Heart Rate Monitors

I am thinking of getting a HRM, so I can make sure I am getting true exercise to loose the spare tyre.
However What I dont want is something very complicated to use, just something
that will do the job & easy to use.

Any suggestions ?

Dave

Comments

• Not a suggestion on a model, but on usage - make sure you know why you're using it and what you're aiming for.

(Some people swear by 'Heart Rate Training for the Compleat Idiot', which seems to contain a lot of sense.)
  • Go for one of the cheaper Polar/Cardiosport models, but low/high audible alarms are defo advisable (I'd say essential).

The book SVT suggests gets tons of good reports.

• Beanz52Beanz52 ✭✭✭
    Have a look at this thread: Heart rate monitors
    first go at inserting hyperlink so fingers crossed!
  • Beanz52Beanz52 ✭✭✭
    It worked! Its a long discussion, but full of positive comments about HRM
  • Beanz is that TimM's thread because its great, hyper link didnt work look on beginners threads heart rate monitors what are they teeling me, or something like that.Dave if that doesnt convince you about HRM and Parkers book nothing will and you also get SVT and I waxing lyrical about the Welby monitor from Aldi £14.99 well spent.
  • Beanz52Beanz52 ✭✭✭
    yes - it is Tim's thread - the link worked for me!!
  • Beanz
    Worked for me too the second time
  • well thanks everyone, I have ordered the book from amazon & will take it from there.
  • HRMoteen,one thread and we have him.

For those too young it comes from an anti smoking campaign of the seventies.

Dave is already hooked on HRMs and John L Parker.
  • Now got a HRM (Polar A5) new off Ebay £56, cant be bad.

Dave
  • I read the problem page. But the obvious cause of and solution to erratic readings seems to have escaped whoever made the list.
    And there is no way of rectifying the list apart from a post here which noboyd will read. Hrmph.

However:
    Erratic readings are typically caused by
    1) failure to moisten the belt where it touches your skin.
    2) static generated by your running shirt running on the belt - before you start sweating much.

Solution: splash the front of your running shirt before you set off. If nothing else the shock of cold water on warm chest will send you off at a good pace ...
  • Dave
    The most essential requisite for losing the spare tire is a good diet. Make sure you have that in order first.
    I'm using a Garmin GPS monitor which is expensive but great for tracking progress.
    I experimented a lot on the treadmill to work out a sustainable heart-rate over various distances before hitting the road.
    For the first few months I forgot about pace and used my heart rate to control my intensity. It was a great idea.
    I went from struggling over 3 miles to running 12 easily in a few months.
  • I spent £25 in Decathlon on a Géonaught heart rate monitor with the following features:

Time, Alarm, Pulse, Chronograph.

Watch water proof to 5 ATM, belt water resistant but not water proof. Both are user-serviceable and the battery in the belt is easy to change. The belt clasp mechanism is good too. You get it in a zip up case with a bike mount for the watch as well.

The chronograph does the following:

Input age, gender, weight. Set upper and lower zone limits. Watch shows current HR, calculates average HR over time and then works out time in zone and calories.

Beep patterns to indicate if you are above or below zone limits.

All this for £25. The equivalent polar is something like £60+.

I have my routes and when I go somewhere new I user www.map24.com to measure distances with it's cool waypoint features. There is no need to spend a fortune on complex equipment. I have never felt the need to download data, coz I have no use for it after the run. This baby does plenty. It's a lot of bang for buck.

Well done Decathlon for selling good gear for not much. Check out their Quencha reservoir backpack range as well. You'll laugh your head off the next time you see someone with a Camelback that cost twice the price.
  • Can anyone help? I got a Polar RS200sd running computer for Christmas, very pleased with it, but have now lost the Instruction Manual so can't progress. No response whatsoever from Polar UK offices (answer machine only, no calls returned as yet) or from emails to the International Help Website re my request to purchase a replacement. A very expensive piece of kit now lying useless in a drawer!
  • Thanks, Steveo. That's a great help. In the course of your investigations, did you conclude that the exercise uploads are PC-only? The software doesn't seem compatible with my Mac....
    JK
  • I use a PC so afraid I cannot help on that one . Give POLAR a call . Their support desk was really helpful when I had issues with getting the weblink software to work properly; they may have an option for the MAC .
  • MIO have introduced a HRM which is strapless. The wrist is where the "watch" or HRM picks up the reading. This could be a boon or a gimmick. Does anyone have any views or experience.

Many thanks
  • M.ister WM.ister W ✭✭✭
    The only strapless ones I've seen require you to touch sensors on the watch to get a reading. This means that you aren't getting a constant reading, you can't get average and max HR readings for a training session and you can't set it up to warn you when your HR exceeds a specified level. So, not really much use.
  • I've never used a HRM before and want to use it on the treadmill so I don't have to grip the handlebar to get a reading. Can you just get the strap that talks to the machine, or do i need to get a full set with the watch etc?
    Thanks
  • Mine talks to the machine anyway soyou might as well get the lot, I got a polar FS something.
  • Don't bother - they're a waste of time unles you live in a perfectly flat area with no winds (or train in a gym). Can't run slowly enough up hills to stay in zone, can't run fast enough down hills to get into it.
    A mildly interesting gimmick, but I found no more reliable than "perceived effort".
  • Aldi have them for £12.99 from next Thursday (11th) if anyone wants to try a cheapie.
  • I bought a Polar model with the sealed in battery in the chest strap befgore my 14 yr son was born. Strapped it on in the gym last january when the one provided by the gym reeked of hundreds of people's sweat. The thing still worked and talked to the machines, ie treadmill, cross-trainer, ststionary bike and rower perfectly with no added gadgetry. Bravo, Polar.
  • I've just tried to buy the 'Heart Rate Training for the Compleat Idiot' from Amazon and found its only available second hand from £32 upwards! Will look around for other copies. Seems to be the "wonder book" according to many forumites.
    I've had a Polar monitor for a couple of years and given up on running what feels like too slowly almost every time. It's really hard to run in slow motion and once theres the whiff of an incline then it starts shouting at me. The result is that almost all my runs (3 to 15miles) are at about the same speed. Hopefully the book will force me to become more disciplined - if I can find one!
  • I have a Garmin 405 that I bought for £175 from www.clevertraining.com. I love it and can't run without it. It gives me my pace, heart rate, distance, time, and previous days running statistics. I can even compete against my past runs, insuring that I keep progressing. I would definately recommend this watch!
  • Has anyone used the mio alpha watch & Strava app?? Taimage