For the first time I feel like giving up

I have been injured since December and am starting back into training following a physio supervised programme of 2 miles (dead slow) 3 times a week. The thing is, I've been injured before and had lay-offs etc, but for some reason this time I feel like throwing in the towel. Normally I'd think " This is progress towards getting better and fitter again, it's just temporary" but I am hating every run. I've tried running with the dog, without the dog with and without music and even with a noble running friend who came out to keep me company.
I do realise that the first 2 miles are often tough in any run, but this is terrible!!

Do you have any advice?

I can't believe this time last year I was running 16+ miles for a long run, which is good for me (damn you, training log!!!)
Thanks.

Comments

• just don't try to rush back too soon. I've made that mistake on too many occasions and have been injured pretty much since january 2006!! Take it easy and take the advice of the professionals.
  • WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    and jiggi, dig deep and try to remember why you have loved running so much in the past. It must be tough, don't give up though.
    Take care.
    possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • Maybe it is time to give up running and start................................

running...............

When I've been in a position similar to yours I've just gone back to the gym and started a whole fitness programme from scratch. I've spent an hour at a time doing CV work, eg. Xtrainer, bike and dreadmill 20 minutes on each and some wieght training. Whether it was the fact that it's quicker to rebuild than to build from nothing - or the complete boredom I don't know. But I was back out there in weeks and enjoying the running again!
  • Thanks guys.

I deliberately posted this in 'training' rather than 'health and injury' as a statement os positive intent!!
    I have been swimmimg etc (not gym as I don't belong to one) and it certainly has kept my fitness up to an extent and served to remind me why I run!
  • The first 10 to 20 mins of any run always make me want to give up but after that things settle down and get better.

If you're only doing 2 miles per session at the moment your body isn't getting past that 'I hate this and want to stop' phase but in order to get onto running 3 or 4 miles without injury, you need to perservere for a bit longer.

Stick with it and you'll get there.
  • Jiggi, I lost the last four months of '06 to injury. During those months (and our balmy autumn) I desperately longed to get back out there but as soon as I was able to get back into training I found I was really struggling with motivation (and confidence strangely enough). All I'll say is stick with it, maybe find some races to enter (even if they're a few months away) to give you something to work with. I won't say I'm enjoying my running as much as I was and it's still a struggle sometimes to get up and out, but I'm getting there.

As Cas says, it's made harder for you cos you can only do such short runs. I really struggled for the first mile or so of my run yesterday and never thought I'd get round but soon enough I was back at the gym with 9 miles under my belt.

Just keep in your head that you will get there and don't beat yourself up along the way.
  • I agree with the above. You are getting the bad bit,the first 20 mins and not the good bit, the rest of the run. But stick in there. Personally I find Meat Loaf very load very helpful when I seriuosly can not be bothered. But may be that's to do with my age !!
  • Jiggi, you have got injured at the worst time of year, when the evenings are dark and the days not much better! That doesn't do much for motivation I have to say. What I find helps is trying to run at lunch time, when there is daylight and is safer.
  • Thanks Cas27: absolutely! It occurred to be this morning that I was just getting the carp bit without the payback. I've been feeling that I'll never get beyond it as currently it's 2 miles with walk breaks as well.
    Kazzaaaaah(hope that's enough h's!)I'm seeing the physio next week and I'll check out when I'm likely to be up for a race. I'm hoping to do 8 miles at the Kingston breakfast run in April, so we'll see.
    GDG: I am also of the Meatloaf generation so I'll give it a try: Thanks
    Roz: very true. I ran this morning after dropping the children at school which was better.
    One thing it has taught me is that any distnce takes perseverance and committment. It might "only" be 2 miles but it feels a really long way, and I still have to do the distance, if you see what I mean.
    Jiggi x
  • big hugs to you Jiggi
    not much to add to the excellent advice here

hope you are feeling better soon
  • Thanks PH. How goes it with you?
  • jiggi - can't you go out on a bike? Then a very short run? Might help the endurance bit?
  • Jiggi

best not ask tonight

xx
  • Jiggi, As my nickame says I like a bit of a drink and at the moment I am in the same boat as you.

I have a minor operation just before Xmas, eat and drunk too much over Xmas and now feel crap. I just want to go on the computer every night rather than train, but reading the logs I am out tomorrow and I am aiming for a half marathon in March
  • Mel, am a bit on the dangerous side on a bike, but I will give it a try: just don't want a headinjury as well!!!!
    PH Mate! I am sorry if things are tough. Take it a little at a time? I am trying this at the mo rather than worrying (which is my special skill).
    DP: Brilliant! Just take it easy and don't be too hard on yourself, getting back takes time after all.
    J xx
  • Well, I saw the physio today who is writing to my GP to ask for a referral to have a proper assessment (needles and all!!). In the meantime I can try one run of 4 miles to see if it eases off after the toxic 2 miles, but to stop immediately if the pain persists. So, I guess at least there is light at the end of the tunnel. Meanwhile dog walking/ swimming/ exercise classes.......don't forget me, though!!