FLM 09 - 3.45ers!

Comments

• Dunno, QQ. I reckon I've caught a fast-running virus off eL Bee :o) Seriously, all I can do are pass on HIS tips, and the one that shook me out of "plodder" mode was "when you're running slowly, think of yourself as a fast runner who's running slowly rather than as a slow runner".

The other thing that's made a difference for me is avoiding cross-training. Running, resting and eating properly help with running speed and endurance. Gymming and swimming just cause fatigue without contributing any useful training effect.

The "GFA" issue has started to raise its head in the past week or so, but we'll see how I get on at Abingdon first.

52 miles this week :o) I'll cut back to about 30 next week and 20 the week after.
  • Funkin, well done. If you're doing those speeds in training I suspect you'll do sub-1.15 quite comfortably at the CP10 :o)
  • Velociraptor: here's hoping so. I've given myself a 1:12 target provided the weather is reasonable and I don't do anything stupid this week. Cheers.
  • 1.12! So that's, like, 7.15-minute-miling? Hey, good for you :o)

Having gone through 10 miles at 1.17.something today, I'm planning to take a pop at sub-1.15 at the Sneyd Striders 10-miler in December. It'll be my first-ever 10-mile race.
  • Really great runs this weekend everyone. It would seem that at least two of you are going to go sub 3.45 in your next marathons based on your current times.

I had my longest run since April yesterday - 9.25 miles. Took it easy and tried to get into LSR mode but still managed to do 9m/miles. I can't seem to run slower! But I can't run much faster either - 10k at 5m/k pace last weekend was race pace (8m/miles). But yesterdays run felt relaxed and fairly easy, so overall I'm very pleased.
  • Well done, HRR :o) You're going to go a long way under 4 hours if you're finding 9mm pace relaxed and easy on training runs now.

My next marathon is in 2 weeks and I won't get anywhere near 3.45 then because I just haven't done the long runs. But I've decided to prepare to race it properly because yesterday showed that I'm not disciplined enough to resist pushing the pace in a race. What will happen in the last 6 miles is anyone's guess, but the wheels would have to come right off for me not to get a good PB.

Sub-4 would be icing on the cake.
  • Well, after Friday's morale boostin' 11 mile run in 88 mins, this morning I felt extra confident, and added an extra wee loop to the end of the run, taking the distance to 13.2 miles which I managed at an even pace in 107 mins, so again, just about 8 min miles.

Hopefully throughout the Winter, I can continue setting new targets and knock them all down. Its a hell of a boost to know I can run a half marathon on my own without water or support or gorging on pasta, and not be crying for my mummy at the finish line ! Drinking till 3am on Sunday at my sisters wedding probably isn't ideal preparation ! I dont think Guinness counts as pasta.

I'll have to go back through the thread, but have Funkin and Ms Raptor suddenly got brilliant at running ? 52 miles in a week, and you have 13 children to bathe and feed and educate ? I guess for you LSR's are like nights out !

HRR, Fandabbydozeee run for you.
    Before last Friday, I ran hard at the shorter distances, but had never really considered the wonderful world of pacing myself. Now I am rattling off distances, and doing so comfortably, like you did, it's given me much more confidence, which I'm sure you'll experience in the weeks ahead.
    AND your times will drop too !

I'm also joining a local running club for company throughout the Winter, and to get involved in more races, now old dodgy knees across the road has hung up his Asics.
  • LS: hehe. I'm not doing that many miles at present but have been very impressed with my recent progress.

LS wrote... "Its a hell of a boost to know I can run a half marathon on my own without water or support or gorging on pasta, and not be crying for my mummy at the finish line !"

Yeah, I agree entirely. At work this morning someone asked me what I did at the weekend and I replied - "oh, you know, just a half marathon on my own round the park!". I remember the first time I was able to get round the park (7.3miles) in one go, and now I'm almost double that. I'm well chuffed.

As for running clubs, if I can get out of work on time on Wednesday, then I'll be heading to the Ranelagh Harriers to see about running with them.

I'm loving the forums here just for the motivation they provide, especially when there's a like-minded group of people doing the same thing week after week. Thanks everyone.
  • Having read all the above you(we) are all sounding v impressive with our structured training progammes, pacing, and "relaxed" 13+ mile runs !! Well done all !

I agree Funkin , I also take inspiration from / learn alot from this forum.

Thanks for the tip V,rap - I will definately bear the 'Fast runner running slowly' thought in mind next time I am struggling up those hills - perhaps I will also get a T-shirt printed !! . Seriously though I am a firm believer in the power of positive thinking.

I've just come back from a sociable 6 miler with my running club.. (I would definately recommend club running Funkin) and only a few twinges from the knee , so v pleased. I've got a physio appt tomorrow who will probably tell me my glutes/back/hip flexors/dodgy running style are the root cause of my knee pain.... as long as he doesn't tell me to rest for a month !!
  • I went out and did an easy 6-miler today ... I LOVE being able to say things like that with a straight face :o) It felt like the last 6 miles of a marathon, but that's not surprising.

Joining a running club is on the agenda here too. It seems like a socially responsible sort of thing to do ... besides, eL Bee is going to need more than the RW forums and the occasional kick out the door from me if he's going to do a sub-3 spring marathon. And I'm sure some structured speed sessions and doing long runs with slower groups will do me no harm.

Being on here is giving me a lot of motivation too. Being able to talk about what I'm doing to other people who are running at the same sort of level and have similar aspirations is tremendous. Thanks :o)
  • Hi everybody

After sending of the application form I thought I would join in with the forum

Im 37 and this is my 11th or 12th marathon and im still trying to get under that 4hr mark. My PB came in 2000 which is 4:06:21.

Last year I jogged round after picking up a cold in the final weeks in a time of 4:20.

Next race ive got planned is The Flying Fox 10 on the 5th November. Hopefully I will be under 1:20 but will wait and see.
  • Mighty Quinn, welcome.
    I too am the golden age of 37, but don't have your experience in running 26.2 miles. 10 miles in 80 minutes would be a fine indicator your going in the right direction. I was well chuffed on Friday to do 11 in 88mins.

I'm hoping to do the Glen Clova half marathon on the 11th of November, hopefully close to 1hr 40. My old man did the Arbroath half 25 years ago and tells me he did it in 1 hr 44, so some day that record has got to go ! I tried to do it in the Dundee half in June, but went off too fast and died a slow lingering death from the 9 mile mark, finishing in 1hr 53 mins. Reading this thread has helped greatly, and I am now a sad geek ( according to the wife ) for hunting daily for additions to the thread !
  • Little Stoker
    I'm lucky my dad never started running till he was 59 so I do hold all the records. The problem was in his first three marathons (Edinburgh 03, Loch Ness 04 and Robin Hood 05) he went flying past me at about 20miles which meant I got a lot of stick at the club. Last years London I managed to stay in front but I was looking back in the last couple of miles just hanging on.

1:40 would be a good time and very gettable with the way you are training. I would recommend running with a club. I belong to a very small club and we are lucky if 4 or 5 people turn up but we have a good laugh.
  • Hi! I'm currently experiencing taper madness in readiness for Abingdon next weekend and stumbled across this thread, exactly my time band :)

V-rap, I'm planning to aim at a 3:50 time, so want to slot into about 8:45 min pace from the start. If by some total miracle I'm feeling strong at 20+ miles I'll try & up it a little and see if the 3:45 is possible. What is far, far more likely however is I will be flaked out and will have a little leeway in order to get my sub-4 I want!
  • Quinn, Tiger, welcome :o)

Tiger, you have my total sympathy. Since deciding that I was going to race Abingdon rather than just pottering round at 10mm pace I have gone into complete tapermania mode, and, physically, I haven't even started to taper yet! I did my "normal" recovery run yesterday, will have a "normal" resting-and-domestic-stuff day today, and plan to do a sharp 8-miler plus a swim tomorrow evening. The reduced mileage will only really start to bite after that.

I shall be aiming for just under 9mm pace from the start, knowing that even when my legs turn into lead pipes they can still churn out 9.30mm pace quite effectively so I won't crash. Or that's the theory. There's every possibility that I'll hammer off at 7.30mm pace, slow down very rapidly after about 10 miles and finish on my hands and knees.
  • I've been on 50mpw+ throughout September, my last long run was last Wednesday, this week I'm only doing about 25 or so. Consequently I feel I've got tons of spare time, I'm trying to resist doing my normal nutty taper routine of picking up an injury or digging the garden. Sitting around resting does not come terribly naturally to me!

There's something to be said about doing a fun marathon in fancy dress y'know ;-)
  • Fun marathon! ROFL! Nobody does those quite like you and Snoop, Tiger :o)

I AM doing Abingdon in fancy dress - you'll see!

Sitting around resting doesn't come easily to me either, and I've only just stopped myself from booking ski-ing lessons during the taper and the couple of weeks after the marathon when I'll be on very low mileage.

My brain is trying to carbo-load at the moment too, which is slightly worrying.
  • Hi Tiger, Hi Quinn - My PB is also 4:06:21 (FLM 2005) but I am 49 now so I feel time is running out for me. Fingers crossed, next April.
  • HRR
    One of my training partners must have been around your age when he started improving. In a mater of a year he broke every one of is PB's including running 3:36 for a marathon.

Had a good run last night ran to the club and then did 10M (1:21). Felt nice and relaxed at the start and started to feel it after about 8M.
  • Hi all :)

I had a good 6 x 1000m session at the club last night, so feel a little less taper madness today thank goodness! Easy 3 later today, 7 tomorrow over hills then no more than 10 at the weekend will do me for this week.

I'm intrigued to know what you'll be wearing on the day V-rap! Abingdon will be one of my less elaborate marathons costume-wise - I shall be in my club top & shorts.

My marathon PB is 4:01 so just a couple of minutes off will be enough to make me happy!

• Well done, Tiger :o)

Reports of my descent into taper madness were slightly premature. A 200g dose of chocolate last night provided an instant cure and the munchies have completely gone today. I obviously underestimated the amount of extra fuel I needed after Sunday's race.

I'll be in modified Hallowe'en fancy dress for Abingdon. You'll see :o)
  • LOL! I shall look forward to seeing that! I still have some red devil horns I was given at a Hallowe'en London social back in the days when it was held at the SJT ;-) Perhaps I should bring them along if you need something to put on your head!
  • It'll be 8 miles for me today at around 8.45mm pace, then a very easy 10 miles on Friday and a handful of little gentle runs between then and next Thursday just to stop me from going completely crazy. And one indoor climbing session.

Then there's the garden to be put to sleep for the winter, a couple of rooms to be decorated, some bookshelves to be assembled, hundreds of children to round up and feed, and I'm sure I could put a little more effort in at work ...

• Well everyone seems to have done excellently well since I last posted.
    V-rap well done on your Windsor Half and 10K you are absolutely storming. A sub 3:45 definately looks possible.

Well I did a 10K at the end of September and I have still yet to get the elusive sub 50! 50:39 at this one, although I have been told that it was a particularly hard course and not a PB one. The good news is that I did get my PB in the Henley half last weekend in a time of 1:54:29...a whole 5 mins faster than Reading, so I feel like my training is paying off.

Hope everyone is having a good day,

HH
  • 5 miles this morning. My fastest time since my disasterous marathon in Rotterdam in April. Recovering from an injury and seems to be going quite well so far. I'm within 90s of my PB so I feel my speed is almost back to normal. 24.25 miles this week so slowly getting there on the distance front as well. No running for two days now then a planned 11.25 miles on Sunday.
  • HRR, Well done on the recovery, and good to see you setting goals and clocking up the miles.

Once I've ran a certain distance, or a longer route, I know that its achievable, and never allow negative thoughts on that run to convince me to stop. I guess we are all setting new individual benchmarks all the time, and so for you, feel super confident about the first 9.25 miles, coz you've cracked that, then its just a wee 2 mile run home after that.
    It worked for me last week when I was well chuffed to do 11 miles, then on Monday I ran the same route with extra confidence, and didn't bat an eyelid at adding a couple of miles for 13.2. The motivation for me was to be able to say I can now run a half marathon on my own. You are now at the stage I was at last Wednesday. Just don't overdo it if your injury is still an issue.

You are doing more miles than me for sure. I run Mon Wed Fri, and this week will be the first week I'll have done more than 20 miles, as I've done a 13.2 and a 6.4 with hopefully another 11 or 13.2 on Friday.

Anyway, stay positive on Sunday and keep thinking of how chuffed you'll be when you finish. I wouldn't worry so much about the time. If you have energy after 9.25, then pick it up and finish strong like the gazelle you secretly are !!
  • Lots of good training going on. HH, HRR, well done on some splendid progress :o) And wise words as usual from LS. Distances that sound enormous at the start of training have a miraculous habit of shrinking once you've trained up to them and conquered them from below.

I set out yesterday to do 8 miles at 8.45 pace, and am very pleased at having managed to do almost exactly that pace, with nice even mile splits, despite slightly tight hamstrings. My brain had obviously programmed itself to do 8 miles, because the ninth mile felt like hard work.

If I can do that and then do it twice more at Abingdon ... in your dreams, dinosaur!
  • You all sound very enthusiastic, that's great :)

BTW meant to say congrats on your Kenilworth time, V-rap! Would you recommend it, perhaps I should try it next year, would make a change from doing local races all the time.

I've sent off my FLM application, just have to wait and see now ...
  • Thanks, Tiger! I'd recommend Kenilworth without hesitation. It's most definitely a PB course if you like gentle undulations. And it's a nice friendly well-organised easy-to-get-to race, and I'll slap a reserved sticker on a Cavern bed ...

It's possibly my favourite half-marathon apart from Keswick, which is gorgeous but is only a PB course for the spindly-legged fell-runners from the local clubs.

Are you going to do FLM in your usual flamboyant fashion next year?
  • Hello everyone,

some stunning runs since I last posted!

Funkin, good luck this weekend, you will breeze it.

V.Rap - I didn't get your message about going for a run till I got back this morning. Thanks for he offer though. Instead of running I did quite a bit skulking around Broad Street!

Marathon this weekend! Can't believe it! I am so un prepared. Never mind, get this out of the way and then start thinking about London during November.

Got to get back to work now, cath up with you all later ;)