Bupa Great North Run 2007

Hi Folks - thought I'd start the ball rolling for next years race which is on September 30th

You can check out the 2006 thread forumite prediction list here

Register for the reminder service for the Great North Run 2007 here

and if you're feeling psychic - post your prediction of your time for next years race and I'll add it to the new list of GNR '07

Have posted twice incase the first post vanishes

Comments

• Hi Folks - thought I'd start the ball rolling for next years race which is on September 30th

You can check out the 2006 thread forumite prediction list here

Register for the reminder service for the Great North Run 2007 here

and if you're feeling psychic - post your prediction of your time for next years race and I'll add it to the new list of GNR '07

Have posted twice in case the first post vanishes
  • Vicki, you are just so organised!
  • well i'd post on here to get my email notifications but there's no point cos i dont get any notifications anymore anyway ;o)

thanks for all that vicki!

hi heads xxx
  • Hi Vicki,

Could you please explain how you do the links as contained in your message.

How do get the links to say what you want?

Cheers.

keith
  • I guess i may as well say hello, think i'll be visiting this thread quite a lot with the amount of training i'm going to need to do for the next one!

Hello one and all!
  • Hi folks,

Pulls up a chair and gets comfy.

How is everyone feeling on day 2? I'm still very very very sore indeed. Not going to even think about running til next week.

I've entered the Abbey Dash, 10k in Leeds on 26th November.

What are everybody elses plans?
  • Hi Rhino and everyone, PP, does the Abbey Dash fill up qucik? Im looking to do a race a month in Nov-Feb to try and keep fitness up over Winter
  • Hi Headsgone, I've heard that there has been a record entry this year which is why I signed up today, but I had no probs getting a place http://www.helptheaged.org.uk/dashregistration/Page1.aspx

• hurrah 2007 cant wait hope I get in when the ballot opens.

Vicki I intend for a 2hr 30 next year against my 3hr 21 in '06. Weight drop and some serious preparation will help and I now know what to expect.
  • Hi all
    Vicki- V well organised. Brilliant!
    Hoping to do at leats four halfs next year-Brass Monkey in Jan, Leeds in May, Yorkshireman in September and gnr (30th september! less than a year). So hopefully will be able to get 2:10 by then, but given the crowds Ill predict 2:20.
    Cheers.

Purple Plodder- really must get social sorted for Abbey Dash. Will post on abbey dash thread with some ideas. Lets face it its only 7 weeks away!!
  • Thats quick off the mark Vicky!

I have absolutely no idea at the moment what I'll be going for this time next year. I really want to crack 2.15.

I did 2.22 for GNR which was my first half, and did feel as if at least the heart and lungs had something in the tank, even if legs were mashed!

But I have a couple of other halfs planned for next year, where hopefully I'll get my 2.15 there...so....

Lets say 2.10 - testing but doable:-)

can't believe I'm planning to do this again...amazing how you forget the bad bits isn't it!
  • heya folks - the new list is updated :0

keith type: (url=http://whatever.com)whatever(/url) and replace the ( ) with [ ]

easy as pie
  • I put my name down for a reminder on Sunday evening. I want to break 2 hours - actually my aim is for nearer 1:50 by that time but from this weeks experience and the number of runners I had to get past, that might be ambitious. I'll go for 1:59!!
  • Hi guys. 2007 will be my fifth GNR, but my first as a veteran, as i turn 40 this month!

Are any North Easteners on here doing the Derwentside 10 at Stanley this Sunday ??
  • Ah, this is where youse are hiding! :-)

Vicki, can I have a prediction of 2hr and 30 mins for next year please? Possibly a bit ambitious but should be training most of the year, for a change, after what went in the post this afternoon!

===:-o
  • Nearly didn't make it onto the front page.
  • For Mandie,
    (still friends)

13.1 miles is too far to run. We are all mad. So don't do it. Instead do four runs, one after another.

Run 1 - 5 miles. (DON'T think about anything further) Huge crowds, great atmosphere, bands. Take it steady, not too fast, you've run five miles or further loads of times. Enjoy the spectacle, and remember you are part of it. Those inspirational pictures of thousands running across the Tyne Bridge? You're in them this year. Yes, you're in the Great North Run, the world's biggest half marathon. Enjoy!

Run 2 - 3 miles. Forget the 5 behind you, they're done. Think only of the next three. Three miles? Piece of cake, you've done 9, 10, 11 .. much more in training. These three are all downhill, wheeeeeee !! Great news for those of you after PBs for the event, or even if it's your first time and you have a target. Go for it here, within reason. Unfortnately, the road narrows, so you may notice it feeling a little more congested. Be careful.

Run 3 - 3 miles. SLOW DOWN. This is where you need your mental toughness and/or your MP3 player. It's a bit of a slog up the John Reid Road etc and there's not much to enjoy, but hey, if it was easy, the medal wouldn't be as important to you would it? If you're a run/walk person this is where you may want to be taking extra walks, and psych yourself up, but don't start thinking about the finish yet. Just get to 11 miles

Run4 - 2.1 miles That's nowt! Of course you're tired but you're nearly there. Now, start to tell yourself that you've done it (almost) the goody bag is waiting for you, go and get it. The last mile and a bit up the sea front is fantastic. Huge crowds yelling at you, the end is nigh. Let your spirits fly, even if you're knackered. You can stop soon. If you're after a time, push, you know you are fit, you have prepared well, and as knackered as you will feel when you cross the line, the elation will speed your recovery. Well done, you've finished the GREAT NORTH RUN 2007
  • Hi XL

I must admit I missed the downhill part of run 2 (miles 6,7,8) There seemed to be alot of uphill to go along with the tiny amounts of down!!

Stoxy, I'll head over to the Abbey Dash thread and check it out
  • seriously PP ?
    I took my original plan from the course profile a few years ago. They certainly seemed to be the easiest miles for me.

What do others think?
  • The course profile as published is a bit deceptive for us plodders. After mile 5 there is a noticeable downhill to the 90 degree left turn and the drinks station/tv camera point; after that there's undulations through to the 10-11 mile point uphill drag through the Nook (?) followed by that famous sharp drop to the shore. Road then is ever so slightly uphill until maybe last half mile of the course.

I'm seriously surpried they've not been done under trades descriptions, as the official course desciption is "flat", even though they admit they can't have official records due to the gradient drops on the course - and what is coming down must, after all, have gone up!

It's about as flat as my ar*e!!!! check over here ---> for those in doubt!! ;-)
  • I just remember looking forward to getting to mile 5 so there would be some downhill...the course elevation map shows its downhill as well but somehow I missed it....maybe it wasn't as steep as I was hoping for!! Or maybe I was too high on the atmosphere to notice....yes thats probably it.
  • Dinner time, gotta go. With the new thread I'm already looking forward to next year. And XL man, I know you don't approve of the distance but will be hoping for many wise words of wisdom to see me through my April 22th 2007 GNR warm-up :-)
  • heads - can recommend barnsley 10k in november too. enjoyed it muchly last year even though i was very poorly.
  • OOOH found you all - Vicki you are so organised! Can I predict a 1hr 59mins for next year please - Ive given up on the 1hr 55mins even tho I know I'm capable of it - I've decided to just enjoy the atmosphere!

X/L - I'm chuffed to bits we are still friends - and no matter how many times you post your theory it will always make me emotional (and long may that continue!!)
  • Ha ! I've found you.

All memories of messing up 2006 GNR have been erased and I am now in a positive frame of mind for next years ! Do we get asked to joing the GNR thingy or do I have to chance it in the ballot ?

XL man, did I say 'I will never ,ever, ever do a marathon'- I can't quite remember....
  • I had to pull out of this years due to injury, so I've defered until next year. I was aiming for 2:30 this years a a first half amarathon, so maybe 2:30 to 2:15 with another years training.

I'm looking forward to it. I've been pretty jealous of all the people posting times and experiences on here, plus all the pics on the web and stuff.

Less than a year to go, and I'm already counting down.
  • DH, I've never said I disapprove of marathons. I have the utmost respect and admiration for those that take on the challenge, and sincerely wish them all the very best. It's just not for me, that's all. The banter is all good natured.

I hope all that apply for flm get their places. Good luck to you all.

You can count on my words of support and encouragement, whatever your distance.

Mandie, getting it on the front page means I won't have to type it all out again ;0)
  • still very stiff any ideas apart from cold bath to aid recovery. I would like to go out at the weekend for a run?
  • I was very stiff but been out for a club session tonight and I feel loads better :) Wasn't more than a gentle jog but I definately don't feel as achy