FLM 09 - 3.45ers!

Comments

• Seconded, good luck to you both RD.
  • Thanks Guys.

He is looking really good today, I passed on your kind words. The t'internet is a mystery to my dad, but he appreciates it anyway; so do I.

Got out for a run today too. Top of the mountain opposite my house. It was gorgeous up there this morning.

Things are looking up!
  • RD: good to hear things are looking up and and of course best wishes to your father.
  • Hi All

Am probably being optimistic but hoping to go under 4 hours for my first marathon. Having never run further than a Half I realise this will not be achieved without considerable effort/pain/luck but going to give it ago anyway!

Really quite excited about the whole FLM thing already.. sure that will disappear during those dark wet winter long runs!

Hope your dad continues to improve Ripped Dap

QQ
  • RD, glad your dad's looking good today!

Hello Quickquack :o)

Dark wet winter long runs ... oh, the joy! Over the years I've become much less wussy than I used to be about running in the rain, but I'm not looking forward to the random patches of ice and the way some normally benign street-corners turn into wind-tunnels.

I'm sitting here on a cloud of optimism too, and will have to see how I get on at Abingdon before committing myself to a target time for FLM.

• Fortunately we don't have any ice yet even up in the North but I was forced to turn back on my run tonight by some particularly hazardous mud. Looks like summer is well and truly over!

I presume you are running the Abingdon marathon Velociraptor?

I am of course in awe of all you people who have already done a marathon...I suspect I shall do one and one only !

• I got slightly sunscorched on my long run yesterday, Quickquack. Summer isn't over yet :o)

Yes, I'm running the Abingdon marathon, or at least participating in it. If I train without interruption between now and then and can't squeeze under 4.30, I shall take my leave of this thread and aim for sub-4.15 at FLM.
  • I have been looking at base training for the period up to Christmas and have read the 'Hadd philosophy'. Seems a little one dimensional but intend to combine a distance based gradual endurance build with periodic speedwork (gentle at first) targetting VO2Max and Lactate Threshold improvement and using HR training for recovery and bulk miles to ensure pace remains slow. Does this seem reasonable? I intend to use the Hadd heart rate test to assess progress along with resting heart rate figures. Anyone else got any ideas?
  • Anyone here running the Bristol Half on the 17th? If so what are your targets?
  • Sorry Mike, that's all rather too technical for me !! I'm just about getting to grips with tempo runs and a(tiny) little bit of speedwork !
    Good luck with it all though.

I'm running the Macclesfield Half at the beginningof October and Hoping to go a little bit faster than last year. ( 1.55)

• Mike, I am doing Bristol. My pb is 1.40.12
    At Bristol however I would be happy with 1.49 - 1.59!!

My training has been pants. There are reasons but to be honest I hate running through the summer. It happens every year.

Interested about this Hadd approach. Seems to be a real buzz about it. Where can I read more?

Thanks for all your kind words regarding my dad. Much appreciated. He looking better again today.
  • RD, I have read through the Hadd document (link below-and takes a bit of time) and think that it looks okay if you want to spend 4-6 months simply building a base at low to lowish speeds. I suspect this is great for complete beginners or for those struggling with repeated injury but for the rest of us the lack of variety would make it difficult to stick to (it would for me). One think that struck me was the very high mileage over all 7 days and don't want to train that oftern at the minute. I assume (it doesn't say) that results are much less effective with fewer trainign days and as a result I think the improvement would take much longer.

Have a look though and see what you think.

Best wishes to your Dad, I hope he
    continues to improve.

http://www.electricblues.com/Hadd.doc
  • You're all faster than me. My half-marathon PB is 2.00.47 and my marathon PB is 4.41.21. But if I don't try to punch above my weight I'll never improve, and I've never really trained consistently enough to find out how well I'm capable of running.

I think I may have the ideal combination of running partners now. A very good beginner with whom to do short recovery runs, a Speedy Person whose base-training pace is about my intended marathon pace, and a newly-acquired Garmin 205.
  • Velo, I have the older Garmin 301, its outstanding and has made outdoor running much more attractive because it doesn;t matter where you go you have all the data! As for speed my Half Marathon PB is 1:39 but Bristol will be more like 1:50-1:55 due to recent injury. Getting round will be good enough!!
  • I've no idea what I'm really capable of having never really run more than about 12 or 13k's. My 5 and 10k times are good (at least I'm happy with them), and my next test is the Cabbage Patch 10 miler next month.

As for running partners, this is one thing that I don't really have. My wife has just started running and is 4 weeks into a 6 week "get you round a 5k" plan and I've done all but one of the training runs with her, but really just for support (and to hold the water bottle).

I'm very much tempted to join a club (Ranelagh Harriers in West London) to help get me through the winter!
  • Velociraptor,

My previous marathon times are;

Cardiff 2004 - 4.42
    London 2005 - 4.23
    Cardiff 2005 - 4.45
    London 2006 - 3.58

All that I did for London this year was to really train consistently. Five days a week, no excuses. One long run, one tempo run, one speed session (400m - 1600m), one general aerobic and one recovery run. The Garmin helps BIG TIME because there is no guess work, no under training & no over training. My five longest runs totalled 100 miles and a long three week taper where I cut mileage but not the intensity. During my taper I also did loads of pool running.

Consistent training is the key though in my humble opinion.

Dont forget warm up races, 10K Feb, half in March.

I also disovered SiS gels. I can't stomach Lucozade sport so these were brilliant even though I had to carry them on a belt.

Thanks for the link Mike, will give it a read.
  • I would echo funkins problems with running partners as my wife doesn't really run. I do run with my neighbour but even though he is 15 years older than me, his long run pace is manageable but too quick for me if you should follow the recommended paces. Tis usually means I'm beat on a Monday after hanging on for more miles than I should!
  • Mike, just read the article. It makes an awful lot of sense to me.

Aeorbically during a marathon, I have no problems what so ever. It is my legs / glycogen depletion.

Will seriously consider adopting this. Running at below 145bpm sounds quite difficult but I can see the theory.

Will let you know how I get on and a big thank you.
  • I've always trained alone until now, and didn't use any gadgets apart from a watch until I borrowed a Garmin 201, which was hideously bad at picking up signals in the very built-up area where I live but got me into the habit of looking at numbers on my wrist.

I'll still do my LSD runs on my own, but at least for the rest of this year I'll try to fit those in on Monday afternoons between work sessions. That will also get me outdoors in sunlight during the winter months, which is important for psychological reasons. As the runs get longer I'll have to move them to weekends.

Not having time to cross-train much is probably a good thing because I won't go to the gym and wreck my legs for running.
  • RD, no snags. I tried running 3 miles at 145bpm and it is much more difficult than it sounds and felt painfully slow. I think the slow degree of progress may be a disinsentive for me but I intend to apply the principle to my bulk mileage runs. Glad you found it useful. I could have used a biology degree to understand some of it though!!
  • I also have done most of my running alone and only use my trusty "runners world" freebie watch!.However I am now a member of a club and recently have run in company once a week which really has been great for building up the miles and finding some new routes. I find I tend to push myself more when running alone.. or is it that it just feels harder ?!.

I have thought about buying a Garmin and have read reviews etc but for some reason have not got round to it.. Perhaps that's becuse if i know my speed/HR there will be no excuse for not training properly !!

Also at 5ft 1 with a small frame not sure it will sit ok on my wrist...'nother excuse!!
  • QQ. I'm only 5'6 and the garmin is fine. You should go for it, especially with the HR monitor. You're right in that there are no more excuses but it guarantees you are doing the most efficient work out in line with your aims. Splash out, you won't regret it, its an ace but incredibly useful gadget.
  • Thanks Mike,

Might well forward your post to my hubbie as way of justifying impending purchase! Actually he shouldn't be too hard to convince as he's just signed up for his first 10K !!
  • Hi Guys! Now - tell me honestly, do you think I am being too ambitious in wanting to go sub 4.00? (3.59 would do fine!) This year I ran 4.55 but had previously felt capable of 4.45 without the pesky virus I picked up in marathon week. My half mara pb is 2.10 btw. I should say that both these times were a HUGE improvement from the previous years running (took 80 mins off the FLM time)and - injury permitting - I am planning a really good consistent build up from now onwards.....I did originally consider sub 4.30 but I can't help thinking that I really should be able to make more of an improvement - this time last year I was also 2 stone overweight..so, do we think it's a realistic aim or should I scuttle off to a slower thread?? Thanks!
  • I'm certainly no expert having never even run the distance and so can't really offer any helpful advice. However having run a marathon before, you're one(big) step ahead of me
    and I'm hoping to go under 4 hours. I plan to train appropriately and so my thoughts are "why not aim high?"

From what I've heard, running the FLM in any time is amazing so I/we won't be disappointed whatever happens.

I would say go for it!

• Kozzie, quack quack talks a lot of sense!

Go for it.

If you don't get there; so what?

The FLM isn't really about times at the end of the day. Whatever happens you will have a blast over the next few months and a day to remember next April. Best of luck to us all :)
  • By the way, on the Garmin thing....I could not run without mine. Had a 201 which conked out after two years sterling service and now I have a 305.

They are awesome; worth every penny.

As a 5ft 6, rather tubby welsh person, I find it looks very attractive hanging onto my wrist!
  • RD,

Did the Hadd 5 by 2.4km test last night. Felt painfully slow at all heart rates except 180 but should now have a baseline to assess progress over coming months. Its
    a gentle ways to get a 7.5 mile run in though!

Hello to Kozzie, I agree with the guys' comments about aims. Aim high and in the end who cares if you miss the target by a nit if you've done the best you can, especially when you consider the number of people that can't be bothered to get out there and try!
  • Go for it Kozzie. Are you doing any speedwork? It might help your times in the long run.