Giant SCR 2.0

Thinking of getting my first road bike at the end of the month.

Having had a good look around the local shops I'm impressed with this one, anyone have any thoughts on this particular model?

(not looking at Tri, by the way)

Comments

• AvalafAvalaf ✭✭✭
    For all the main manufactureres at that price there will not be a lot of difference between them component quality wise, I'd go for in this order
    1) whats most comfortable
    2) what one you think looks the best.
  • Haggis
    I am currently riding one of these. I bought it as a compromise racing/commuting bike as it is one of the few that can take mudguards and a rack if necessary.

I haven't been able to fault it. For the price it is a good bike and I reckon it will see me through my first attempts at tri. Only thing I have changed is the saddle.

I would agree with Ava - try it out - most bike shops will let you ride it for half an hour to see if you like it.
  • If it can take full mudguards then it's a winner i reckon. Full mudguards make winter riding soooo much nicer and cleaning the bike and yourself a lot quicker.
  • popsiderpopsider ✭✭✭
    I'm with JD - if it's going to be an only bike then full guard clearance is a bonus.
  • popsiderpopsider ✭✭✭
    Sort of an audax type geometry hasn't it - nothing wrong with it but if you did want to do tri it's probably not ideal - very long head tube and relaxed seat tube angle.
  • Popsider - compared to a Halfords MTB it is a dream!
  • Sort of an audax type geometry hasn't it - nothing wrong with it but if you did want to do tri it's probably not ideal - very long head tube and relaxed seat tube angle.

What does that mean?
  • popsiderpopsider ✭✭✭
    Not conducive to getting a good aero position with tri bars. Higher front end the seat tube angle means the angle of the thighs/torso wouldn't be as open as other bikes - you'd be bent in half more so more difficult to get the power down.

Wouldn't matter to some people - others would find it limiting. Not knocking it - I've just bought a bike with similar geometry - wouldn't be able to get a good time trialling position on it though - horses for courses.
  • AvalafAvalaf ✭✭✭
    Are there many bikes in that price range that you can't stick mudguards on? I know both the treks and giants you can. Not sure about the others.
  • my bianchi via narone won't take full mudguards. had to use those clipy on ones last winter.
  • popsiderpopsider ✭✭✭
    I think sometimes it depends on what tyres you have and what brake calipers you use. I have a frame with mudguard eyes that wont take Conti 4 seasons 23mm and the narrowest SKS guards - crap really considering it was sold as a winter frame. It just about takes mudguards with some tyres though any sort of muck collects under the front guard it rubs.
  • Popsider - thank you. I have one of them and given a choice would sit massively more upright than I do.

Would this explain why I find it comfortable to hold it a couple of inches back from the horns? Mine is a gents small. I'm not convinced I'm not over reaching but the bike shop says it fits well. I wonder if my feelings about it are perceived rather than actual. I don't find it uncomfortable to ride espcially but not really ridden many road miles on it or raced yet.
  • popsiderpopsider ✭✭✭
    Have you tried flipping your stem over so it points upwards rather than downwards ? Apologies if that sounds really obvious - if you haven't it's only a 10 minute job and would raise the bars a fair bit.
  • I haven't touched it. I will try it out properly at the reccee and make a decision about trying that or not. Thank you