Let's moan about the AAA

This weekend I ran in a relay event in Stockport, which was a good event and enjoyable for various reasons.
The only problem was the officails.
I like to race with my MP3 player, as I am sure many others do. Whilst warming up I was asked if I intended to race with them in, I said yes, he said I would be disqualified, I said there was no need to be so officious, and another joined in quoting rules about needing to be able hear the marshalls.
I did not use them, but a friend in an earlier race did, and was told at the end she might be DQed, not the thing to say to someone who has just slogged their guts out for a club team.
There are two issues I have with this pettiness. As grown adults who have survived many years with headphones in 10k and longer races why is it not my responsibility to hear a marshall.
Second, if I was had a hearing problem and would not hear a marshall, would I be unable to race?
99.99% I think run and race because we enjoy it, and there are not many rules, why should AAA apply the rules of professionals to the likes of me, who will never run for GB and rarely for a club.

Whinge over. But I am sure the officials at road and fell races that I am used to, could give these track people some advice on why people run. If I was a child being treated in this way I would leave athletics. I have seen them in action at junior school events with no sense of who they are dealing with.

Definitely over. I have to get a life.

Comments