Barr Brady Helensburgh Half Marathon

Scotty4Scotty4 ✭✭✭
Ran this in 2003 and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Will be coming up from Kent again and am looking forward to getting bladdered with my uncle down his local bowling club after the race :-)

Comments

• Scotty4Scotty4 ✭✭✭
    Got my number yesterday and still haven't warned the relatives that I'll be dropping in on them :-)
  • :)

Did this last year and, although I suffered due to my stupid decision to wear a black t-shirt in the heat, it was a pb and was fun.

will be there again this year :)
  • Deffo thinking about it, given I live here. Have to see what the legs are like with a test run later this week.
  • Hail Hail

Just back from hols, but I'll be there. Not planning to race so anything 1.21 will be ok.
  • Lol RB. Just out for a wee pootle eh?
    :oD
  • Hail Hail

Summat like that 2T. Ran a new half pb of sub 1.19 in Edinburgh Marathon in June. Did my first speedwork for nearly 2 months this afternoon and managed 6 x 1k reps. Will see how I feel on Sun morn.
  • Test run done - I wont be running. Enjoy though guys - with any luck you'll get a decent day for it.
  • Scotty4Scotty4 ✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear that 2T.
    Am reeaaalllly looking forward to the 450 mile drive on Saturday :-)
  • awwww just got into running (just joined runnersworld) but I grew up in Helensburgh. Back in England now but will definitely plan a trip up for next years!
  • I have memories of Helensburgh ...

... do they greet you at the end of the race by curling their lips and saying "You'll have had your goody-bag"?
  • Scotty4Scotty4 ✭✭✭
    Just checked the results from 2003. I've got 1:41:02 to beat, which means knocking 5 minutes of the time I set a couple of weeks ago at Dartford..........Eeeeeek!!!
  • Hail Hail

Decent enough race today. hadnt planned to race, but just "pootle" round as 2T put it. Got caught up with the chasing pack, and ended up coming home either 11th or 12th in 1.20.07. Strong headwind in the first 5/6M but other than that, good conditions. Good to catch up with some other forumites.
  • Hi all, my report for today

although I was slightly slower than last year, I felt I paced myself better this time. I have missed a quite a bit of training over the last few weeks so I was expecting a slower time. (1:29:20) unconfirmed.

I started to struggle at 9 miles to the finish. I'll do a bit of training on Tue, Wed and Thu and I should be OK for the Haddington half-Marathon on Saturday afternoon.

Running Bhoy you should visit this site for logging your training and race results. It is smashing! A lot of other forumites are already registered.

By the way you are running well, 1:20 is still good going, good luck with the trip to the States.
  • Hi,

Have just returned home on a wave of incredulous joy. I can't believe I've smashed my PB by miles and beat 1.40 having targetted 1.45.

The course was very runner friendly - pretty flat with some nice undulations but no tough hills. Coupled with a gentle sea breeze and a light drizzle at the start; conditions were great (although slightly muggy towards the last four miles).

The marshalling was superb and the fact we were running on an open busy road was irrelevant. A great setting as we ran Clydeside for most of the race and the proximity of changing rooms and and empty swimming pool at the finish was the crowning glory.

Excellent value at £8.00 this is an absolute gem with probably around 400 runners - enough to get a tow and easy enough to find your pace from the start.

Only minor minor suggestion to improve for next year is that it is impossible to drink from paper cups.

Thank you Helensburgh.

Roll on Loch Ness!

David
  • Glad everyone enjoyed the race, good to get feed back about organisation etc. We do try our best. Look forward to seeing you all next year.
  • Scotty4Scotty4 ✭✭✭
    I PB'd too! [with a hangover!???]
    Perfect conditions for a Half.
    Thanks to all the organisers.
    Hope the lack of a marshal between 11 & 12 miles wasn't a problem for the back markers. I would have felt a wee bit lost if I hadn't had anyone to follow through that estate after the railway bridge.

Cheers
  • Hail Hail

I know what you mean Scotty. I was up the front and still felt a bit confused through that estate. Loads of marshals in the early stages. Surely one could have been spared for that section?

Anybody any ideas on when the official results are up? Still not there on Scottish Athletics.
  • Scotty

Linki does not work

I ran 2 hrs 35 secs and my target was 2hs so pleased.

Live in London but love Helensburgh as a place and my in laws live in Gearlochead so I had to run although not 100% fit

Fantastic route so nice to get out of London for a week. Would love to run next year but normally on hols when this is run