Sub 3

Comments

• TR I've got a 10k race 7 days before Edniburgh as a last blast, going balls out in that one as it's in the middle of my taper, and will be good to push it one last time... find a race 10k, or less a week before...

Pug
  • Odeon1085Odeon1085 ✭✭✭
    Mattyf- You can do both (I've got Rome next week [sh*t] and FLM 5 weeks after). In Paris you have to make a decision, balls out or not bother. If u sub 3, then cruise around London and enjoy the day. Unfortunately, they are too close together to be able to recover if you just miss it in Paris methinks.

CRAB- Come and join Tr and I balloon following (and that's not ballon knot following).

Bloke from my club did 2 x 2.45 6 weeks apart.

Gels for me at 5,10,15 and 20.
    CRAB- a fanny pack??
    As I've run out of energy at 22m last 2 times, was thinking of running with a NAthan full of luco (800ml) as Rome only have cups of Gatorade that no doubt I will spill all over my face. Don't want to take the chance of missing my gf handing it to me during the race. Bit g*y tho...
  • TmapTmap ✭✭✭
    Did my old fave of 26 x 300m last night at the track.

Felt great, although couple of twinges in the shin makes me wonder if it's the anticlockwise turns which hurt me - might do the next one clockwise if it's not busy. Anyone else experienced this?

• Tmap 26 x 300m ??? Blimey, what pace they at?

Pug
  • Tmap 26 x 300m ??? Blimey, what pace they at?

Pug
  • Tmap - yes, I have a minor muscle imbalance in my lower back which may be track related.

As I move to 3 track sessions per week I'll be looking to do one (probably the 12 x 400) clockwise.
  • TmapTmap ✭✭✭
    Pace is basically a slow jog for 100m, then basically as fast as I can for the rest, finishing nicely out of breath. I suppose it's probably similar to 3-5k pace but I haven't measured it. Will take my stopwatch next time.

I like it because it's nice and simple; I'm someone who finds even basic counting quite hard when I'm running.
  • Thanks for the advice. I have run Paris before. My original thinking was that I'd got to Paris, see how it went, then if I missed my target, I could have a second go a week later. my current thinking is that I'll have it in the back of my mind and when the going gets tough late on I'll have an excuse to back off the pace. I suppose if I just do London it'll be all or nothing.
  • Pugheaven Predicted Trimpell 20 Mile Time
    Si Jeffs Reckons = 2:03:40
    Njord Reckons = 2:04:59
    G.R Reckons = 2:05:15 (due a good one)
    Crowie Reckons = 2:05:24 (hopes!!)
    TR Reckons = 2:05:29 (Sensibly paced) 2:12:30 (not)
    Pug Reckons = 2:05:30
    Marshallini Reckons = 2:06:00
    CM Reckons = 2.06:00 (Sensibly paced) 2.12:00 (not)
    CRAB Reckons = 2:06:30 (Sensibly paced) 2:11:30 (not)
    sprinting toffee Reckons = 2:06:34.21
    OuchOuch 2:07:00
    Ode Reckons = 2.07:00(Sensibly paced)2.13:00(not)
    JH1 Reckons = 2:07:09
    MikeS Reckons = 2:07:30 (Looks like dodgy weather)
    JEJ Reckons = 2:08:01 (10M split 62:28)
    nichs2 Reckons = 2:25

Njord Predicted Trimpell 20 Mile Time
    G.R Reckons = 2:15:10
    Pug Reckons = 2:16:10
    OuchOuch 2:17:00
    Njord Reckons = 2:22:22 (5 min neg split)

Pug
  • Hail Hail

matty - the last 2 years I have done both Paris & FLM. Paris is by far the better course - much flatter, and fewer turns - although you need to get a good start, otherwise you'll get clogged up. Mind you, the same re the start can be said of FLM. At least in Paris you dont have fancy dress or "celebrities" in front of you. FYI 2 years ago I ran 3.00 & 3.12 respectively, and last year 2.46 & 2.52. In my opinion (like anybody here has ever bothered listening to me before anyway), unless Paris is seriously bad conditions, race it, and do FLM as the "fun" event that it is. You'll enjoy FLM more than Paris anyway.

Pug - I know that the above times are not "top" of the rankings, but it does go to show that you can run back to back marathons with respectable times.
  • Just found out that on Sunday, 35mph winds are expected in Morecambe :-( Can't believe it!!!

Pug
  • Advice please on tapering....

I have planned out my training for a sub 2:50 FLM attempt. All is going well with a 1:19 at Watford Half and a 36:20 windy/undulating 10K last week. I have planned MK Half this weekend (target sub 78ish) and Oakley '20' 3 weeks before (target sub 2:10ish).

My questions is this - what should I be doing between Oakley and FLM - I hadn't planned any racing, but shorter, sharper runs. Can anyone provide me with an idea of lengths/pace of runs I should be doing in that 3 weeks period?

Cheers

WS
  • Anyoen seen this? Weirdo's... bet the kids are lookers lol... Deliverance springs to mind ;-)

Click For This One

Pug
  • RB Family first and all that. Wise decision.
  • Hail Hail

Thanks Crab. Tempting though your offer was. Berlin, Abingdon, Luton instead?
  • Cheers Tmap.

That'll do for me!

WS

• nichs2nichs2 ✭✭✭
    willy
    on 3 runs a week I thought you had started your taper already!

can't get it up
    my 14 miler yesterday and my 1x5k today were ran as hard as possible , but my heart rate just stayed low....i want some quality, but the body is struggling....ho hum
  • CartmanCartman ✭✭✭
    nichs2, have a couple of VERY easy days (keep HR below 70%Max, and keep milage low) before your next kwality session and you shouldn't have any bother getting it up..
  • GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    It's warm here after New York

What have I missed ?
  • nichs2nichs2 ✭✭✭
    cm
    yes, i thought that may be the case, but i'm entering the "can't miss a session; it always feels like i'm not doing enough miles" phase of the schedule. i have been doing very sensible recovery runs all through this year's training.

I'm doing finchley 20 next sunday and brentwood 1/2 in 2 weeks. these may be "eyeballs out" attempts if all goes well. these should therefore be reasonable indicators as to where i'm at.
  • Took the day off from running yesterday – due to tight chest/runny nose and sore knee-cap. Still biked though – didn’t decide upon rest day until I was already at work.

Took some vitamins and went to bed early (rock and roll lifestyles eh!). Although it’s probably only the toilet bowl that gets to see the vitamins.

Don’t feel much different, but hopefully I will when running tonight. MG has said to do yesterday’s planned 90 min run today instead of the planned intervals.

Didn’t miss it one little bit, so at least I havn’t got the habit too bad - yet ! I may be able to give it up after FLM (and possibly one other – TBA) without using patches (containing sweat and essence of sea-water/wind).!

• I've gone three days without a run now, foot's a little better, so will probably do a 5 miler tonight if I can be bothered... never had this much time off :-)

TR Don't go pushing yourself if your'e ill, it won't do you any good, believe, I do it all the time!

Pug
  • Brian61Brian61 ✭✭✭
    Heyup, did my Hadd 90 mins (70 at MP) yesterday.
    Felt a bit under the weather, loose in the nasal passage and
    sandpaper in the throat, but hey ho....
    10.4 miles @ 6:40 pace, harder on the lungs than the legs (normally
    the other way round).

Dentdale 14 on Saturday at MP, then Spen 20 a week on Sunday.
    Can't wait to have a go at Spen all this talk of 20 milers.
    Will aim to do the first lap at MP, then go thru the gears (hopefully
    UPward) on the second 10, ending with a pb of 2:11.

Just hoping this throatie thing doesn't materialise into the dreaded lurgi.

Off to walk the whippet, feed the ferret and let the pigeons back in.....
  • NjordNjord ✭✭✭
    Whippets, ferrets, pigeons.....

....if it wasn't for the whining about sore throats, I could've sworn you were from Yorkshire

;-)

Seriously, take things easy for a few days.
  • Dan ADan A ✭✭✭
    RB - bad luck mate; and I don't just mean last night's footie in Milan.

Mattyf - I'm also doing Paris & London. NADS out in Paris, with a plan to jog round FLM with someone else in the slow lane. If it all goes mammaries vertical though, I reserve the right to race in London (and balls it up twice). Not quite in RB territory, but I managed 2.52 & 2.58 at Cardiff and London, 3 weeks apart last year.

CRAB - maybe you and RB should race each other from the wheelchair start this year.
  • Dan A I think I speak for RB too when I say 'and maybe you could fck right off you cheeky sod!' (I know you like an ale or two but surely even you can spot the difference between London and New York!)

tmap Great! Looks like my taper needs to begin before my build up ;o)

Talking of which there has been a little bit of progress with a couple of jogettes (I wasn't joking about the 9min/miles last week). The thing holding me back now is pain/weakness in the groin area. Which I thought was unrelated but apparently part of this bastid sciatic (getting right on my) nerve passess down through the groin area so is probably related. One step forward, two steps back and all that.

Still gonna beat TR though ;oP
  • Dan ADan A ✭✭✭
    Good point CRAB, I meant NY not London. Mind you, when you run as many crap marathons as I do, with the sight of thousands of people streaming past you, they all begin to look the same after a while.
  • Mattyf:

I would definetly go for the sub-3 for one and use the other to jog round and enjoy!! With limited marathon experience,I did Cardiff last year sub-3, folllowed by NY 3 weeks later. In hindsight went off too quick at NY,got to 19/20 miles and had to walk/jog the rest. First time ever walked in any race/training run.Legs wouldn't function. You may get away with it if do very high weekly mileage like DAN A. Difficult one to call - with FLM huge support will make you a bit quicker, but if only jog round Paris have left it all to do at FLM. If weather conditions ideal in Paris i would tend to go for it.