Race Report - City of Liverpool 10K

Hello

Felt excited about this one as any sporting event I had taken part in in Liverpool had always been very competitive. The weather was a bit chilly I had difficulty staying warm before the race started.

Alan Black was doing a good job creating some atmosphere over the tannoy at the start of the race.

A lot of runners at the start but getting away wasn't too difficult as it was on a dual carriageway with two starts one for sub 45 and one for the rest.

I was hoping to get around the forty-minute mark, hit 1k in 4:10 and 2k in 8:08 now for the hill which I found extremely difficult in the Liverpool half marathon. Hit 3k in 12:38,

so I had lost 30 seconds up the hill, managed to claw some back going downhill to 4k at 16:25 (you never seem to get back down the hill what you loose going up it!). Big crowd lined the streets around 5k which I managed to get

through in 20:25. First time my hands had felt warm, but this was a bit slower than I had hoped for, so it was going to be difficult in the second half. I had practised running negative splits in training but not at this pace. Hit 6K in 24:38 and 7K at 28:56.

Breathing was getting quite heavy now and deep down I knew the 40 minute mark was probably out of reach. I still had a good chance of a new personal best.

Looking ahead on the flat sections there seemed to be loads and loads of runners in front of me. 8K was reached in 33:18 and 9K in 37:40.

Managed to complete the course in 41:30 (Offical time 41:40) so beat my personal best (previously 42:48 in the Mersey Tunnel event).

A very enjoyable race with a large field (2400 runners), big crowds, clearly visible kilometers markers and a flattish course. I hope to do this one again next year.

Comments