Options

Fat Blokes.

I've got an annoying injury and I can't figure out for the life of me why it happened.
I know some things just do, but this is weird. I have 'patellar grind', apparently, and can't help but wonder if it might be partly because of ageing running shoes.
But then I think... I've hardly worn them!
I wear them in the gym sometimes, and occasionally while cycling too, but have had them since May 1st. Mileage has been pretty paltry since then - I think at most they've done a maximum 180- 200 miles on the road of actualy running.
So as a fat bloke, do I need to replace shoes more frequently to avoid nagging injuries or does 300-500 miles still stand for a pair of shoes? I'm about 16 stone and not exactly light on my feet - very dense, only about 5'6".
Anybody? Is this a feasible theory?

Comments

• Options
    Yes

500 miles too far!!
  • Options
    Oook!Oook! ✭✭✭
    As a rule yes but are you sure that you are wearing shoes appropriate to your running style?
  • Options
    I'm no expert, but I think it will depend on the type of shoes you have bought.

If they are lightweight cushioned models, I suspect you will wear them out well before the 300-500 miles since the impact forces are much greater.

If you have some 'sturdier' shoes such as brooks beast, which are often recommended for the heavier runners, I would think they would be fine for 300-500 miles.

I myself pronate quite badly, and when I started, I had lightweight cushioned shoes and very quickly destroyed the cushioning. Even though I knew I hadnt run 300 miles in them, they were definately shot. Once in more supportive shoes, they last fine.
  • Options
    Ook - spent two years pretty much injury free running in them, so I think they're good for me. Had a couple of people check out the gait etc and they reckon these are the ones. However, I do plan to go and get it checked out once more using 'puter technology just to see if it comes out with anything different.

Any excuse to buy stuff.

I have a new pair waiting to go, I'll break them out then see what happens with the injury...
  • Options
    Yes, but that's probably not why your patella is grinding. THAT is more likely to be patellofemoral syndrome, which has very little to do with the mileage on your shoes.
  • Options
    I see. I thought it might be perhaps my knee was angry with me for running on shoes that I had killed the cushining in.

D'oh!
  • Options
    Oh, and Steven - ta for the response. I'm running in Saucony Grid Omni 5, so they should have reasonable life I'd have thought...
  • Options
    Steven - "badly" is a bit inappropriate ... it's quite natural to pronate you know! "quite a lot" would be more apt :)

I am also heavy. Fighting weight somewhere around 15 - 16 stone. I pronate a bit and my weight also means a strange two-way movement of my Achilles as I strike the ground and move through the gait cycle. Unresponsive shoes give me knee trouble; luckily I have found shoes that keep the two-way twitch dead level and are cushioned enough to let me run for miles without knee strain. However, I don't use shoes for more than 250 miles if I can help it.
    An expensive hobby, this.
  • Options
    I think it is best to play snooker instead of all this running malarky. All you need to buy is a stick.

I'm sure Snookerers World is probably a better magazine as well.

:)
  • Options
    Fair point snapstinget. Should have said i pronate excessively.
  • Options
    RFJRFJ ✭✭✭
    Im around 14st with a reasonable frame, I have never got 500m from a shoe, most being to wear at 200m and anything over 250 is starting to bear / bald on the soles.

Have yet to have any knee trouble, but do have big problems with achilies (mainly because it was damaged badly a several years back).