Readers Races of 2006

Was the top three in the 15+ votes determined based on alphabetic order? All have the same score and 100% would do them again. However, the Sodbury Slog polled by far the largest number of votes, twice as many as the number one slot and 9 times more than number two.

Comments

• I have to declare my interest first of all. My Knacker Cracker Race was voted 6th overall (in the +15 votes category) and my Midsummer Munro race was voted 10th overall. So I am well chuffed. Another of my races, the Ashtead 10k, came about 150th. Fair enough (must try harder next time).

However...neither of the top races was in the Editor's Choice 'top 100.' In fact, when you look down the list of the runner's choices, a lot of them are absent from the Editor's Choice list.

The fact that the London 10k features in the Editor's Choice top 100, and is very very close to the bottom of the pile in the runner's choice would suggest that the editor is dramatically out of touch with the feeling of the people who actually run the races.

Runner's World boasts that over 20,000 ratings are delivered on races through the year. I think that it is high-time to go with the 'Wisdom of crowds.'

I think that it is time to abandon the Editor's Choice 'Top 100,' or at the very least, let the runners have the headlines and the last say on which are the top 100 best races in the UK, and consign the Editor's Choices to a 'my favourite 50 races,' in a small box at the side.

The fact that the FLM has been named by RW as the top race for the last eight years (or whatever) and that the Great North and Great South runs are in the top 10, is an indication that the Editor's Choice is not only reactionary, but just plain wrong. Size isn't everything!
  • Some interesting points.. what should be noted is the runners choice top 10 features "local" races which tend to be organised by running clubs or individuals , whilst the Ed's choice is more geared towards corporate/regional events such as FLM / or GNR.

Which are better ???? we'll that's personal choice but one of Ed's top 3 races has a forum response as "Terrible organisation"

What would be interesting is for RW to have a feature on the runners choice top 10 events with a "Run it" & report specials