Blisters - skin off and gooey

After bouncing around at my xmas do on Wednesday I have now been left with a hole on the side of my heel where my skin used to be! Its all red and gooey and throbby, lovely.

What's best - fresh air or plasters. I'd normnally stick a compeed on it.. but I suspect doing that on a raw wound is probably not wise. I have a distant, rather painful, memory of doing this and the plaster fell off, but still stuck to the raw yuck underneath..

Its long run time in a few hours and I've got itchy feet.. but haven't a clue what's best to put on this - if anything!

Help - I can't be beaten by a blister? Can I?

Comments

• If I ever get anything like this I try to avoid a plaster, unless it's painful to walk on. It needs to dry out, so the more contact with air the better.

Mind you I've no medical expertise whatsoever, but I'm sure someone better qualified will be along soon.
  • Nick LNick L ✭✭✭
    oh dear...sounds sore!

I had an unexpected blister on the ball of my foot recently when the sock balled up. I decided to cut the blister away to allow it to dry out, although i did keep a plaster over it to keep it clean, it was that long dressing strip stuff that you cut to size rather than a pre-shaped plaster that totally covered the wound. It covered it but still allowed it to dry out.

When it was vaguely dry, I then put compeeds on it when I ran. I have seen nasty things happen when you put compeed onto big blisters.....pulling off lots of skin etc...yummy!!

• NessieNessie ✭✭✭
    Fresh air is fine if it's not going to get rubbed again before it has a chance to harden, but I suspect a long run doesn't fit that criteria.

I've never had a problem with compeeds coming off as long as I left it for a few hours before running or showering.

I'd go with the compeed - put it on now and give it a few hours to weld itself to your skin, then wear thick socks to prevent your shoes rubbing it off. Also, don't soak in the bath later - a quick shower, and keep the plaster out of water as much as possible.

• NessieNessie ✭✭✭
    I did once put a compeed on a huge blister on my insole. I popped and drained it before putting the compeed on, but it refilled inside the plaster over the next 24 hours. It was like having an egg stuck to the bottom of my foot.

I had to soak my foot for nearly an hour, gently prising the compeed off with a spoon, before it eventually came off, and I could re-drain the blister, which was now filled with a gungy thick fluid, rather than the traditional water.

I hope I haven't spoiled anyone's lunch......
  • Nick LNick L ✭✭✭
    mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

im hungry now!!!!!!!!!

I went on a walk of the Bob Graham ROund in the lakes with my friend a couple of years back....74 miles over 5 days (the challenge is to do it in under 24hours!)

Anyhoo - his boots rubbed him when we got soaked on day 3, started getting blisters...put compeeds on....at the end of that day, he went to take them off, and pretty much removed all the skin from both of his heels.....they were red raw, all weepy and horrible. Still had 2 days of walking and about 25 miles to cover. He had to buy some sandals when we got to Keswick and wore them to work for the following 3 weeks or so.
  • NessieNessie ✭✭✭
    You're not supposed to remove compeeds though - you wait for them to fall off, taking the dead skin with them.
  • EWWWW! Its alright at the moment out in the fresh air - one advantage of working from home - shoes are not a required to potter around.

I might wait until Sunday for my run *boo hiss* and see how its going from there. Hopefully it will have dried up enough then to do something with it.

:(
  • Mrs Nessie - the problem I've found with compeeds is that they fall off the "good skin" and remain stuck to the painful sore bit! Leaving a choice between cutting around it .. or pulling the rest off! YEOWCH!
  • Nick LNick L ✭✭✭
    A right...well i do remember that these were partially off as they were put on wet feet, and the blisters were already bigger than the compeeds.

Either way twasnt nice!

AS for toomuchtoodo....hope you manage to patch yourself up.

There always seems to be a bit of debate about whether to pop blisters or not....i am in favour of popping personally!