff half...nearer the time you'll have to give me more details so we can be there for you too...we're good supporters...clappy things, singing, whistling the works (OK you might want to go ingognito now???)

Em
    x
  • Matilda - brilliant , when is the half? , I'd go for endurance don't worry about speed if you are going from 10K to a half . I've been getting quicker on my 10k but lost endurance so I'm running slower but further. I'll do an hour and half tomorrow but at a slower pace than my 10k time.
  • Bit concerned that by the time I finish the half everyone else will have gone home but its not until Oct so as i run the weight faslls away and magically i will run faster (thats what happens in my mind anyway!)

Cardiff half and full is Oct 15th 9am (OMG) and Ice Queen no Im in the Rhondda so I run under the shadow of the mountains and go for the half and ill see you there!!!! Im hoping that before long ill need a trophy/medal cabinet hee hee

thanks everyone.x
  • Sorry ... just can't keep up!!! Welcome to all of our newcomers. I am posting list again. If you are not on it and should be please click on my email logo and post me details. I know I've missed some but it may be because there is no date or no race length or simply 'cos there are so many posts!! LOL

This is really taking off ... I am soo pleased we moved threads and found so many new people who want to join us.

INSPIRE Running Club - Race Details

Mike – Trentham 10mile – 23rd July
    Beaker – Chicks Chase, MK – 5k – 27th July
    Happy – 26th Wedding Day Race, Bushy Park – 7k – 28th July
    Daniel - Plymouth Aquathon, 500m sea swim, 5k run – 19th Aug
    Dingus, Peterhead - Peterhead 10k - 27th Aug.
    LE & Hubby – Overton – 5 mile – 2nd Sept
    Hotfeet – Women’s Hydroactive Challenge, Hyde Park – 5K – 3rd Sept
    Bourne – Women’s Hydroactive Challenge, Hyde Park – 5K – 3rd Sept
    Allien - Jelly Tea Run - 10 miles - 10th Sept
    Mike H - Lichfield 10K - 10th Sept
    Em, Forest Of Dean - Badminton 10k - 17th Sept
    Siân & Mykey – Neath Port Talbot Cancer Challenge – 5k – 17th Sept
    Uk Yankee Singleton, Kent - Faversham 10k -17th Sept
    Rob (Treiziste) – Cancer Research race – 10k – 17th Sept
    Ice Queen – Swansea Bay – 10k – 24th Sept
    Dingus, Peterhead – GNR - 13.1 miles - 1st Oct
    Corinthian – GNR – 13.1miles – 1st Oct
    Bourne – RunLondon – 10k – 8th Oct
    Rob – Great Cumbrian Run – 13.1 miles – 15th Oct
    Bourne – Leeds Castle, Cancer Research – 10k – 15th Oct
    Minardi – GER – 13.1 miles – 15h Oct
    LE – GSR - 10miles - 22nd Oct
    Happy – New York Marathon – 26.2miles – 5th Nov
    INSPIRE Ladies – Dingus’ 5K Kilt run, TBA

If you would like your upcoming race details posted please just post the request giving where it is, date of run, length of run – cheers

Best Pages to Check if you’re new to this thread

A ‘must’ for all newbies to the thread – lots of inspiration – Pages 1 and 2
    Corinthian – another inspiring story – Page 4
    More INSPIRing stories – Pages 9 & 10

Take a look at our old thread for more inspiration …. Old Thread

Photos:
    DingusOTHEmandbelleMykeyPlodfatherUK YankeeDaniel’s PhotosLE’s PhotosAllien’s Photos

It is never too late to join our club … everyone is very welcome .. so come on in and chat :-)
  • wow isnt it hot, its going to be hard for anyone out there today, lucky i was out there at 6.30 am :) . hope its not too bad tommorrow im doing a speed session to help with my aquathon. 6 x 1k in 5:40 with 90 secs rest. should be aiming for 28min 5k pace then.
  • <gulp>! Hope that is early in the morning too Dan ... you'll melt if you have to go out in this heat and do speed sessions!
  • fattyonadiet - how do you know all this technical stuff re: speed sessions to get to that time for a 5K - did you find it on this web site?
  • OTH can you please add me to your list?
    Swansea 10k 24th Sept and Cardiff half 15th Oct.ta
  • beaker there is stuff on this website yea, but i posted a question on the training board specific to my aquathon and time i wanted and a nice guy came and told me what i should be doing, post there you usually get an answer or maybe i could help what is it that you want to do?
  • Just wanted to improve my time over 5K. Got 29.30 first time round and am doing the same course next week - probably left it a bit later but after looking at this site I have tried to run for longer i.e. 35mins max I can do at the moment and also tried to do a set of hill runs - up and down the same hill 5 times included in my normal run of 30 mins. (The neighbours must think I'm mad or LOST) anyway feel as though its probably too little too late but any help gratefully received!!
  • Done Matilda ... will show on next bring forward post :-)
  • what's an aquathon? like a tri without the bike bit but think that's a dualthon? or is it just the swimming bit? I'll stick to dry land - not the best swimmer that's for sure!
  • oth - i mailed you my race but is it easier just to mention on here? i have some photo's too but no idea how to get them too you!!
  • Thank you OTH!!- does everyone else run in this heat or am I being a wimp- may leave it till after eight pm?
  • i ran at 9.30 last night - too hot until then! Not a wimp just sensible Mathilda - Go For It!
  • I tend to go out around 9:30 or 9:45 pm too. Uaually for about 40 mins at the moment. Usually cooled down a bit, but I wouldnt want to go any later as I like to be in the light in our neighbourhood if at all possible.

I would love to be able to go out at 6am, but I do freelance work till the early hours of the morning sometimes, so its not really an option.
  • matilda - i intended to do my normal 7 miler for a monday but after opening the front door quickly decided to make it shorter! Ended up doing 4 miles but then went a bit mad and went for a speed session!!
    Although it's hot once you get going you can get into a rythm and maybe catch the odd breeze I've heard may be knocking about?!
  • although have to say it's hotter today and have opted for a rest day - then again am teaching a body pump class at 6 :0(
  • Is the centre where you teach air conditioned, Emmilou? I dont envy you if not!
  • Cheers guys,
    I tend to go in the evenings for about 40 mins as its only me I need to go at a decent time cos I got to take me boy with me and much later than 8 is either unreasonable bedtime or involves babysitters and I could possibly do 6am but not grumpy morning boy could!!
  • Welcome to Emmilou, qwerty and Matilda!

I find if I choose somewhere with trees or some high hedges, after 7.30pm seems to be okay for me. Used to go in the morning but I think I run better in the evening, low blood pressure and blood sugar is worst for me very early in the day.
  • I have trouble just sitting down in the heat, never mind running. Early morning running is great - no-one around except the mad dog lady (the dog's mad, not her. Lovely chocolate labrador but one day I think it will probably floor me), some startled rabbits and hot-looking sheep. Lots of peace and quiet before the madness of getting the children up for school etc and at this time of day not so many insects to inhale.
  • Emma, I would like to move into fell running too. Being fit enough to tackle The Yorkshireman Half is light years away for me, but do you know of any category C Short races in the Yorkshire area that would be good for the beginner?