barcelona-rotterdam marathons

Comments

• kg
    am leaving today at 12.30 from dublin---what time do you reckon you will be at the expo on sat? there is a pasta party at 2pm at the expo---could meet there--how will we know each other?i will be wearing a navy jacket with a broad white stripe on the front with the lettersMX56
    didnt race last sat--have picked up a chest infection and am desperately trying to get rid of it --seems to be easing--hope it goes--have read somewhere that it is very dangerous to race with a chest infection--cant remember what actually happens--see you in Barcelona
  • jimimac
    my flight arrives at 2.15, then a bus to the expo,i would guess around 3.15 at the registration. i will be wearing a GLASGOW
    HALF MARATHON teeshirt.
    ran a 5milers on sat. in the rain and 2mile this morning maybe another 2mile tomorrow.
    hope your infection clears up.
    see you on saturday.
  • jimimac
    arrived back in SCOTLAND alright to sunny but cold weather,feeling a bit stiffer today
    sending you a e mail regarding sunday.
    hope you had a good remaining few days.
  • jimimac
    hope you arrived home safely. i arrived home with a blister on each foot,but now ok.
    have tried a couple of runs this week, my legs felt like lead but will persevere with
    my traning for the BLACKPOOL MARATHON.
    have you decided what you next run will be.
  • ken
    am in deep depression----have got severe shin splints in right leg--actually had this before the race but decided to run through it---leg is really sore so went to a physio and am told not to run until i get a special pair of orthotics made---had already paid £140 for a pair from Scholl`s but physio said they were rubbish---had hoped to do the Belfast marathon on 6th May but the physio says to forget it---am swimming aand cycling to maintain some sort of fitness but it is not the same---really miss the running--when is the Blackpool Marathon? Maybe i could get fit enough for that----keep up the training
  • jimimac
    sorry to hear about your shins,but maybe rest is required. the blackpool marathon
    is on the 22 june.
    still trying to get myself out the door,
    my legs still feel heavy,this should soon pass,pouring with rain todayand extremely windy, may try later.
  • ken
    i may set myself a target of the Blackpool race and hope to be fit for then---we have a half marathon here on the 20th june and i was sort of aiming to run it but would prefer a marathon----physio also told me all my trainers were rubbish except for the saucony grid hurricane---they are all too light with no stability----we live and learn
    --get the gear on and get the miles done ken---keep in touch
  • jimimac
    weather great here at the moment out for a run this morning 4m. legs felt a bit heavy towards the end but feeling ok just now,
    see how they feel when i wake up , but i
    feel my running appetite is returning.
    let me know how your training is going.
  • jimimac
    had 3 runs this week,ran 10m today and feeling fine. next race is 1/2marathon
    in may then another in june just before the
    blackpool marathon.
    how are things with you?
  • kg
    legs still sore---can only manage 3-4 miles before i have to pack it in--just doing gym work and swimming---will just rest and wait for the new orthotics and take the physio`s advice---its hard to stop running though---glad to see you are getting back to form---keep it up----weather here is marvellous,which makes the inactivity worse especially when i think of all those wet windy winter days out battling through the wind and rain----that`s life
  • jimimac
    i had a couple of runs this week but my legs feel heavy. i also think i need new shoes,try for something longer at the weekend hope things get better soon.
  • kg
    out on thur to check the legs---ran a 10k on grass---slow at 52 mins but legs felt fairly ok after ---got up today (fri) and legs were still fairly ok---am hoping this keeps up so that i can get back to the sat long runs---got new pair of stability trainers---feel like bricks on my feet and got blisters after only 5 miles---still as long as i get rid of the shin splints i wont complain
  • jimimac
    good to hear you are back in the running
    having a rest day today, but should be out for a long run tomorrow.im on holiday this week due to the kids easter hols will try running during the daylight hours.
  • kg
    out again today---ran 8 miles on grass--slow again at 66 mins--leg sore after so will wait till tomorrow to see if it eases up---longest run since Barcelona---this is the longest i have been injured---have missed 4 races here ---still as long as it gets better i wont moan--(too much)--hope the weather over at yours is as good as here --great here---are you still aiming for the Blackpool Marathon?
  • jimimac
    yes the weather here is fantastic having to run early mornong /later at night.
    i have 2 h/marathons before BLACKPOOL,one
    in may the other in june.hope your legs get better soon .
  • jimimac
    how are things going, had a few small training runs this week,hope to get back to normal training next week as the kids are back to school.still trying to entice the
    guys from work to go to the BLACKPOOL MARATHON.
    have managed to raise over £300 plus the company gives a pound for pound donation
    for our BARCELONA MARATHON.
    still havent heard any news on our picture
    certificate for the above.have you?
    keep on running.
  • How was Barcelona Marathon? I read of your frustrations to enter. I did the Rotterdam and it is by far the best marathon of the 7 Ive done. Beats Dublin, Paris and Loch Ness. Do it next year its a must.... Hope your back on form..... EEyin (off to Lochaber tomorrow and Belfast the following Sunday...... Yippee)
  • eeyin
    the race was very well organised and mainly
    flat apart from the last 2k which had a slight incline. the place was fantastic and
    the crowds plentiful and cheered you on the
    goody bag was better than loch ness and the
    medal was huge, i would definatly go back.
    if i cannot get into LONDON next year then
    i will go for paris,rotterdam or even
    barcelona again.
    how did you get to rotterdam?
    ran lochaber a couple of years ago,it was very differant from london,best of luck in
    your 2 marathons.
  • Kg ..... I posted a race report on the Rotterdam thread. Suffice to say my time was way down due to the heat and sightseeing the previous day but the race was very well organised and supported and Rotterdam is a wonderful city. I will do Rotterdam again but I have to do London at least once and Barcelona is on the to do list as well. Better goodie bag then Loch Ness then it must of been impressive. Lochaber was hard and no medal either ;(
  • kg
    just back after 2 weeks in Majorca with kids and grandkids---weather superb but legs packed in again and only did one 5 mile run---will go out tomorrow and try a long run as the legs feel rested after the 2 weeks rest---have not got anything from Barcelona yet--- am tentatively aiming for Blackpool if i can get fit
  • EEyin
    welcome to our 2 man thread---Barcelona was great---almost totally flat and fast---only gripe is that no sports drinks were provided-- i have just arrived back to rainy Belfast today but am not fit enough for tomorrows marathon---did it last year and it is quite tough--about 50% uphill--- best of luck
  • jimimac
    received my certificate yestrday,very nice
    with a line crossing photo and split times
    worded in spanish.
    ran a 4and 5miler over the last couple of days hope to run a bit longer tomorrow if the rain goes off.
    possibly thinking of the DUBLIN MARATHON
    will have to wait and see.
    i have the MONKLAND HALF MARATHON on next sunday, see how my legs last.
    keep on running.
  • Thanks for the Support jimimac ...... I did a comfortable 3:39 weather was spot on, I wonder where the organisers arranged the terrific weather window. Impecable timing weather wise.

• kg
    got my barcelona cert and photo yesterday---photo is small but quite good--mine shows me limping across the line being passed by this wee woman going like a rocket---but i had actually beaten her so i didnt feel too bad--did a 6 miler today--knackered--cant figure out whats wrong---may just have to rest a bit more---are you still planning towards the Blackpool marathon?---i have also pencilled in Dublin---its a great race with a great course with only one ferocious hill at the 20 mile mark---did it last year--good luck with the half on sunday
  • EEyin
    congrats on the super time---everyone was complaining about the wind and reckoned it had cost them around 10-15 mins which makes your time even better---was a great day--i was at the finish line up to the 4 hr mark so would have seen you finish--but didnt know your number
  • I was wearing a Blue and white saltire vest and did an out of character, stupid mad dash to the line to avoid going into another minute. Almost recovered and Ive decided to enter the Ben Lomond Hill Race scheduled for this Saturday 1.00pm and looking forward to Prague Marathon the following Saturday. This running lark is just grand.
  • jimimac
    finished the half marathon in 1h 44m the
    weather was sunny with a bit of wind.
    ran the race without my long shorts and
    paying the price as my thighs are sore
    so having to walk like john wayne.
    my next race is the east kilbide half marathon the weekend before the BLACKPOOL
    MARATHON. will try for some long runs before then,my legs feel ok today.
    keep on training.
  • kg
    sympathise with the thighs---wore normal shorts for my first marathon--finished with blood running down my legs---never again--stick with the long shorts---congrats on the good half marathon time
    i still have not done a decent run since barcelona----legs are still not up to scratch even with new super-duper orthotics--am entered for a 10k race on Sunday but dont really feel up for it although maybe a good hard race may be what i need
  • EEyin
    obviously you are not a great believer in resting---thats a hectic schedule you are tackling---i am rather envious---whats your secret for avoiding injury?
    last year i raced a half marathon, a 10k,another half marathon,and a 5 miler on four consecutive days and felt great but this year, one marathon and my legs have still not recovered 8 weeks later?????
    Any ideas arcane or otherwise
    how far is the Ben Lomond hill race?
  • Ben lomond was 4.5 miles up hill and 4.5 down....height is around 3200ft (8 degree incline) I did a long race report and posted it on General/Scottish Runners and also on Events/Ben Lomond Hill Race. Im ding it again soon with a colleague and pencilled it in for next year.

Injury.... I guess not doing too much too soon....gentle increases in miles only ...I have averaged only 27 miles a week since the New Year and Cycle 40-60 miles a week. and a half hour abbs class every Monday with about 20 svelt lycra clad ladies. Been lucky with colds this year also.

I really think most of what we do is in the mind. if you think you can do it you probably will.