Rhayader 'Round the Lakes' 20

Comments

• Doh!! I thought there was a chance you'd make it Juicer :-( Do you fancy coming along for the day anyway? You and little Juicer can join me and my two :-)
  • Anybody travelling upto this one from the Gloucestershire area, and willing to give a lift. If so please contact me through the e-mail: andrew.yates18@tesco.net

Thanks
  • Managed a gruelling 17.5 miler on saturday felt really tough at miles 12-15 but hung on and felt good at the end.
    But it was mostly flat!!!!

Ran a lovely 7 mile recovery run today literally bounced along.
    Hope the weather isn't too grim on the big day.
  • B.JOHN You lucky bloke, I managed 2.5 miles on Saturday. I had no adverse reaction from my injuries, so hope to be there on the day. I'm sure I will be there, in fact; I'll be the one grunting and swearing at the pain. Apologies in adavance if I offend anyone.
  • Hi All

Have just entered this as it will make a change from the 20 mile LSR's I do locally. Not looking forward to the hilly bits, but I suppose its got to be done to get to the scenic views.

Can anyone recommend any B&B's or hotels within a 20-30 mile radius?

OR - Are you the same Owen Rogers that did the Anglesey Marathon in 2005?
  • RFJRFJ ✭✭✭
    Andrew, you have mail.....

cant wait for this to come, really need the motivation and confidence from a 20m.

Trg really upset by suspected viral pnuemonia, missed out on all my ultra trg, had 7-8 weeks trg before going down, 4 weeks off, now back and clear bill of health..... but will only really get 3 x 20m runs in for FLM plus an 18, not ideal, but at least I havent yet had to defer...

Take care all.

• I've just entered thisonline as part of my marathon training. Hope I can get round in sub 3hours :s
  • This time last night I thought it would be a really good idea to enter this, now I'm starting to worry! I did 20 miles on the flat last weekend, but I'm just worried about the hills now...
  • Don't worry - if you can do 20 miles on the flat you will get around this race okay. I know there are some hills in this (the main one being from 4 to 6 miles) but i have found this race usually only takes around an extra 5 to 10 minutes to a flat 20 miler
  • SteveJ - Thanks for the news about the hills. Did my first 20-miler last Sun, so Rhayader will be my second. If only 5 to 10 mins more due to hills, may run it at Mara pace.

However, Rhayader's only 4 weeks before my Mara, so may run it just as an LSR, and go for something reasonable like about 3hrs.
  • I think i'll decide my pace on the day initially this was a training run for the FLM but sometimes you cant help getting competitive in a race.
    Marathon pace would be 9 min miling(so 3 hrs)but may settle for 3:10-15
    Got a really important race the following week where i am looking for a PB-Liverpool Half 1:45(hopefully)

p.s.Hope it doesn't get too windy up there not a big fan of the old head winds i.e.1 step forward,2 steps back
  • Gadget Man, I am that man, and I do believe I recognise the background in your picture! I'll see you again on Sunday week then.
  • OR - I presume by Sunday you really mean Saturday. Hope you manage to get rid of that injury of yours.

Although this is a race, I will be treating it as another LSR for my build-up to the FLM. Looking for around 3 hours. I've also got myself down for the Liverpool HM the week after, which I will be treating as a race.
  • Yes, I did mean Saturday, though I tried 5 miles today and broke down at 3, so I won't be running. A mate of mine has entered, so I've volunteered to drive him, if he decides to run on his own. I was contemplating coming across anyway, so I've got more incentive now.

Good luck everyone, I'll be shouting at you from a silver Volvo estate, and running next year, hopefully.
  • Gadget man we seem to be doing the same marathon prep!

After a lousy 17 on saturday i decided to do my Lsr today an 18 miler.
    What a difference unbelievable felt really good all the way round.
    I ran at what felt a comfortable pace and ended up clocking a time 2 mins quicker than my 17.Explain that one!

I think Madness pumping out of MP3 player must have lifted me,well chuffed looking forward to next week now.

One Step Beyonnnnnnnnnd!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • B.John - nice posting :-) Full of the 'joy of running'.

Unfortunately, I'm not there with you. It's a dead cert I can't do this now. Shin problem not clearing. I'll contact the organisers and see if I can defer to next year - anyone know if they're sympathetic with this sort of thing?
  • B.JOHN - Looks that way. I'm following one of the RW schedules but have modified it to fit in with races and personal circumstances. Do my LSR's on a Friday most weeks. Would probably enter more races but that means asking the family to look after the kids more and there's only so many times you can do that without feeling you are taking advantage.

I read an article in RW about running to music and matching beat to pace. Maybe on this run, you were listening to a different set of tracks with a beat that matched your running pace. Although if you were listening to Madness you must have been moving some...
  • RFJRFJ ✭✭✭
    Aiming for 2:50-55 for this, and treating as an LSR.

No 13
  • RFJ - I am aiming for similar around the 3hr mark although the hills may slow me down a little. Will try and keep up with you. Received my programme yesterday and No 213.
  • really looking forward to this. furthest before is a half marathon so will be in completely new territory. hope the weather will be kind to us. recieved my programme, am No 2. Am hoping for 3hr-3hr 15min
  • I'm in, just done Trimpell 20 miler and up for this one next week. Bring it on ;-) See you all there ;-)

Pug
  • RFJRFJ ✭✭✭
    Sounds Good to me Gadget Man, will hopefully be running with System of a Clown too. (Just look for the Red Bandana)....

• I think your probably right Gadget Man without realising i might have upped the pace a bit.The main thing is how good i felt afterwards,sometimes when you push to hard without realising in can lead to injuries.
    Think i'd be lost on them Lsr's without my mp3 player.I think the trick is to keep changing your music to avoid boredom.
  • you lunatic Pug

Still, good news for Wirral in respect of Borders League next Sunday ;-)

• Hi there,

Well I am back on the road after two weeks off with a bad ankle and shin. Llanelli 1/2 done today with no probs. Can confirm I have remembered I am in the Hopefuls team

The male HOPEFULS team:-

Tarmac Runner
    Peaceman
    Mark Perry
    Welsh Alex who has remembered about this :-)

I am number 51.
  • Hi All,

Unfortunately du to my stupid injury (really better not to ask!!) I am not going to be running but think that other half will be. Does anyone know what the Feed stations are or whether entrants can supply their own stuff for the stations?

Ta muchly!!

Loon
  • That's good news Alex :-)

I'm not too good at the mo but looking forward to the day out. Will be very jelous of you all though, except if there is glorious sunshine that is ;-)
  • hmmmmm this may be a possibility , will continue pondering Tuesday Wednesday. I managed 16.6 miles mainly along Shropshire union canal towpath between Chirk & Ellesmere on Saturday. Very slow 3hrs 15min(all valid runnering excused muddy boggy path, checking map when towpath closed & blocked; phoning wife & the loo stops) - - of course will be faster in a 20mile race ( hopefullly)
    i'd aim for 3 hr to 315
    i'd be with white baseball cap with rob on (if i can find it) buckley runners t shirt (if not freezing) but usually with beard & glasses !!
    I'd welcome companions aiming for similar time. ( building up for London ... may see you saturday ..hmmmmm)
  • PruePrue ✭✭✭
    Hmmmmmmmm Don't know if I'm looking forward to this race as much as I was. I had a great run on Sunday at the Stafford 20 and finished in 3.15 feeling fantastic as I ran round, but as soon as I finished it was a completely different story :-?

Hopefuly my body will react a bit better, as I've never felt that way before even after my last marathon.

Does anyone know how many water stations there are and where there placed? I know on Sunday I could have done with one between 14-18 miles?

Thanks