FLM 09 - 3.45ers!

Comments

• Best wishes for Mr QQ in his 10k :o) And for everyone else who is running or racing this weekend.

I've never been as wibbled-out before a race as I am about my half tomorrow. This is the first time I've set myself a living-on-the-edge sort of target time for a race, and the first time I'll have raced with someone faster pacing me.

But tonight I'm staying with good friends in London and I know I'll relax when I get there :o)
  • Ooooooh V'rap I'm actually nervous for you ! As you say , a trip to London and a night with friends is exactly the right sort of distraction. Small glass of wine perhaps ?!?

One week before my long anticipated Half I actually feel the pressure is off due to a sore knee. It got really sore on last Sunday's long run, was fine on a steady 6 miler on monday , niggled on wed and recurred this morning. Not sure whether it's ITBS but feels more joint related ?? cartilage. I plan to 'RICE' and pop NSAIDS all week then go out and see how it goes next sunday. Obviously bit fed up , but keeping PMA (resisted temptation to pawn new running shoes) and it's quite nice not to be feeling the pressure.

Hope you all have good weekend!!
    Thanks on Mr QQs behalf for good wishes Vrap and go for it tomorrow !!!

• Wine sounds like excellent medicine for pre-race nerves, QQ :o) I know food and sleep and getting to the race won't be a problem, and the kids are with their father this weekend so I won't have .

Sorry to hear you've developed an injury :o( I hope it turns out to be a selflimiting sort of thing. Who knows, maybe a week of relative rest will translate into a storming race for you.

Knowing that I have absolutely no excuse for not getting a good PB tomorrow definitely puts the pressure on.
  • QQ - hope the knee gets better real soon. Fingers crossed for you.

V.rapt - the very best of luck for you tomorrow. I will be thinking of you whilst I am out plodding tomorrow. Let us know how you get on as soon as you can!
  • Yeah, good luck to all racing this weekend and next. I'm still working towards the Cabbage Patch 10 miler in a few weeks time.
  • Hi all, good to see that people's training is going good. Have not had time to post on here for a while, so I thought I best pop in and say hello. I think I have maneged to over train the last couple of weeks, feel tired keep getting sore eyes and I have just developed a cold sore (something I don't normally get) and I have a bit of a sore throat. So I have decided on a week off, best of luck to everyone else.
  • Just back from my 20 miler. Ouch, that hurt :(

Jus, willing to bet you have hit the nail on the Head with the cold sore thing. Take plenty of vit C and rest up.

I am going to try and walkabout for a bit and try and get some blood flowing into my legs.

Cath yer later..
  • Nice one with the 20 miler, I did one last Saturday and I think it was that, that pushed me over the edge. Although saying that my long runs at the weekend normally are between 15-20 miles, but anyway time for a rest.
  • Well Done RD, 20 miles is further than I've ever run..Don't think I'd be able to stand up let alone "walk about for a bit" !!.

A week off sounds like the right plan Jus. Sure I read somewhere that your levels of immunity dip shortly after a long run. Hope you're feeling good again soon.

Thanks for good wishes re my knee , I'm sending it healing vibes.. oh and Ibuprofen. Just been to see Mr QQs 10k . Despite the thunderstorm he really enjoyed himelf and came in under 1 hour so he's really pleased. He already analysed it minute by minute on the Garmin !!

• LOL! QQ. I think Mr. QQ & I have a lot in common. Literally still dripping with sweat from a run I am plugging in my faithful Garmin to analyse things. The crazy thing today was that I viewed it on Google Earth to see where I had been on a map. Whats that all about??!! For heavens sake I had only just come from there :D

Hope V.Rapt has had a good day.
  • Well done to Mr QQ and to RD :o)

Very hot day at Windsor, and hillier than I remember, and I struggled in the heat for several miles at the start. But eL Bee alternately encouraged and bullied me round at a pace I wouldn't have sustained without him, and we should have an official time of 1.47.53, with which I am delighted.

That's my autumn target race out of the way. The marathon training starts now. Wibble!
  • 1.47 sounds excellent to me. Well done. I just did a good run in and around Richmond park. Ran for 1.40 today, and could have happily gone on for more. I've a few more weeks (until a 10 miler in mid october) and then the real training begins!
  • Finished the 10k today in 50:34 beating my PB. so I'm well pleased!!!
    But what next.......
    Am I expecting too much aiming for 3:45-4:00 if I get a place next year? ( where can I find the calculator thingy?)
    I want to run a 10 miler then build up to a 1/2 before new year but how should I schedule my training over the next few months to be ready for marathon next year?
  • Jayos: have a look through the "Quicklinks" dropdown near the top left of the webpage and try the calculator (which will confirm that you're in the right place :)

You'll also find all manner of marathon training schedules. I've not looked at any of them yet, but Mrs Funkin will be starting one in a few weeks time.

Just like you, i'm hoping for a place for next year.

PS. Well done for getting a new PB. That's great news.
  • Very Well done Vrap!!

It's great that you set yourself a target, worked towards it and achieved(surpassed) it .. Fantastic !!

You're right RD you and Mr QQ sound v.similar. There's something about blokes and maps and graphs !! I haven't actually put on the HRM yet but hubbie wore it to mow the lawn yesterday!! BTW have you tried www.gmaps-pedometer.com ( think that's the site) ?

Well done also Funkin and Jayos .. sounds like you both had good runs today

I have used various calculators which I have found by entering "Race Time Calculator" on Google. I'm afraid I'm a novice but I'm sure some of the others will be able to advise on training. With a 10k PB of 50mins I would say under 4 hours is achievable. At least I'm hoping so as my PB is similar and I'm hoping to go under 4 !! (dodgy knee permitting !)
  • Well done, funkin :o) Sounds like you're on good form.

And well done to Jayos for a good PB. With that 10k time, you're perfectly realistic aiming for 3.45-3.59 at a marathon next year. And if you click on the grey "Training" tab above, and look for "calculators" on the page that comes up, you'll get predicted race times.

For a marathon next year, you need to be building up a good mileage base now so that you've got lots of endurance work under your belt and well-adapted muscles before starting on marathon schedules.

My chip time for yesterday was 1.47.49. I was 114th woman, and 722nd overall out of over 3,700 finishers. I'm well pleased, and not at all sore today :o) If I can do THAT on a hot day when I was running quite raggedly, sub-1.45 should be achievable at my next half in January.
  • We have the map-and-graph thing here too. I write the lap times into my blog sometimes, but have to factor in an extra half-hour of number-crunching-on-the-computer time into all of the Buzzy One's runs. But I'm a technophobe and he helps me with stuff like that too, so I don't mind.
  • Well done everyone!

V.rapt, big respect to you. That is an awesome performance, you should be very proud!

Welcome Jayos! You follow v.rapt's advice, ie build a solid mileage base now and you can look forward to a stab at sub 4 no probs.

Looking good funkin! What time you aiming for at your 10 miler? Where is it?

Thanks for the link QQ, will give it a whirl later on.

Less than three weeks to the Cardiff mara! It's strange, I can't seem to get going for Autumn races....I hate running in the summer. My aim at Cardiff is to finish under 5 hours. Come the spring I will be gunning for 3.45! Strange eh?!
  • RD: i'm doing the (very flat) Cabbage Patch 10 which is Twickenham/Kingston/Richmond.

I originally said to myself inside of 75 minutes would be good but based on recent training I'm thinking 65-70 would be a decent target to aim for (weather permitting). I'm happy with my current long (they seem long to me) runs and its just a case of running the distance I know I can do, but doing it faster on the day!
  • The CP10 is on my list of races to do in the future. It sounds great fun. Doing it in under 7mm would be awesome, funkin!

RD, you and I are in the same position. I'm not aiming to set the tarmac alight at Abingdon because I won't have the training behind me for a decent marathon. But I'm hoping to be able to produce a good performance - around 2 minutes per mile faster - at London 6 months later.

I did a reasonable recovery run today and now have a splendid dose of DOMS in my quads. Tomorrow was going to be a complete rest day, but my au pair has declared her ankle tendon injury to be much better and asked me to take her out for a little run tomorrow evening so that'll be three easy miles instead. Which is OK. At the moment there's no such thing as junk mileage for me.
  • Wimbledon 10k for me on Sunday. Not really my sort of distance but I'll call it speed work. I'm only running it because a friend (non marathoner) is doing it and because its very near home. At this stage in my London prep it might be quite a usefull work out.

Some useful runs going on from what I'm reading, could be a lot of sub fours next spring.
  • Velociraptor wrote "Doing it in under 7mm would be awesome, funkin!"

Under the cold light of a new day I think I was being a little over optimistic with that estimate of mine. Nothing wrong with a target to aim for however, although the main target I'll be aiming for will me my wife at the finish line holding a pint for me!!
  • Go for it, funkin :o) I can testify to the possibility of producing times in a race that seem inconceivable from training runs.

Enjoy your race on Sunday, HRR :o)

We're having an extended family outing to the Walsall 10k on Sunday, but I don't really want to race another 10k at the moment so I've volunteered for head-counting duty. We'll have at least 5 pre-teens doing the 5k fun run, and it'll be the longest race any of them has run, so the Cavern is going to be awash with adrenaline on the morning. I'll toddle round the 3k "walk" with the littl'un, who's just slightly too little for the 5k (though when she's older she's going to be faster and more competitive than any of them), and try to slip out for a training run myself later in the day.
  • 5 miles in 40 mins this morning. Best for a long time but still nearly two mins off my PB. Looking for something close to 50 mins for the 10k on Sunday but it will be tough.
  • Well done, HRR :o)

14 miles at long slow run pace for me this afternoon, which I found quite mentally laborious. Then I popped in home for something to eat and drink and went out again for two miles at 9.5-minute miling with our au pair, who's a very promising novice runner and is just recovering from an ankle tendon injury.

I haven't had a proper rest day since my half-marathon on Sunday and did over 8 miles at just slower than 9-minute miling last night, so I'm quite happy with today's outing. Tomorrow will have to be a day of complete inactivity because I've got loads of housework to do.
  • Having read the above I'm now feeling very lazy ! Well done for getting back there HRR - hope you get your sub 50 on saturday,
    V'rap you sound like you're on a roll ! Is your training usually so full on ? Respect!.

I know I said I was going to rest the knee this week but am tempted to go out for an easy 3miles tomorrow am.... If that's ok I might feel more confident for Sunday.. Ah the pre race nerves are kicking in !! Ever feel like you're holding on just a little bit too tight ??
  • Running mate is told his knees are shot so my 3 Mon/Wed/Fri 6.30 am runs may be faster without him, but the East of Scotland at 6am through the Winter encourages duvets to be pulled over and snooze buttons to be hit.
    Do 6 miles in 43 on a Mon, interval running for 40mins on a Wed, then 8.6 in 65 mins on a Fri. Is this a decent amount at this stage in training for the FLM ? ( I'm 37, 5ft 11, and 13 stone. And male ! )
    Probably need a running club to drag me through the dark months and up my distances, and lower my times. Been rejected last 2 years. Put 3.59 as my target time. Any theories on how they decide who gets in ? i.e only so many in each time bracket etc, or fewer from up far North as its farther to travel to London etc. Over the weekend I'll find a training routine on this site and try to work towards that.
    The wee velcro ankle weights that I carry in my hands to get the breathing working harder when running with my slower mate....what do the rest of you think....do I still use them, hoping I'll float along without them, or leave them and just run harder. Hopefully one of you lot can explain the benefits and any downsides to me. They weigh 2 n a half pounds each, but I definitely feel I've had a more complete workout after a run with them.
    Last thing, I'm useless on computers, and cant work out how to get any kind of photo or character in the wee box next to this.
    Cheers.
    No run tomorrow as I'm gonna whup an old mate at golf, 14 years after I last whupped him.
  • LS, I'd be inclined to leave the hand-weights behind. Adding 5lb to your bodyweight when running won't give you any additional benefits, and holding heavyish weights in your hands will interfere with your running form and make you more likely to get injured.

Serious sympathy about having to get up and run early when you live in the east of Scotland :oS

At the moment you should probably be aiming at increasing your mileage rather than doing intervals - those can come when you're ready to sharpen up for the race early next year. A weekly long run of 8.6 sound fine, but if you can increase that by a mile a week it would do wonders for your endurance. You've obviously got the speed there already!

I think the ballot is random, though conspiracy theories abound ...

QQ, I have been known to accelerate, crash and burn before now, so I'm not going to make a habit of packing quite so much training into so few days until marathon training is well under way! I have limited opportunities to get long runs in before Abingdon, and yesterday was one of them. There'll be too much going on domestically for me to do more than slip out for a short run during the weekend.

I'm hoping not to burn out this time because I'm not wasting energy on "cross-training" activities which don't contribute anything to my running.
  • In case I don't get near the computer between now and Sunday ...

QQ, hope you run a storming time at Macclesfield :o)

HRR, all the best for your 10k. I broke 40 minutes for 5 miles in training just days before doing a 10k time that was beyond my most optimistic dreams, and you've been faster before now so I'm sure you'll do well :o)

LS, hope the east coast breeze doesn't blow your golf balls away. I know what it can be like - I lived in Dundee for 5 years. And I hope you win, of course :o)

Everyone else, enjoy your races, runs, tapers or whatever.

My knee's niggling today. Serves me bloody well right for doing too much this week. I've got indoor climbing tomorrow afternoon and hope to be excused domestic-goddess duties for long enough to do a gentle 5-6 miler sometime during the day.
  • Thanks v. much for good wishes V'rap. Not sure I'll be storming up those Cheshire hills but have decided to give it a whirl . I ran for 3 miles this morning and felt the occ. twinge but nothing too bad.. Obviously I run the risk of a DNF and I'm not sure how i'd feel about that, nevertheless I plan to be sensible and just hope I don't get the runners' equivalent of summit fever! ( could happen!)

Hope everyone has a good weekend. Enjoy your golf Little Stoker and good luck in the 10k HRR. Vrap hope the knee settles.....maybe a rest day beckons !?!