speeding convictions

hi i hope everyone's well and enjoying their running, i was wondering how many points you can have on ur driving licence b4 getting DQ'd. this isn't related to running much, i know, apart from the fact that i was travelling to a race in another county when i was caught on camera doing 34mph in a 30mph zone. this was in lancashire, they have lots of speed cameras there.

i now have 6 pts on my licence (3pts from another minor offence)and am driving really carefully wherever i go (which i guess i should anyway). so does anyone know anything about the rules? any info much appreciated.

Comments

• fat facefat face ✭✭✭
    12 points I think
  • your allowed 12 providing you have been driving for longer than 2 years but i htink that means your allowed 11 and dsql on 12
  • NessieNessie ✭✭✭
    I think it's 12 SS.

Take it easy!
  • It's 12 and you're out (for a year, I think?).

• popsiderpopsider ✭✭✭
    They only count for 3 years though.
  • fat facefat face ✭✭✭
    34 in a 30 does seem a little harsh. I had heard that the generally accepted amount over the limit went something like:-

35 in a 30
    46 in a 40
    57 in a 50
    68 in a 60
    79 in a 70.

Read a good 'un in the paper today about a Leeds Utd footballer who has just been done for drink driving. Seems the police caught him getting out of his car outside his house after some of his colleagues had phoned the police when they saw his car in the city centre and they wanted to check that it wasn't stolen. Sounds like they were letting the police know that he was DD'ing to me. Serves him right. Tee Hee.

• How do I avoid the speed cameras travelling between Belfast and London?
  • thanks for that, i thought it was like 5 for some reason, and was dreading sending off my licence for the 2nd time! i'm sure i wont amass that many points in 3 years!
  • o, and do i need to inform the council that i'm travelling into london on the motorbike?
  • No, RR, but you may need to inform the coastgaurd.
  • Goo5eGoo5e ✭✭✭
    Get caught doing 100 on the motorway and you wont have to worry about the points, instant ban.
    Yes ban on 12 points, but banned for how long ? think you will find that is decided by the court, only drink driving is a year by default
  • I don't think there is an accepted amount over the limit (otherwise that would be the limit). It's discretionary if it gets to the point of police/court involvement and you can mitigate to a certain extent UNLESS it's 20 over any limit then you'll be banned automatically. Take heart though, most cameras don't have film in them and are often forgotten when it comes to reloading the film unless in a real black spot. It's definitely 12 points, by the way, on a totting up system and various points carry forward so if you have some which are 2 years old and some fresh ones, beware the fresh ones coz they'll obviously stick around longer.
  • How do they catch you on the motorway? Do the police have to follow you for a while or are there cameras on any motorways?
  • though do i need to register with london council to take my motorbike in???
  • Oh and 12 month DD ban is a minimum (reduced by 25% if you attend DD rehab course), it's up to 2 years if you're way over and the magistrates have discretion to send you down in various circumstances.
  • fat facefat face ✭✭✭
    There's cameras on some m/ways but otherwise the police have to follow you for certain distance in a car with a calibrated speedo or one with all the clever gadgetry for measuring other car's speeds.
  • Goo5eGoo5e ✭✭✭
    RR
    if you are talking about congestion charging no, bikes are free
  • So basically as long as you keep your wits about you you're OK? Are all police cars on mways marked?
  • they were talking about having cameras on bridges which matched up your reg'n so that even if you slowed down before the cams it would be your average speed between the cams that got you in trubs. big brother or what... think it was too pricey in the end.
  • Goo5eGoo5e ✭✭✭
    There is a simple solution to this problem of not getting caught speeding --- dont speed, problem is my bike dont know the meaning of that
  • all traffic cars should be marked BR
  • I always though they gave you 10%+/- on the speed limit because cars are not 100% accurate and as you get faster the speedo becomes more inaccurate.

So 33mph in a 30 is Ok as long as you're speedo is correct or reading under

There is always at least 1 police car on the A1 between leeds and durham. They have speed guns but I think they can use the camera vans (new to me but I think they are a NE thing).

Simple answer - don't speed! It's one of those things that bugs me. I don't care about motorways but anywhere where the are cyclists, runners, horseriders then speeding really p!sses me off. I'm a reluctant car driver would much prefer to comute another way if it didn't take me all day.

Watch me get caught speeding tonight :o)
  • Mmm maybe. Dodgy speedo won't get you anywhere the polizei though, coz you shoulda fixed it. Same with brake lights, tyre tread etc.
  • Solution for bikers - before speeding, flick the switch!
  • I've just had notification of my first-ever speeding conviction - three points and a fixed fine for doing 40 in a 30 zone. It's a soft one - the 30 zone was a "village" consisting of half a dozen houses either side of the A5 in Buckinghamshire plus the live gatso which clocked me at an unearthly hour - but I've been "lucky" on numerous other occasions so can't complain.

Maybe my ancient Micra which does 60mph tops will have a bit of cred now.
  • I was running roadside by rush hour traffic this morning, generally getting round faster than the cars... dunno if I enjoyed people grimacing at me or not... certainly didn't enjoy their fumes. new route on monday i think !
  • would it not just be so much easier if u found someone who had the same car as u and u had plates made up with their number on ur car so u could go as hard as u want with no fines, points, etc..........
  • it's already been done road runner.. regularly.. and a good one for congestion charging too
  • I feel I must give the definitive answers.

12 points is disqualification (apart from a driver with less than 2 years experience when it is 6 points). You can only be disqualified by the court who will "invite" you along.

There is no fixed leeway. The limit in a 20 is 20, 30 is 30 etc. Yes a speedo has to accurate within +/- 10% but that is only mitigation.

Points stay visible on your licence for four years and are counted for three.

To put false plates on your car to avoid traffic enforcement carries a maximum sentence of LIFE IMPRISONMENT! A custodial sentence is usual. The automatic camera systems are augmented by people remember, who can track routes and habits.

The new digital cameras do not use a film so are running all the time.

There is a significantly greater chance of survival for pedestrians hit by a car travelling at 30 rather than 33. Think about it. And, yes, you do get pedestrians on quiet country lanes in the small hours. I think these points may have been overlooked.

I find it easier to stick to the MAXIMUM speed limits.
  • yeah, good poin.............nahhhhhh! I think i'll go and get the pneumatic lever fitted to the plate on my bike, or go for the cheap option and make a string-pulley system.........