Santa Dash 5K

Comments

• Where"s me suit I need to practice!!"Hopefuls" BaH Humbug....HoHoHo
  • Can you help us with our campaign? We are currently trying to put pressure on to the powers that be, to get a Marathon Event staged in Liverpool in 2008.

We have an online petition and are asking as many runners as possible to support the cause.

Thanks

Sign the petition now

Also visit our blog at:

Blog
  • Article in the local press tonight for those that don’t get it, here is the link….

Santa Dash article
  • Doh! techincal error!

Here is the web adress anyway

www.icliverpool.icnetwork.co.uk/liverpoolecho/news/echonews/tm_method=full%26objectid=18166384%26siteid=50061-name_page.html
  • http://videos.icnetwork.co.uk/icliverpool/dashroute.jpg just checked the route takes in parliament street, there goes my shot at a quick 5k anyway! been having a few achillies problems so will have to see how it feels towards the end of the week before i decide whether to go quick or not...
  • The slower the better for this one in my book - gives you more time to soak up the atmosphere and enjoy viewing the sea of Santas and the humorous sights around you.

No point in pegging it round and missing out on all the fun (but I would say that because I don't get above slow even when I am trying!!)

My Santa suit arrived this morning, which I was quite pleased with as I only sent my application off right on the closing date.

Only problem is that my mate with whom I was supposed to be doing this has just torn his calf muscle and is on crutches, so that's him well and truly out of action - unless of course he doesn't mind us adopting the idea given by Toffee earlier, of us doing an Andy and Lou from Little Britain and I'll push him round in a wheelchair!!
  • I've just signposted my immobile mate to the suggestion that I made in my previous posting. He's just phoned me back to say that he's up for it, as long as I don't mind pushing him round for 3 miles! So as long as I can get the use of a wheelchair for the morning, it looks as if we're going to be game for a laugh!!

The positive spin off from this, apart from it being a little bit out of the ordinary, is that he can still take part in the event, as he was severely hacked off about the prospect of not being able to do it. Also, his daughter who had been looking forward to it immensely will now be delighted, as she was due to do this with him for the 1st time this year. And it means that there should be a couple more who will compete and complete, which will hopefully help in the count towards any sort of a record attempt.

Where there's a will there's a way and all that! But all of this makes the 1st sentence of my previous posting even more apt..."the slower the better"...I don't think I really have a choice in the matter now! We'll be back markers with the reindeers and sleighs...but quite frankly I'm not bothered one bit... it's just great to be able to get out there and be a part of it!!
  • Boycs - I'm also slow and it took me a year to run faster than Mick n Phil. This might inspire you - Mick n Phil
    Mick managed a mara this summer in 4:06 pushing Phil and usually polishes off a half mara in about 1:50.

See you all Sunday! - I'll be the one in a santa suit :)
  • Any last minute suggestions on the best place to park please?
  • Taking place in the race tomorrow at short notice, got a text to say there was a spare application pack and suit going spare from a friend so am going to participate

Have done no training what so ever so as long as I finish in one piece I will be ok..lol

Hope this years race is as good as last years and bring on the world record
  • AnnieMatilda

For last years race we parked in the car park in Pall Mall if I am correct and it was only a short walk to the race
  • Costco carpark was where i parked last year- was free and only a 2 minute walk to the start
  • Thanks for that info Dave and Moses.

Dave you won't get a chance to go fast anyway so just enjoy the atmosphere. My 8 year old grandson says he wants to enter the mini-dash but it is too late now so I will bring him next year if he still wants to. Am I right in thinking that there are no entries on the day?
  • annie - he should be ok to enter on the day...but get there early - http://icliverpool.icnetwork.co.uk/liverpoolecho/santadash/tm_headline=get-on-your-marks-for-santa-dash%26method=full%26objectid=18192512%26page=1%26siteid=50061-name_page.html
    "We are signing runners up on the day too so last-minute Santa sprinters will help boost the ranks."
  • Nice link length Toffeee rofl ;-)

Pug
  • really enjoyed that today had a laugh, it was a bit windy though! sorry to the person i knocked over on the way back, there was nothing i could do about it...
  • Does anybody know whether we managed to break the World Record? Or are they still counting the numbers?

Weather stayed good for the race and really enjoyed it. Not very comfortable running in the Santa outfit though.
  • We were very lucky with the weather especially when you look at the rain and winds that we have here at the moment. I thoroughly enjoyed myself even if it was the slowest 5k I've ever done. I wonder if we will be on the TV.
  • It will probably take them a while to see if the record has been broken as it took ages after last years event to see if Liverpool got the record

When do Las Vegas try and break the record?
  • re - lee shuttleworth comments in race ratings - I did wear a full santa suit, the top was just dangling behind me in the wind, i tried to put it back on but it kept on coming off.
  • It was possible to run it fast if you started near the band and er if you are fast. I started at the front and worked my way back! I can only assume I still haven't recovered from last weekends half marathon as I was even slighty slower than that.

It was great fun wasn't it?
  • Mr H, I thought I spotted you right behind the band as the the march to the starting line began. :-) Was there a finishing line? I wasn't sure where I was supposed to be finished and where I was supposed to be just collecting my medal. (It was all the same speed so it didn't really matter but its nice to know when the race is over). It certainly was fun and I'll be there again next year.
  • Back in from the match and caught up on the ratings. Must admit didnt have any problems at the end with the medal T shirt or goody bag. Can't complain about the walkers, if the event gets only 1% of them interested in running then its worthwhile.

ST did you come first? if so what did you win?
  • Hi treadmiller, ye I came first but i didnt win anything...As i finished a woman said i had won something but that was the last i heard of it...Didnt expect to win anything though to be honest, i think all the prizes were for best dressed santa and i just wore the suit everyone else had...Ill have to sort myself out with a blue suit if i do it again next year!
  • That was a great race. I managed to convince a non-runner to train and run in it and now she is hooked! What a friendly atmosphere. I thought the medal looked great too. I heard there are pictures in the Liverpool Daily Post if anyone is interested.
  • ST - well done. you looked well clear the 2 times we saw you. Hope you didn't get too bogged down by runners running out as you were running back. Didn't help that the guy in the lead car was shouting for outgoing runners to keep LEFT when he meant RIGHT. And yes - your suit was dragging behind you in the wind !

If anyone's interested, there are some photos on the web: www.santa-dash.com and www.santadash.co.uk and follow links. There may be some 'official' ones at a later date
  • AnnieMatilda, Dave, Moses etc Here's a funny thing: some colleagues arranged to meet up at CostCo. One was coming from outside the area, so used his GPS to direct him, and put in postcode for CostCo. Unfortunately, CostCo is right above Wallasey tunnel, so it sent him down there !
    Told him he'd arrived at his destination when he was about 1 mile in. Had to pay £1.30 each way AND didn't get to meet up with anyone.
    Next time he'll use Toys'R'Us postcode
  • Cheers rwandaman, ye there was a group of about 4 runners that sprinted until the dock road and i just ran behind them thinking they were pretty good...but then they just stopped!!! so i was out on my own for the rest of the race, not to bothered about getting bogged down it was the same for everyone...i think i overtook the lead car about 3 times!lol, as he kept on having to stop...thanks for the link and for backing me up theres a photo of me on the .co.uk one with my suit behind me!
  • Well I had a fantastic time on Sunday and enjoyed myself tremendously, as did my wheelchair bound training bud!! It was certainly a very different experience to anything I've ever done before in a race and it did give me a great excuse to stop for a rest when I wanted to! That said, it wasn't all that difficult to manouvre the chair around the route, even if we did have one or two near misses at times!!

Mr H - Thanks for the link about Mick and Phil. You're absolutely right about them being an inspiration - they really are something special aren't they? And they record faster times than I usually do when I'm running properly!! And to think that I'd considered I was doing well getting around 3 miles on a one-off occasion, when those guys do as many races as they have - they're incredible!!

Seemed to me as if there were stacks more there this year. Last year was good enough but I think this year, the good people of Merseyside, as well as the many welcome visitors have surpassed themselves and hopefully, we will have exceeded our own world record total from 2005!

What an array of costumes and vehicles there were on display on Sunday too - some great imagination was shown, and for me it was things like this that just add to the enjoyment of a very special event that brings people together, provides much happiness and does a great deal of good. What more can you say?