Baxters Loch Ness Marathon

Hi all, doesn't time fly?

It seems like yesterday we were pounding out the miles in the pouring rain along the side of Loch Ness.

Only seconds after I'd crossed the finish line in 2006 I was asked if I'd do another marathon.

Right away I said "yes" and I'll be back in October, determined to get under 4hrs at the second attempt.

To anyone considering their marathon debut, this isn't the easiest course you'll find but the organisation is great and there's plenty support along the way.

Let's hope the weather this year is just a wee bit drier!

Comments

• RoobarbRoobarb ✭✭✭
    I'll be there again this year!

I've decided to go up to Inverness for a week if I can and do some exploring. In spite of all the rain I had a great time there in October and the three days I was there just wasn't enough.
  • I said after Loch Ness last year I wanted to do two marathons in '07 - a spring one and an autumn one. It was either London or Lochaber (have got a club place for London) for the spring, and either Moray or Loch Ness for the autumn one.
    I have found out Moray again is on the same day as the Great Scottish Run which is a bit of a tradition for me now so looks like it'll be Loch Ness again!
    Need to keep my eyes on the Travelodge website again for their cheap deals!
  • Last year we had to use two guest houses because we couldn't find one which had room for me, my wife, my daughter and my mother-in-law.

I tried yesterday to book two rooms in one of the guest houses we used but it's already full on the Saturday night.

I'd asked Visit Scotland to try to find an alternative but they emailed me today to say I'd struggle to find a guest house which would accept a one-night booking on the weekend of a major event.

I looked up another guest house and rang it this morning and got two rooms no bother.

I can't say I was terribly impressed by Visit Scotland's response.
  • I'm doing this one again and hoping for a sub 5 hour this time. We're staying up at Tarbet Ness Lighthouse for 2 weeks again but for the night before the mara I've managed to book myself in at a hotel on Ness Walk. I did book it a few weeks ago though, and it is costing me £100 for the night. But it was either that or getting up at 5am again to get to Inverness in time; and if I break the 5 hours hubby is going to pay anyways. ;-)
  • I've heard this is a pretty special race and it seems to be seeing as you're all doing it again. Is it particularly hilly?
  • I did this one in 2003 and thoroughly enjoyed it. It's only on the probable list as yet as MR AM may need a little persuading to drive all that way again.

We stayed in a B&B near to the start but I will have to search for its name. We stayed two nights so that I could collapse in comfort after the race. :-)

I would say that only about half of it was hilly - you went up a hill then down a hill then up a hill then down a hill then up a hill .....well you get my drift.
  • RoobarbRoobarb ✭✭✭
    Will keep an eye open for the Travelodge offers again too.

DD - its not too bad really although at mile 17, just when you are knackered, there is a lovely hill about 1.5m long. There is usually a profile of the route on the website but if you can't find it, email me and I'll send it to you. I think I still have it somehwere on my pc.

I can remember last year there was a hill at mile 4 which caught me and a couple of others completely by surprise!!!

But its a brilliant race and so well organised. You get food and soup afterwards too!
  • Yip, the food after was most welcome but I don't think I'd go for the pasta party tickets for the night before again (just a personal choice). I think I'd probably go in to Inverness for some pasta or something (you can get a big bowl of pasta in Wetherspoons for less than the pasta party tickets). I had entered this one by this time last year!!
  • RoobarbRoobarb ✭✭✭
    Don't think I would buy pasta party tickets the day before either. It was ok but I think I would rather go elsewhere this year.
  • Perhaps we could have a forumites get together type pasta party somewhere? (she suggests having not yet put in an entry but feeling more tempted every day)
  • RoobarbRoobarb ✭✭✭
    Not put in my entry yet but will do soon - I think there was a sort of get together the night before the race last year and there was definitely one afterwards at Wetherspoons.

• NessieNessie ✭✭✭
    I'm afraid Visit Scotland couldn't find their own backsides with two hands and a map.

Inverness basically has tourism as its only industry, and there are thousands of beds available in hotels, guest houses and B&Bs. Even if each of the 1500 runners in this event brought their whole families, it is unlikely that anyone couldn't find somewhere to sleep in October. Different maybe in June when we are overrun with American and Japanese Nessie hunters (makes me nervous, I can tell you), but off season.......

The problem with Visit Scotland is that they will only tell you about hotels etc that are registered with them, and very few do, for the very reason Spartacles has highlighted.

[rant mode off]

I'll be doing it again (touches wood to ward off the injury fairies) - I've done all 5 so far, so why break with tradition. I love it.

We have had forumite meals the night before and the night after in the past, although the Italian restaurant we used for the night before the 2005 race has now closed. Happy to advise/arrange/book something nearer the time.
  • RoobarbRoobarb ✭✭✭
    Hi Nessie - how did the wedding go?
  • Don't think I will run the marathon this year but will be there for the 10k and to see the marathon runners in and partake in the pre and post forum get togethers.
  • fellrunner I would love to run Cape Wrath but as I am already running FLM and Stockholm might overdo it if I did this one as well. If I can get anyone to relay with me, then maybe.
  • When's Stockholm, HC?

I think I will definitely do Loch Ness again this year but will wait until I get paid this month!
  • Debstir Stockholm is on 9th June which is a Saturday.

I haven't decided which Marathon to run later in the year yet.
  • RoobarbRoobarb ✭✭✭
    HC - you know you want to do Loch Ness really!
  • It can't be any wetter than last year HC, it'll be so much better in the dry (hopefully!)

• Roobarb I will be there for the 10k and the whole weekend. Going to go for a 10k PB! I wish:)))

Debstir can't be any wetter than last year although I thought it was okay to run in but not when you stopped running.

• we're planning to be there again this year - but sticking with the 10K
  • RoobarbRoobarb ✭✭✭
    HC - I'm sure you will get your pb!

Don't really mind the rain too much - although I much prefer if it starts raining once I have started.
  • count me in, no way can the weathr gt any worse, i love running in the rain normallly but this too the barrel of biscuits and chucked them at you! my trainers were twice as heavy as normal!
    still fabulous race, supberb organisation, incredible scenery, fab company, and even fabber night out after! ;o)
  • RoobarbRoobarb ✭✭✭
    My trainers didn't survive the soaking - I forgot to unpack them when I got home the next day and left them in a plastic bag for a week - smelled like cats pee when I finally opened the bag. Running marathons does nothing for your memory...........
  • I'm doing Berlin this year so no Loch Ness for me :-(

Hope the weather is better than last year and good luck all :-)
  • RoobarbRoobarb ✭✭✭
    Good luck with Berlin Paul!
  • I've just registered to do this marathon, which will be my first full marathon ! I'm really looking forward to it but when I registered I found out it is subject to a ballot, does any one know what the chances of getting a place are?

Good luck to all !!!
  • As far as the last couple of years have gone I think the chances are almost a certainty. Although as I'm a mamber of SAF I got a guaranteed entry last year.

It was my first ever marathon last year - you'll love it!