Over 60s training.

Comments

• 'Evening P.
    Nice to know you're well.
    Mrs. JJ has the same 'fun run' problem with the term 'Recovery Run' - another oxymoron.
    Back later.
    JJ
  • You are both in tune and made me realise it does seem to be the right thing to do. So a ten minute jog and a stretch then!
    Thanks for your prompt replies.
    Hi again Pussy.
    impey
  • cealceal ✭✭✭
    LI
    Looking forward to your time being posted later today.
  • cealceal ✭✭✭
    Pussy,
    Glad you have been following our 'conversations'! It must have been very frustrating for you not to'get through'. It has happened to me once or twice but if I waited a while the probelm seemed to go away.
    We are coming to Cornwall on Saturday 17th for a week any chance of a chat/visit/run together? We are staying at the Red Barn Cottage, Village Green,Blisland. I also have a tel no. if you want it. All being well we will have the rest of family with us but due to my children's father still being in intensive care, this is a bit hit and miss at the moment.
    Glad to hear you are running regularly again, it sounds a good plan to carry you through to the winter. Well done for the fun run result. I wonder who came up with the name fun run? Obviously not anybody who had done any running at all!
  • Hi all.
    Just managed a new PB allbeit in terms of seconds!
    10k today was 55m 30s.,last year was 57m43s. so not too bad I guess. Will have to train that bit harder especially to make my state pension year the best so far(2004).
    Now to see how our Ceal does tomorrow.
    Impey.
  • cealceal ✭✭✭
    LI

Well done indeed, especially after the sore throat, interrupted training etc. I will try my best.

My children's father died this afternoon so my heart is not in my run at the moment, but it may help me to get out there and run hard and make things hurt.
  • Ceal

Sorry to hear to hear the sad news of your ex-husband.Its very sad for the children. As you say, do your run tomorrow just the same. It wouldn't help to cancel it really.

We had decent weather for the 10k although the sw wind was rather impeding at times.

Other good thing today was Lincolns win in the Div.3 semi-final playoffs for those with an interest in footie.

Take care tomorrow.
    Impey
  • LI.
    All PBs are good news. When you're over 60 and getting faster it's a good feeling.

Ceal.
    Just noticed your latest posting. I understand how you must feel in spite of everything. A displacement activity is always useful and a good run with your own thoughts will be helpful.
    Sorry!
    JJ
  • Hi Peeps,

Ceal, best of luck tomorrow! ( sorry to hear about your ex husband. I think the race will make you feel better)

LI, well done on yourPB!

Hi JJ and Pussy
    Ceal, I am interested getting in touch with the makers of your knee wrap. Tomorrow I will be going to watch maybe run the Hogsmill as lots of forumites will be there.

Have a great weekend!
  • Belated 'hello' Spud. You enjoy what's left of the weekend as well.
    'night.
    JJ
  • cealceal ✭✭✭
    Hi everybody,

Just back, it was fun, it was challenging, weather was excellent. Definately could be described as cross country. Time I think was 1:52 plus some seconds, which is a minute faster than 2 months ago. Will know for definate once the results are posted. So I feel that was fairly creditable considering all that's gone on this week. Felt proud to be running a race which was cross country terrain. So thanks everyone for encouraging me to stick with it. I will tell you more about the course tomorrow.

How are the legs today Impy?
  • Ceal.
    Well run young lady. Going a minute faster on a 1/2m with x/c must be worth a couple of minutes faster still on all-road.
    Gonna have to look to my laurels next season with LI doing PBs all over the place as well.

Did a nice steady 10m this morning. Took time to pause and smell the roses, as they say.
    JJ
  • I think I am up to speed with your activities even if I am not up to speed myself, if you see what I mean. Well done all the PBers. Sorry to hear your news Ceal, but well done for the PB. Have made a note of where you are staying. By all means give me the number. You will still be a fair distance from me, and because I am in the middle of running the sail training course it is pretty unlikely that I will be able to get to see you. But you never know! Bodmin moor is bandit country so beware when you go running - especially at night. Wolves howl and old smugglers rattle their bones.

Good luck peeps
    P
  • Wolves and smugglers? Rubbish! It's me out training when the moon's full.
    JJ
  • Ceal
    Good on yer getting a faster time on your half-m! Cross country at that.Well done.
    My legs are ok. Reckon your advice on pre-race run and stretch as well as post-run stretch kept stiffness away. I felt I could have done a gentle run today but there were other things to do.
    Are you waiting 'til October then,JJ before racing again? I'll not likely be doing any half-ms this year but toying with the idea of one in next Spring.
  • Due to do a 5k soon with daughter who's just worked out that running is good for you. At age 27 that's what I call sharp.
    I may just get the distance but nothing serious now until the weather cools down in the autumn.
    Not quite true. If I wake up on a Sunday and it's very cool, and there's a local event, I may enter on the day. It's never happened yet but I reserve the option.

One thing about not racing is that you can train very hard if you wish 'cos you never need to worry about stiffness or tapering.
    JJ
  • cealceal ✭✭✭
    Pussy,
    I quite understand about the distance and your commitments, however, here is the number just in case------01208 850970.

I was very scared to hear of the smugglers and wolves up on the moors and was going to give them a wide bearth. But on hearing that it's Johnny out there training I'll be there like a shot!!
  • cealceal ✭✭✭
    Just a bit of a fill in about the race yesterday. It was full of twists and so many turns. There was a record number of marshalls on the course to accomodate all the turns. It was a two lap course with several loops within each lap where you sort of double backed on oneself. However, it was all so very varied that it wasn't a problem. Great hilarity at the start of race as we firstly encountered the network of tree roots, so it was eyes down, then suddently there were cries of a tree up ahead in the middle of a faily narrow track. There were small fir cones on the ground and many many small twigs etc. Next leaving the woodland we were on grassland, very uneven, complete with mole hills and pot holes. There was one short but steep bank to get up, ok first time round but hard the second time. There was also a very steep decline which was fraught with dangers so one had to check ones stride. There were some road bits with sleeping policeman. I lost time on the more difficult bits and then tried to make it up after I had recovered on the hard surfaces which were flat. One of the hardest bits for me was a stretch of soft trail, nothing to grip on, a bit like running on soft sand. I thanked my Pilates' exercises many time for the work we do on wobble boards which have strengthened my ankles. I enjoyed the course but would not have done so if it had been muddy. The scenery was beautiful and I did cast my eye from time to time to look at the many wild flowers and the bushes of rhodedendrons, but I did not cast my eyes too often from the ground as many people fell, one of which I think could have been a stretcher case. I like to work my way up the pack after the first 3 miles and take great delight in casting my eyes on the person in front and work my way towards overtaking them. However, from mile 9/10 onwards I was on my own, noone behind, which I like, but noone in front which I do not like, especially as one kept looseing one's natural pace because of the terrain, I had nothing to chase, also by then the marshalls had gone to sleep and I had to keep shouting which way when I came to a turn!
    Well that's about it, just waiting for the results and hoping I have not been too optimistic with my time!
    Well done if you have read this far.
  • cealceal ✭✭✭
    Spud,
    Did you run or did you watch?
    If you give me an idea of the area you live, which maybe sounds like Surrey, I will find out the name of a good person for you to contact re the knee wrap.
  • cealceal ✭✭✭
    Just one other thing to add before you get totally bored of me.
    I had a massage on my legs after the race, something I have not done before, I usually wait until the next day. I can recommend it. I would have expected my legs to be sore today, however, they are not, well not yet anyway. I will keep you posted on that one.
  • cealceal ✭✭✭
    JJ
    Yes I too had thought about doing another half soon, however, we go away all next week and then June 3rd I start my 5 weeks of 5/6 mile races. So I do not think that it will be a practical proposition at this moment. As for the hairy hands, well I probably would go under 1:50!!! Get shaving JJ. although prickly ones wouldn't be much better! My next half is in September, so I will work towards that target once the shorter runs are out of the way.
    Your daughter is getting keen then. How long will it be before she beats you? Does she have that target in mind!?
  • cealceal ✭✭✭
    Latest update, the official time was 1:52:56, I was a couple of seconds under a 1 minute PB. I was first in my age group 23rd lady out of 66 and 129th out of a total of 222 runners.
    I forgot to say the water was provided in polystyrene cups, one cannot bend them drink out of , so I had to actually stop to take on water.
  • Hi Peeps,

Ceal, well done on your race, you sure have a talent for 1/2Ms!

I forgot to say tha tI live in Hertfordshire ( a little village near Bishops Stortford).You asked me about the Hogsmill. I plodded very slowly, around 12 minutes a mile as I could not run. The knee was OK at the start but after about 5 minutes it started to hurt.

I have been looking for someone to treat my injuries but it is so difficult... I am nearly giving up. Last week I went to see two physios ( at a cost of £ 90) and no chance of a diagnosis let alone treatment.

I know that I have ITB band friction but they just don't understand what it is.

• cealceal ✭✭✭
    Spud
    I can endorse what JJ says. Also, along the same lines, inserts in the shoes can help, for some people they have the reverse effect. One can buy Dr Scholl inserts quite cheaply to try and see if they make any difference. Do you have a high arch, normally with IT problems the weight is thrown outwards and the arch needs support. Everyone is different. I am so surprised that the physio's do not know what to do about ITB friction. I will try to find out for you the other info. I would be suicidal if I could not run. I would think that the shoes you need are the ones in the cushioned catagory. I run in Nike Air Pegasus.
  • cealceal ✭✭✭
    JJ
    Ladies like me find it easier to win our age group than men just because there are less women over 60's still running. However, in the race yesterday they gave a prize to the over 60's male runner but no prize for the ladies. That is the norm. Last year when I did a half at Lake Vwyrne (spelt wrong), I won a cash prze for coming first and not only that they gave 2nd and 3rd prizes as well. Hats off to them I say.
  • cealceal ✭✭✭
    JJ
    This is geting kinky!! My imagination is getting carried away.