Running Clubs

I'm very new to running - my first race at the age of 40, being "Race for Life" in May this year which I ran in memory of my husband. I was so proud of my achievement and felt so good after the training, I have continued running with a friend three times a week.

With the evenings getting darker we are two very lonely soles running around a local lake (which can be quite eery!) and we have been tempted to contact our local running club BUT feel that we are not quite up to the mark.

Do we have any beginners out there who belong to a club, and if so have you benefitted from belonging? Any info or encouragement will be appreciated!

Comments

• Our Club takes in new people at any time of year, of any ability. As the coach for the beginners (mostly women) i usually take them out at the back of the group and let newcomers run at their own pace - if they drop back, i drop back behind them. If they go ahead, i keep an eye on them to make sure that they aren't alone. one of the other ladies will keep with them.
    Our basic rule is: No one is ever left alone at the back. We usually find we have newcomers who have done the race for life and want to continue. Most clubs have some sort of beginners group. They may start at certain times, or they may be incorporated into other groups.
    Have a look on www.runtrackdir.co.uk for your local club and give them a ring.
    If you post your area on here, i'm sure someone will be able to offer you advice on local clubs.
  • Thanks for your words of wisdom (again!).

Can anyone give me any info on running clubs in Grimsby/Cleethorpes. I've tried searching on the web, but the sites I've come up with don't indicate what level they are. I can run for 5 miles at 10 mins per miles.
  • Thanks Dangly! I know my local club is the Swansea Harriers but as yet have not been brave enough to contact them - perhaps I now will! I'll let you know!

Just out of curiosity - do clubs tend to train on tracks or out on the road?

and to Helen - If I could run for 5 miles at 10 mins per mile, I wouldn't hesitate in joining a club - Well Done you!!!!
  • Dodgy

I think there are a couple of Swansea/Mumbles based people on the forum. If you try posting something like an "Any runners based in Swansea" thread in either (or both) the General & URWFRC forums you might find someone is already a member there and could introduce you.

Good luck
  • Hello Helen

There is a club called Grimsby Harriers or there use to be when i was running 2 years ago.

Nicola
  • Dodgy,

I'm not from Swansea but plenty of the forumites will be running at Margam Park on 1st December. (See Reindeer Run thread on Events forum). If you come along you'll have the chance to meet other runners who are local to you.
  • Dodgy - it depends on what facilities some clubs have. We are really lucky in having a track, a club room and the town/industrial area and country roads all within reach.
    We have a group that trains on the track (mostly the fast short distance sprints group) and the road runners who go out on the roads and lanes. Our beginner ladies do a 3 mile loop in about 30-40 minutes, the marathon squad goes for an 8 miler on club nights in about an hour - then there are several groups between them.
  • Thanx for everyone for your help and advice!