I have a cunning plan....

anyone know if this will work?

I have a place in France. If I apply for an overseas entry from there, will I get in even though I live UK?

Comments

• I know an American who tried it...wasn't successful...I guess International entries are also subject to a ballot?
  • Expensive, but it might just work !
  • fat buddhafat buddha ✭✭✭
    I understood overseas got in anyway - must check on the FLM website
  • i know someone who used my argentinian friend's name and address in Buenos Aires to get an entry last year
  • Don't you have to have it as part of a package thing ? Swiss Bobby or Ironwolf would know.
  • What is it with runners and the London Marathon? They try and think of every devious method they can to gain entry. Why don't you just enter through the normal channels like everyone else and trust it to luck. Most people probably have a friend who lives abroad and could do the same as you.

I hope if David Bedford sees this and comes across Dick Donovans entry form and it is from France, he throws it in the bin.
  • There are 2 ways of getting an overseas entry:

1. Write to Sports Tours in Manchester and ask for an overseas entry form, you have to send 2 international reply coupons.

The entry will then be put into the overseas ballot. Good Luck

Entry Fee £60

2. From your overseas address find an official tour operator, who buys packages from Sport Tours which include a guaranteed entry, hotel accomodation, and normally your transport from your overseas address, or an airport etc.

Entry Fee is still £60
    The hotel bit is quite expensive but you normally end up in quite a posh place, and we were bussed to the start from the hotel, nice and no stress.

You may be able to negociate that the travel bit is taken off the package.

Hope this is simple to understand.

SB
  • email me for more details

SB
    38DD - don't like cunning plans eh? I'm amazed at the invective in your comment. I have EVERY intention of applying through the UK ballot and ran FLM this year for charity raising over £3K so don't get all high and bloody mighty with me.

As you can see I don't hide my name - you can e-mail me direct of you wish - but I do find people who hide behind the mask of anonymity rather sad and lacking in fibre.

BUT what's wrong with using an opportunity to get an entry if it is available? It may not be possible, but it's worth exploring.

Jeez, some sad people about.
  • cheer up FBIW

I hope I made the ins and outs of it clear

SB
    SB - didn't reply as I was seething - sorry.

ins and outs are now clear so will consider what to do. I was under the impression that you get guaranteed for overeseas but clearly only as part of a package; or enter via the overseas ballot.

as I said at the start it was a thought.

PS - are you doing Lausanne marathon? I was thinking of this and wonder how it compares with London. course looks flat but is it in reality??

• FBIW, you wrote:-

>>I have EVERY intention of applying >>through the UK ballot and ran FLM this >>year for charity raising over £3K

Well good for you. Don't most people do this without wishing to make a big statement about it.

You live in this country - FACT.

You, therefore, are not an overseas entrant - FACT.

You also wrote:-

>>Jeez, some sad people about.

Aren't there just.
  • FBIW

I am indeed doing the Lausanne Marathon, it is a flat course, much smaller field than London. Runs along the lake side to Vevey and back.

If you want personal drinks will be placed at 5km intervals for your, just as they do for Paula etc.

You can also change race up until 1 hr before the start

marathon, half, quarter, available + kids fun run, inline skating half and wheelchair half

drop me an email

SB
    still hiding I see
  • I have an even MORE cunning plan...

Would any of the speedy girls out there like to e-mail me with details of their fee for running a late summer marathon in sub-GFA time in my name? Monique? Hilly? Alice? Laura? C'mon, SOMEBODY must be skint enough...
  • DazDaz ✭✭✭
    what happened? have i missed a fight?

I'm siding with fatbutt here 38DD. Most, if not all, the people I know would seize an opportunity like that.....I know I would!

And if he can raise £3k then good on him!
    I'd much prefer someone like him running the marathon, enjoying himself and providing £3k to charity, than a miserable bugger like you!
    Endurance Coach @ DazCarterFitness.com
    Elite Ironman, Ultra Trail Runner
  • Dr Jill speeding (OK, plodding) to your rescue as requested, Fatbutfit, but .... not sure I can condone your cunning plan if it's cheating. A bit of a Goody Two Shoes as far as stuff like that goes, I'm afraid. Sorry.

Right - you and 38DD must kiss and make up, be nice to eachother and agree to differ.

• Excellent idead V-rap. Let's see if we can start a campaign to fill all the places available in the FLM2004 to stop the need for a ballot to even take place ;)

Still being a pompous buddha I see.
  • And that goes for you, too, Daz!
  • No FBIW, what you said at the start was that you have a plan.
  • DazDaz ✭✭✭
    if you think im kissing fatbutt and a 38dd you've got another thing coming jill !

remember guys that you have to send off proof that you have done a sub3:15 (men, sub 3:45 (women) within one year of applying.

scuppered!
  • I hold up my hands to "pompous", but I am NOT a Buddha.
  • At the end of the day all the boy wants to do is run in the marathon. I say good luck & applaud his bending of the entry rules.

If someone wants to run why should they risk a ballot which could reject them year in year out. Play the system.
  • Wasn't refering to you V-rap.

It's within 2 years Daz, not 1.
  • Dibble, it's not bending the rules, it's dishonestly trying to gain entry the FLM2004.

Why don't we all start running clubs with just ourselves as the sole member. Every affiliated club gets a place.
  • DazDaz ✭✭✭
    well slap my wrist 38dd!
  • DazDaz ✭✭✭
    so why should celebrities get free places then? hardly fair.
    ...so they raise money for charity - so do 80% of the runners (you may want to correct me on that figure 38dd)
  • I haven't thought about this properly, but I am siding with 38 DD! That girl's got fire!! C'mon girl, take them on!!

• Who said celeb's get free places? I think you'll find that most celeb's are running on Golden Bond places. A very small handful (single figures) MAY get free places.

Why thank you Wayfarer.