Chicago Marathon 2006

Comments

• My target will be somewhere around 3hr 40, all going well.
  • PB - 3:10 (BQ!)
    Coops - 3:40
  • Okay, I have lurked long enough and now it is time I joined this thread. And PB5 another Scot joining.

Having run my last two marathons (NYC and FLM) in 4h 5 my big aim for Chicago is anything under 4 hours.

When training for FLM I longed for the summer and light mornings and warmth, I never thought it would be this hot!! This morning was better as Edinburgh had a haar making it cooler and I had a great run this morning.
    In August have a 10k and half marathon entered and another half early September so they will be good benchmarks to see if I am on target for under 4.

• I know what you mean Lofters. I hate running in the cold dark days, and told myself my training could start properly when it was warm - eek!! I didn't bargain for this!
  • Hi Lofters, welcome aboard. Know what you mean about FLM - it was freezing this year for training.

It'll never last! August and September can't possibly be this hot - it is Britain, after all

PB - 3:10 (BQ!)
    Lofters - 3:59:59
  • CaledonianCaledonian ✭✭✭
    I only wish I could run in the heat (Aberdeen had warmest day ever on Monday at 29.8c....went out on bikre for 40 miles though) I am still injured and getting quite concerned as I have not run for 11 weeks now and see no immediate recovery....tempted to try a run tommorow and see how it goes.

my PB is also 3,10 but a long long time ago...struggled around 4 hour mark in Santiago and NYC last year but having lost three stone in 16 months I feel I could do around 3,40...aye if fit enough to run.
  • PB - 3:10 (BQ!)
    Caledonian - 3:40 (if fit!)
  • ok - my PB is 4.05, so I'd be delighted with anything under 4. If I can't do it on a fast, flat course in the autumn, I don't know when I will (mustn't put myself under any pressure though....)
  • Andrea my thoughts as well although I have a PB of 3.40 but that was in my youth so I should have no excuses apart from age!
  • The list is growing then...

AndreaB - 3:59:59

Lofters - marathon runners only get better with age, so you've got no excuse!!
  • PB - that's me told then. Under 4 hours here I come?
  • I'm not getting any younger either, but I started from a low and slow base, so I'm hoping for improvement for at least a few years. I did get a 10k PB a few weeks ago, so there is hope.
  • Congrats, Andrea. Any more talk like that and we may have to put you down for 3:45!
  • I seem to be in the club that is good up to about half marathon and dire after that, normally due to my lack of long run training.

5 mile PB - 33.01
    10K PB - 41.03
    Half Marathon PB - 1:36.21
    Marathon - 4:07.58

This time I've promised myself I will do the long runs rather than dying on my backside at mile 19 like I normally do, and hope to hammer my PB, but time will tell!
  • After a big PB of 2:51 in Boston I was hoping to target sub 2:45 in Chicago but after a 4 week injury and slowly coming back into my running that time might be a bit unrealistic but I am willing to put my neck on the line and say 2:45. No harm in dreaming!!
  • My only bench mark for a prospective time is what i ran in New York 2 years ago, which was 4hrs 17min.

I want to beat that, but I'm up for a challenge, so maybe I can set the bar a little higher. I'm looking to beat 4 hours.... but being a gentleman, I guess it has to be ladies first... so my time to aim for is.....

Y2Jimbob - 3:59:59 and a half.

(In all seriousness, completion is my main aim, and the knowledge that I can complete the distance again!)
  • Good stuff gents. I suspect Padams might be joining B5D on a ridiculous time when he sows his face on the thread.

Oh, and I realised I'm allowed another 59 seconds for Boston qualifying!

PB - 3:10:59 (BQ!)
    Y2Jimbob - 3:59:59 and a half
    Big 5 Dreamer - 2:45
  • PadamsPadams ✭✭✭
    Same as B5D, would be happy with anything under 2:45.

Padams - 2:44:59

PB - I don't think I am doing too much, I am following a P&D schedule and have actually not managed to follow it very accurately so far (due to work and wanting to do some races). My problem has always been endurance (I only really started running about 18 months ago other than track at school 7 years ago), so most of my training is at a steady pace at the moment, and my mileage is not that high compared to some.
  • Everyone's getting the excuses in nice and early - I like it!!
  • I wish to add to my excuses: changing jobs on 1 September, moving house on 8 September, foolishly entering the Great North Run on 1 October and general idleness and reluctance to get out of bed on Sunday mornings.

Jimbob - my aim is also really to get round and feel not too traumatised by the experience. I ran NY in 4.18 in 2002, so it sounds like we're in the same ballpark - my 4.05 was after an endurance hiking holiday in Iceland.
  • Oh you are all way to fast for me. just returned from week in Tuscany and those hills were a killer on my training runs! Still, long run today and it's a heck of alot cooler back home in edinburgh...

Zed - 4:15
  • Sorry to say that I have no made the decision to pull out of Chicago.....still unable to run after three months injured but as i kept up cycling and swimming I was confident i could do it on a few weeks training....however i start a new job on 2nd October and the fact that I will be at the Ukraine v Scotland football match in Kiev in week two of my job I felt it would be taking this piss to have a few days off the following week. kiev is also a friends "Stagger" so would have had to lay off the drink with a marathon the following week.

If I can run in the next couple of months I may enter either Dubai or Houston which are both in January....I know people in both and may manage to co-incide a work trip to Houston as i am sure i will be there every few weeks.

All the best to all of you on 22nd October.

Do I get a refund on entry fee?
  • I'm just joining this thread (and sorry i've not read back all the way through it) but i'm running Chicago this year. Ran London 04 in just under 4.5 and NY last year but had picked up and ankle injury playing footie a month before so ended up hobbling round in 5:08...so this time i just want under 4. 3:44:59 would be lovely though...!
  • Hi John. Welcome aboard. Having just lost a Scot to a stag weekend and lost cause of a footie match, it's good to have him replaced so quickly!

Sorry to hear it Caledonian - probably a wise decision. Not quite as wise as my decision to go to Greece with my best mate last week. I think I've set my training back a month with various excesses. I did attempt a r!n, but only lasted half an hour.

Back in full training this week!

John Lally - 3:44:59
  • The dreaded speed session this morning....managed it well though. I need the speed to catch up with the rest of you though!

Another 5 miler tomorrow at 6am! Loving it really I am...

Sorry to hear Caledonian pulling out. You might be able to defer?

• I will definitely defer if possible....away to look into this right now

The Athlete.....i am not lost to a stag week but more due to injury...and certainly don't look upon the fitba as a lost cause...we are a nation on the up....and soon looking down at our over-rated and boring southern neighbours (did you not see the u19's in the Euro final at the weekend...the futures bright, the future is tartan!!!
  • Keep telling yourself that, Callie!
  • I feel like a very absent minded parent having started this fred off and having ignored it for a couple of months.
    I've nearly finished playing around in the water and on my bike so it's time to get back to the serious stuff again of wearing out countless Asics 2100's.
    I've had 10 days recovery (kind of) since my last mara which was massive p.w. and I can just about walk. But with my worn out copy of P+D under my arm, I've got high hopes for chicago. Just need to book flights and a hotel and I'm there...
  • Is anyone else running the 10K in Regent's Park this Sunday? Fitted in perfectly with the RW sub 4 schedule so i'm running it. 7 miles this afternoon so I hope that cloud cover of yesterday comes back!

• Sorry to see it has not gone to plan for you caledonian.

John Lally - 3:44:59
    Welsh Alex - Sub 3:44

Haven't started training yet though, but did Exmoor Seaview last Sun and doing RTT shortly.

Still have to book it all, have my race entry but done nothing else.