Running on roads

I’ve discovered (I think) why I find it more difficult to run on the roads compared to a treadmill. On the treadmill you don’t move, obviously, so have no perspective on how fast you’re going. Last night 5K took me 39 minutes to run (I'm a complete beginner), therefore I run a pace of 7.8 minutes per KM. On the roads I don’t have a pacesetter so run at a pace I’m not embarrassed with – I’ve worked out that I ran at a pace of 4.6 minutes per KM. So I think my problem is that I run much faster on the roads and therefore get tired more quickly. Do you have any tips on setting my pace better?

Thanks, Lisa

Comments

• Lisa

Unfortunately getting your pace right only comes with time and experience. You may have to learn the hard way in races (like I did!). It took me about 7 or 8 marathons before I even began to get it right!!

Keep at it

ATB
  • stick some lead in your pockets when running outside !

• I used to run before i got injured and have now started again. (hmmm).
    previously i would run at stupid paces to set of. I had no dicipline and wanted to get bck quickly!
    Although my pace for a run was decent i would be breathing out my rear end on all training runs, i would get v.fit but injured and demotivated after 3-4 mths.
    Now changed to running for enjoyment (runnings sake)and have seen huge improvements and i feel much better, try either a 1:25000 ordanance survey map or using a heart rate monitor. Others may disagree with the monitor but if you use the info on this site to find the correct training levels it will slow you down a bit. I dont know if thats a help or hinderence.
    regards steve.
  • Weathers good tonight....still think I'll stick to the trusty treadmill....easy is best! Stay calm!
  • On the road, you really do need at least 10mins of very slow warm-up pace, otherwise you get tired out quickly, as you describe. Each run becomes a "pace" session, so it is hard to build up endurance.

When you start off, go at a shuffle, a snail's pace, so slowly that briskly-walking 80yr-olds would pass you, so it feels like running in slow motion, with only slightly more effort than sitting in a comfy chair at home...find a mental chant that works for you -

I use "slow and easy, slow and easy..."

- after this compulsory 10min shuffle, you can pick up the pace a bit -

For this phase, I use "nice and steady, nice and steady..." to set the rhythm.

- but Slaphead is right, pacing aint easy.

• Lisa, good advice so far.
    Maybe you can try to use the treadmill to learn how different paces feel. Go at 8 min/km and feel your body. How large are the steps you are taking? How is your breathing? Are your arms moving? Now go a bit faster. How does that feel?
    Then when you're outside don't look or think too far ahead, just listen to your body and try to reproduce the feeling of that slow pace.
  • Agree with the roos. can also recommend combining this with a heart rate monitor - helps reduce the likelihood of getting carried away on either
  • Thank you all sooo much...the advice is great! I went on the treadmill on Saturday and tested out various speeds. Then went out yesterday and tried the "slow and easy" and "nice and steady" approach. It's not perfect but it was much better. As people have said - it'll come with practice.

Thanks again

#:o)