Dartmoor Discovery

paskhapaskha ✭✭✭
This is a tough hilly, but beautiful course. Started in 1998 at 34.1 miles, Sat 7th June 2003 will be the 5th running (now 32.3 miles). If you've done a marathon recently you can definitely do it! There's something pretty special about going over the marathon distance for the first time and the Discovery has a all the "Ultra atmosphere" you could wish for - inc Jail Ale, disco etc. You get pampered! I ran my first 5 wks after my first marathon in 99 ...
www.twobridgesraces.org
It's YOU against the distance, so you get loads of support from marshalls, helpers, locals - and other runners!
Anyone out there doing it?

Comments

• paskhapaskha ✭✭✭
    correction - website www.twobridgesrace.org
  • Not this year - may treat myself next year when I'm 50!
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    I marshalled at this race for 2 years before finally plucking up the courage to go that extra few miles over marathon distance. Have just entered for the 3rd time, wouldn't miss this race for anything. Fantastic views, good road surface, brilliant race organisation, it's definitely the best race of the year. I think a lot of people are scared to go over marathon distance.

Anybody out there still thinking about entering?
  • paskhapaskha ✭✭✭
    Hi Shades - Brilliant - so you've been at every one! I keep trying to tell 'em!!
    I'm there 100% - every time (missed the very first one though in 1998 - I hadn't even run a Half-M back then)

Like I said in my report at www.haylerunners.co.uk - once you've done it - YOU HAVE TO GO BACK!
    Last yr I didn't have enough time to train after injury, but did it anyway ... just!

There is only one other event now that comes close to the Discovery for atmosphere and that was Tresco M - did it for the first time this yr (13 April). Similar numbers - around 100 - everyone treated as Special. But for Tresco there is raising the £250 for Cystic Fibrosis & the cost of accom & travel (minimum - over £200 for 2!)

Whereas for the Discovery - the Bunkhouse accom is around £5 a night!!

Come on you guys (both genders incl here)!!!
    Do this wonderful race - you will be SO GLAD you did!
    Just start a bit slower than a marathon - it is only 10k more ...
  • I have entered it for the 1st time! got my details back today. Looking foward to it! sort of.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Brilliant news Muzza, have you done an ultra before?

The weather can be unpredictable on Dartmoor so make sure you pack suitable gear for all weathers, then wait for the weather forecast on the day.

You can arrange for any special drinks and food to be placed at any/all of the drink stations.

There's also a disco in the evening, will help knock any stiffness out of those legs after the race!!
  • Never ran a ultra before, only ran the marathon distance. I have read in my details about your own special drinks at any station! what a brilliant idea!

Unfortunatly wont be able to stay for the afterparty, my mate has to work at 6pm, yes he is running it as well and I am going on my hols to greece early on sunday morning, so we will have to come right back. When I can walk a bit anyway!
  • I really ought to do it sometime-did the 2 Bridges last year.
    Good luck then to those who are going.
  • Well done Liz..you are an inspiration!

We met..well I gave you a drink (?) when I was marshalling on the Bodmin stretch and at the end of the Canter in March.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    To: Muzza
    Your first ultra, great. Just remember not to go off at marathon pace and think you'll just hang on for the last few miles. Just start like a Sunday training run, nice and easy, the first half is mostly downhill, except for one steep climb at 6ish miles.

To: Timothy
    Much nicer route than 2 Bridges, better air quality and less traffic, not too late to enter?
  • DustinDustin ✭✭✭
    Thinking about it.
    Ran the Neolithic marathon 3 weeks ago and am doing the Trailwalker (100kms) at end of July so this would be good training.
    If I can't find a marathon nearer to home (N.Hants) around that time you may well see me there.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Dustin

Closing date for entries is 4th June, no entries on day, get that entry in, form available on Two Bridges webstite. Would definitely be a good training run for your 100k, and there are some good steady hills on the course.

What's the 100k Trailwalker like, have only tried one 100k before but had to pull out at 50 miles, but would like to have another go next year.
  • trailwalker is a walk
    i hope
    im doing it this year
    theres a thread on it
  • paskhapaskha ✭✭✭
    kewick1uk - what's in the name? Bodmin stretch - end of Camel Canter in March? tell me more - are you thinking of doing the Discovery? did you recognise me from the squashed pic (my son squeezed it to the required size)

Muzza - I'm really glad you've entered, shame you wont make the apres race shin-dig (hey what sort of expression is that - does it show my age!?)

Timothy R - This yrs Two Bridges links to next June's (2004) Discovery for Twinning awards, long way to go from the far South West, esp if it's not a special course ...

Dustin! GO FOR IT!! You wont regret it - Are you in photos at richk.co.uk? must go back there - my photos of Neolithic should arrive next wk

Shades!! I'm sure you will blast passed me once you allow yourself more than a wk (or less!) between marathons. (PS Did 2.03 at Plymouth - chuffed!)
  • paskhapaskha ✭✭✭
    Sorry Keswick1uk - missed the S - Keswick as in the Lakes I presume
  • paskhapaskha ✭✭✭
    The "better" bunkhouse at the Plume of Feathers has a big kitchen, bring your own munchies!! I find it more relaxing than a B&B, although not quite as comfortable ... that's assuming no Guest House uses nylon sheets anymore???!
  • HI ALL.CAN````T WAIT TO DO THIS BEASTY.GOT MY NUMBER BACK IN FEB SO THAT I WOULDN`T BOTTLE IT.NOW THAT IT`S NEARLY HERE I CAN`T WAIT.HOPE U ALL HAVE A GOOD TIME SEE U THERE .SPECTATORS PLEASE CHEER ON TIRED LOOKING `ERME VALLEY HARRIER`!!!!ENJOY
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Liz
    Brilliant result at Plymouth, you're definitely on for a PB at the Discovery. Have you got your WRN vest yet?

Richie Rich
    Your first ultra? Any others from your club running too? You obviously haven't done the Discovery before, most of the spectators have 4 legs, mostly ponies and sheep, with the odd cow here and there!!
  • Although I won't be running it, I'll see if I can get along to give you all a well deserved cheer somewhere near Widecombe - well, anywhere outside a pub!
  • 40 minutes40 minutes ✭✭✭
    Dunnarunner - Good idea, I too may come along to cheer, watch in admiration, etc. Any good ideas for a viewing location & estimated time of arrival of runners?
  • Dunnarunner & 95 minutes,

If you find that pub, i`ll have a pint of stella and a Brandy chaser! I will probably need something to take away the pain.
  • I'll find out tonight from some seasoned Discovery addicts where the best vantage points are.
  • paskhapaskha ✭✭✭
    I did my first pub run (I lost count but I think we did 6 or 7 pubs) with the Epsom Allsorts/Oddballs a couple of summers ago - and really enjoyed the run on the ale (or the ale on the run) Bob Brown the Deca Ironman always seems to be drinking (recently ran across Australia ...)

Shades - got a GIANT T/s from WRN - will have to phone for a vest??

I've got this thing about a Beam Engine - dont laugh - trying to dream up a nickname - thought I could be BeamE - I mean have you actually seen one? They are amazing things - visited Kew Museum on a Sat and saw 'em working ...
  • paskhapaskha ✭✭✭
    Dunnarunner - Do it NOW! don't wait - it's the only way I've done the things I've done - who knows if we'll be running next yr?? I know two runners around my age who stopped cos of back problems ...
    Having "struggled" round the last 10k of DMV you will have recovered & have more strength for the DD!!
    But it'll be great to have your support if you don't run it
  • Liz - I've already entered a race at Crewkerne on the day following the Discovery, and there's no way I can (or will) do both!

If I'm not mistaken, aren't the engines at Kew Cornish beam engines, and as you're of Cornish origin, there might be a link there to a suitable name. Or just plain Beamish perhaps - it links to beer drinking nicely, but I don't know what it's got to do with running!!!
  • Very interested but the wrong side of the world for me. I am planning an Ultra in East Kent for 2004 and any advise you can give me on the organisation etc would be a great help.

The site is www.eastkentultra.org

My initial thoughts are to slot the event in before Dartmoor and Two Bridges, but I have also been recomended to consider August so that us Southerners can use is as a training run ready for London to Brighton.

Good Luck one and all and even though I won't be running I realy am looking forward to all your race reports so please don't forget the after race essentials.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ashley
    Have had a quick look at your website, looks like a cold windy course, so definitely a summer event, I think.

Two Bridges is always August Bank Holiday weekend, so how about 2nd week in July, that will be 4/5 weeks after Discovery, and 5 weeks before Two Bridges. I don't run London to Brighton (can't make the qualifying time, thank goodness)but I think you should aim your race at those that do, and also those who aren't prepared to travel to Devon or Scotland.

Good Luck with your race, I might be there!!
  • Excelant thanks for the help.

I did figure that East Kent Ultra could be a perfect compliment to Dartmoor Discovery and Two Bridges in that the three corners of the UK would then be covered.

• Liz. Its an old nickname. I'm devonian living in East Cornwall now. I recognise your name from the finish of the canter which I was marshalling. I'm not up to this event, but I'll be at Cubert!
  • YES, ITS MY FIRST ULTRA.AT LEAST I`VE ONLY GOT 15 MILES TO GO TO THE START.SO AT LEAST I CAN HAVE A LIE IN (IF I CAN SLEEP,GETTING NERVOUS ALLREADY!) HOPE THE HEAT WAVE PASSES BY NEXT WEEK.SORRY TOURISTS BUT WE`RE ALL PRAYING FOR OVERCAST AND NOT TOOOOO HOT.HOW MUCH HARDER IS THE LAST 6 COMPARED WITH A MARA?UNFORTUNATLY NO OTHERS FROM MY CLUB ARE RUNNING ALTHOUGH SOME WILL BE UP SURPORTING.DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW MANY PEOPLE ARE IN IT?