On The Wagon For January

Comments

• Just poured two cans of Beck's down the sink this morning.

Not sure about being dry for all of January, but I'm definitely cutting down radically this month.

Fed up with feeling and looking like sh1te.
  • Well done B - im back now from my time away with friends and im raring to go. No more alcohol for me....i didn't even get drunk last night (big pat on the back for me!)

What other resolutions have you all made???
  • Other resolutions KF?!

Isn't abstinence from alcohol for the WHOLE of January enough?
  • no...we need something more challenging than that don't we?
    Im planning to run a half marathon by March 1st, swim 5k on March 24th for charity, lose another stone in weight by August 1st and do an aqua thon at the end of the year. Oh and have more sex.......
  • I've just ran a marathon three weeks ago, I swim alot as it is and I don't have a spare stone to loose.. guess it looks like I'll have to join you on the last one then :-)
  • I'll climb aboard that wagon

Aviator
    BuckarooBanzai
    Calf
    Cath.
    Chieftan Tank
    GMI
    Corinthian
    Gowster
    Ironwolf
    IWDI
    (Jumping Jack) Flash
    Just-Jamie
    Kathy Ramsay (oops....i mean Findlay)
    Kencing Terus
    KKD
    LittleGopher
    Maddy.
    Ms. Mouse
    Ready Brek
    Scottishharimau
    Sue
    Sweetest Thing

Hope those who 'fall off' will honest enough to admit it.

(Checks his stash of booze 4 bottles of single malt, 19 bottles of red wine, 22 cans of assorted lager, 10 bottles of Guinness and some grappa brandy...)
  • Well if you can't beat them join them, will be starting Wednesday as have to wet babs head with Sis Tuesday night. Have banished booze to the shed, out of sight etc and Mrs Huge can't drink either cos of boob feeding so its only fair really.It only remains to say, Good Luck to all!

Aviator
    BuckarooBanzai
    Calf
    Cath.
    Chieftan Tank
    GMI
    Corinthian
    Gowster
    Huge
    Ironwolf
    IWDI
    (Jumping Jack) Flash
    Just-Jamie
    Kencing Terus
    KKD
    LittleGopher
    Maddy.
    Ms. Mouse
    Ready Brek
    Scottishharimau
    Sue
    Sweetest Thing
  • Day one nearly over and done with, i thought today would be easy, but i had an offer of a pub lunch (i know you dont have to drink) and then a friend has just rung to see if i would like a couple of pints. It took him nearly 20 mins to stop laughing and still thinks am winding him up. That probably means that i was drinking way too much before and could do with the break.
  • Out for long walk today and we stopped off at the pub for a drink - Mr ST had beer, I had coffee.

Lovely to waken up on New Year's Day with a clear head, after only having 2 glasses of sine last night.

Hope everyone else is finding it okay.

• X-KKDX-KKD ✭✭✭
    2 glasses of sine, ST?? Great typo! :-)

I'm just back from a BIG dinner at my parents house. A starting drink was offered, bubbly was popped, wines with th meal, port, cointrea(sp) etc with coffee and I was a god girl! I do confess to the tiniest sip of champers to toast everyones good health in 2007 - well it would have been rude not too. For the rest of the day it was fizzy water. I feel so ....... hydrated! :-/

Anyone fall off the wagon on day one?
  • It would have been worse if I'd left the "e" off as well, KKD!!

"two glasses of sin"

;-p
  • X-KKDX-KKD ✭✭✭
    Now 2 glasses of sin sounds like fun!
  • Call in at the Runner's Arms some evening and I'll make sure it's on the menu, KKD.

tee hee
  • I will, but only for the weekdays.

There's far too much rugby on at the moment to abstain on the weekends.
  • 1.5 days in now!

I can do it!!!!!
  • Day 1 - booze free, never even felt like one even though I'm back to work today.

• Didn't miss the booze yesterday mostly due to the hangover from New Year.

Was good and tipped 1/2 botle of remaining Baileys down the sink. Yuk.

The only problem now is what to do with the wine club order (12 bottles) that is due to arrive this week? I guess we just stick it in the cupboard under the stairs for a few months...

Feeling positive though - MrLG is giving up too, so that helps.

HNY all!
  • Although I've not been drunk at any time, I've certainly drunk a lot of wine and champers over the past two weeks, so much so that I don't even fancy it at all. And tonight tri club swim training starts up again, so it's deffo a day for making sure I'm not dehydrated.
  • Am wondering if I'm allowed to join this thread. Am usually a DAILY drinker of at least a bottle of red and have regular out pubbing clubbing nights each week. HOWEVER, due to the proximity of Paris marathon and the fact that I'm sick of having hangovers, I'm going to now only drink twice a week, and never more than 1 bottle of wine in any one sitting. This is a HUGE change of lifestyle for me. Would love the moral support of this thread but understand if my 'allowed drinking' will exclude me!?!

What say you? Does it have to be whole-hearted 'full on wagoners' on here only? :-)
  • oh Mr JARS and I will join in if that's OK.

• Isn`t it weird I was just thinking the same, about stopping drinking for January. I don`t drink much normally, a couple of glasses of wine at the weekend, but over the holidays we seemed to be out so much, had so much to drink and too many hangovers so time for a radical change me thinks.

The only forseeable problem might be my friends birthday at the end of the month. Perhaps I will drive, as that is an accepted excuse for not drinking rather than just saying I don`t want to !

running caz good luck with cutting down, I think you should add your name to the list.

Aviator
    BuckarooBanzai
    Calf
    Cath.
    Chieftan Tank
    GMI
    Corinthian
    Gowster
    Hoover
    Huge
    Ironwolf
    IWDI
    Jars and Mr Jars
    (Jumping Jack) Flash
    Just-Jamie
    Kencing Terus
    KKD
    LittleGopher
    Maddy.
    Ms. Mouse
    Ready Brek
    Scottishharimau
    Sue
    Sweetest Thing

• Caz join in you are making a committment to be better and I am sure the support will be here
  • running caz, not only are you welcome but you positively MUST undertake to reduce your drinking. A minimum of a bottle of wine per day is way over the limit for not doing damage to your body. You're already doing something good for yourself by training for the marathon, so please try and cut down your excess. Believe me, living as I do in the middle of a large wine-producing region, I know how easy it is for your intake to creep up until you are tolerating a very high amount without showing any outside effects. But there are internal ones. Please stop hurtung yourself.
  • running caz I have a simaler outlook to you.

there is no way I can cut out alcohol completely - for a starter it would infringe to much on my social life - but I desperately want to cut down (I daily drink an average of about 5 pints of lager, then often descend into binge drinking on a Sat night)

Like you im sick of the hangovers and im sick of the damage its doing to my health ,Im also convinced I could be a decent runner if I didnt drink so much. I just want to be able to only drink two or maybe three nights a week.

Tonight will be my first night without alcohol for about two months. Im not looking forward to it.

• MedalsMedals ✭✭✭
    Jason X.
    I've been drinking daily (bottle of red, 2-3pints cider etc) for as long as I can remember and it can't be doing me any good. So tonight I'm planning not to have a drink.
    I'm not looking forward to it either, but just to let you know you're not alone.
  • I too drink everyday, up to a bottle and a half of fizz a night. Been doing this since my uni days (which ended 9 years ago). With both my pregnancies i didn't touch a drop for the full 9 months,which shows me that if you concentrate on the health issue and not just the 'getting rid' of hangovers, then you CAN give up alcohol altogether. I smoked for 9 years then gave up on a new years resolution, i've not smoked now for 6 years.
    Believe in yourself and you WILL do it. You can break a habit of a lifetime.

I fear that my alcohol consumption may now be replaced with an increased chocolate consumption so next year this equivalent thread will be titled "Join me on the chocolate Wagon".....
  • Thanks all for welcoming me, shall add my name to the list.

JasonX & Medals - sounds like we're in the same boat. Last night was my first alcohol free night in I don't know how long and am intending to keep it that way until Fri!?! As you say Jasonx I know there is NO WAY i can or more to the point am prepared to give it up completly but if I can cut it down to 2 nights a week and maybe an odd glass here and there I'll be very pleased.

Aviator
    BuckarooBanzai
    Calf
    Cath.
    Chieftan Tank
    GMI
    Corinthian
    Gowster
    Hoover
    Huge
    Ironwolf
    IWDI
    Jars and Mr Jars
    (Jumping Jack) Flash
    Just-Jamie
    Kencing Terus
    KKD
    LittleGopher
    Maddy.
    Ms. Mouse
    Ready Brek
    Running Caz
    Scottishharimau
    Sue
    Sweetest Thing

Ironwolf - I know :-/

Good luck all ... have a feeling the thread will become busy from 7:00 onwards each evening when we reach breaking point ;-)
  • Just noticed I got dropped off the end of the list...maybe someone is trying to tell me something!...I'mm of the drink until Wokingham Half.

Aviator
    BuckarooBanzai
    Calf
    Cath.
    Chieftan Tank
    GMI
    Corinthian
    Gowster
    Hoover
    Huge
    Ironwolf
    IWDI
    Jars and Mr Jars
    (Jumping Jack) Flash
    Just-Jamie
    Kencing Terus
    KKD
    LittleGopher
    Maddy.
    Ms. Mouse
    Ready Brek
    Running Caz
    Scottishharimau
    Sue
    Sweetest Thing
    TW

• KF2 - cross posted. Well done on the cig's. Not really a chocolate person so not sure what will replace alcohol (hopefully running ;-)). Know what you mean about giving up if you 'have to'. Same here, both pregnancies, but that was cos I was responsible for some elses health.