Comments

• Pugheaven Predicted Trimpell 20 Mile Time
    DN Reckons = DNS
    Si Jeffs Reckons = 2:03:40
    McTag5k Reckons 2:04:46
    Njord Reckons = 2:04:59
    G.R Reckons = 2:05:15 (due a good one)
    Crowie Reckons = 2:05:24 (hopes!!)
    TR Reckons = 2:05:29 (Sensibly paced) 2:12:30 (not)
    Marshallini Reckons = 2:06:00
    CM Reckons = DNS (Sensibly paced) DNF (not)
    CRAB Reckons = 2:06:30 (Sensibly paced) 2:11:30 (not)
    sprinting toffee Reckons = 2:06:34.21
    OuchOuch 2:07:00
    Ode Reckons = 2.07:00(Sensibly paced)2.13:00(not)
    JH1 Reckons = 2:07:09
    MikeS Reckons = 2:07:30 (Looks like dodgy weather)
    JEJ Reckons = 2:08:01 (10M split 62:28)
    Pug runs 2:08:53 with 61:15 split
    Pug Reckons = 2:10:00 (If I can Finish)
    nichs2 Reckons = 2:25
    Johnny one Post Reckons = DNF
    WW Reckons = DNS/DNF
  • sorry Pug - cross post.

You're secretly quite pleased though I reckon! You cocked it up completely and still ran 2.08 - not to be sniffed at!
  • Exactly what I was thinking, 2.08 is superb.
  • Nope, thought it was okay in the car driving home, but now I'm of the opinion, it's wank I'm afraid... all I had to do, was run 31 minute 5 milers, and I'd have had a great time, but no, I think I'm better than I am and go out with Helen Lawrence and Clive West, some of the best club runners around... I'm a complete idiot and deserve the pain I was in from 15 miles...

Sometimes I amaze myself with my own stupidity!

Pug
  • OK, so...

Padams - out of my league - sooo quick!

OO - I wish I could manage a sprintfinish like that for the last 2 miles - you must have much more in the tank?

Pug - fading to 2:08 - I think I'd be happy with that! - especially as you've obviously learned a huge amount from teh experience - I guess the critical hing is deciding how you're gonna make it work better and show us what you can really do.

Spent most of this week away with work myself - still managed 3 runs whilst there though, including 12 Thursday am after a skinfull the night before - then 1o with the club straight from the airport!

Decided to treat myself to a scenic LSR today - no pace monitoring or anything - 2 1/2hrs on the hills in the sunshine to bring the week up to 71 miles - officially my biggest week total ever - and yet still no where near what some of you guys have been doing - hohum.
  • OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    Pug - Gosh I thought you'd do at least 2:07. Gutted for you. Where do you from here ;)
    NM2 - Thanks for the thanks.....I was thinking the same about the Pugster.
    Padam - Yes, very differen from last weekend - springlike.
    Crab - Well done for keeping that turbodiesel ticking over.
    Njord - Looks like you paced that race well.
    DadofTwo - Sounds like you had a great LSR. Running without pressure - wonder what's that like?
    Nichs2 - Detroit City - no blidy chance - Hardy Eustace. I'll chuck in the Listener for a 32/1 double. Off myself to Chelters (Dan A?) Wednesday, after of course a Dawn Run myself.
  • Saturday, 17 March 2007
    Rhayader 'Round the Lakes' 20

Doing this one next Saturday, bollox to this tapering and arsing about, race one b%$tard every week I reckon ;-)

11 Weeks and a shed load of training to make up. Easy! 2:36 WILL happen in Edinburgh! Simple!

Pug
  • by the way Padams, awesome run today mate i that Half ;-)

Also, Njord, good to meet ya, and well done, knew you'd go quick, and that 2nd half was ace ;-)

Pug
  • CartmanCartman ✭✭✭
    pug, lol and rofl (lots) ;-)
  • Top running Padams, OO and Njord. Nice to see your injury is ok Pug, ask Njord for some pacing advice. A wise old running sage once told you not to go off too fast - it's running how difficult can it be ?

Did a steady 8 on Saturday, one V sore kneecap by the end. Started all the stretches, slef massage (ooh err) and did tons of squats and lunges too, trying to loosen/strengthen surrounding muscles.
    Consequently woken up with v. achy legs today and felt like I'd lost an arse-kicking contest. Legs (and glutes!) groaned when I started out today but bagged another 20 (no 7) - legs muscles were screaming by the end.
    Knee amazingly loosened up a bit for last 6/7 miles. It's a bit sore now, but I've done the exercises a few times since the run - even some one legged squats too.

Hopefully it will ease a bit with all the treatment - must say my hamstring flexibility was piss-poor, I'm amazed I can even stand up straight !

CRAB - nice one on the kids gongs.

Ode - still in the doghouse ?

All these fast times put my efforts to shame, there's not many mediocre runners left on here.

How did you go today GR ? Another speed merchants time no doubt?
  • pug think someone's spammed your account. I mean not like the real puglet to report poor pacing, another race straight away and monster training to come. I must say you're 6mm at Edinburgh is sounding as believable as my sub3 at FLM. The more we say it the more likely it is to happen fella you know that don't you - lol/rofl. From memory 2:08 is about my Cardiff split so if you think you can maintain a pace for 6.2 miles more that will see you finish 12minutes ahead of me in just 11weeks you really do have some self-belief. Hope you're right.

JEJ I guess AY3 (whoever he is) is AY4's younger brother. Top pedantry marks to you sir. Would have been proud of that one myself.

That fckn rocket up yet?
  • GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    evening all

Still a solid run Pug but knowing how I felt after Draycote I feel your pain.

I did this

4th overall, result 4.55.24 (waiting for official) Not 4.40 but a good days work.
    Conditions were warm with a constant wind down the start finish straight. Made the race tougher than I expected.

Lessons learned about track racing. NOT as easy as it looks. my left leg took a battering and was reason for a little common sense after 28 miles. Hip flexor, ankle and hamstring were very uncomfortable although I got to 32 miles before cramp set in. Used common sense and backed pace down so A. I could run continually B. so not to do any real hamstring damage.

Good news was I was full of energy and went through marathon in around 3.03(was very comfy) so 4 mins down on Draycote but hit 35 miles only 2 mins down. I know 43 mins for the last 5 miles but even I use my head sometimes.

Other lessons, I forgot about the extra distance to make 4 laps to a mile which messed the pacing slightly but did make me run slower and use more control.
    3 weeks is a little close together to race ultras hard(am sure this did not help legs) More than a 4 day taper is also a good idea. I needed to do this for me and considering I know the intensity I have trained between races I am very happy. Somewhere in the last 6 months I forgot that it was also supposed to be challenging and enjoyable and today I had a great day.

Great progress on the hydration and energy front, a slightly modified plan worked well. 10pm ish here and I drove back from Barry and feel fine, I am walking quite well and will even get a gentle run in tomorrow and a stretch to loosen off.

For me today was worth it

• CRAB Shame about your continued injury woes. The big showdown may have to be postponed then. Maybe at a much shorter distance to give me more of a chance.

Mind you if my knee cap doesn't respond to all the intensive TReatment, then I'll be sitting next to you on the bench - although when I sit down it will catapault your end of the bench up in the air !

Still I'm not backing out yet, I've put way too much time into this to have to bail - unless the soreness increases to an unable to run stage.

Good one Pug, straight back on the offensive - your enthusiasm is still top notch.
    I recognise the tapering term but not the arsing about one.
    You're not a wearer of comfortable shoes on the quiet are you?
  • Gobi, Sorry I missed your post - cross post.

Awesome stuff again. It was only a few weeks back that you posted a 5K race time.

I don't know how you do it ? Inspirational stuff.
  • GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    cheers TR

I ran a sub 1.24 half in minus 8 last weekend as well.

Feeling good :¬)
  • Odeon1085Odeon1085 ✭✭✭
    Gobi- I was going to remind TR about that. (1.24). Busy on here 2nite.

Ditto the racing comments Padams, Njord, OO, Gobi.

Obviously JEJ has now taken y prediction mantle off me for 2007. U did know u even got the predicted hr right as well for me.

PUG, PUG, PUG- Where does one begin. I think you do it now to teach yourself a lesson. and that 2nd half was ace ;-)

2.08 is still a 2.08. U should set up a pacing company ;).

Last mlr for me today 12.5. Tried the black ones out today for the first time. Have to say very impressed with them. Bit dehydrated today which provided a slightly elevated hr, but normal service resumed this evening.

TR-Good effort mate. Thought u'd bin the lsr but it will all pay off in the end.

• Rome Marathons -Predictions for Ode

Big day for Ode a week today, must be time to start some predictions. Im very confident he will go sub-3,if all goes well, will go well under.
    I reckon somewhere between 2.50 and 2.55: So I say 2.53.

May see you at the Rhyader 20 next week Pug. Using it as a training run myself. Should be happy with 2.08, after problems with calfs etc
    Hang in there TR. I had acheilles/knee probs. a few weeks back, sorted out with calf stretches. After all effort, would be worth a visit to the Physio. at this stage.

Anybody give views on length of LT runs.

• Gold RushGold Rush ✭✭✭
    Evening all,

Well, its certainly been an eventful days racing.

Padams- Awesome time mate, different league.Looking good for sub 2.40

Gobi- Thats a fair track session! Well done mate great time and achievement. I'm still mentally scared from my 50m from last year so i can appreciate what a quick time that is.

Pug- What can i say,I think with recent trials and tribulations a 2.08 is a very respectable time, i know its not what you are after but still a useful 20miles in the bank.I admire your determination and enthusiasm, onwards and upwards as they say.

Njord- A very well paced run, well done mate

OO-Well done to that mv40 a great sub 1.20 and well done on the new p.b.looking good for sub 2.50

Crab-Good work in the saddle fella.Does the sciatica problem not give you any grief on the bike?...I guess not the amount of miles you're doing.

T.R- Another 20 in the bank, well done mate.Hope the knee holds up o.k maybe a couple of easy days required.

Dad of two-I agree, so nice to just go and and run with no pressure on time or distance,certainly a nice day for it

Well Fleet half for me today, was'nt feeling too confident after a 70mile week with a 15hr workshift yesterday,but lined up planning on 6.06's for a sub 1.20

1m=5.41 HR=140 ooops easy tiger
    2m=6.04 148 Thats a bit better
    3m=5.53 148
    4m=6.16 148 think the mile markers were out
    5m=6.03 146 (29.59)feeling o.k
    6m=6.08 148
    7m=6.08 148
    8m=6.07 147
    9m=6.10 145
    10m=6.20 147 (60.55)lost concentration a bit
    11m=6.05 147
    12m=5.54 148 working a bit harder now
    13.1m=6.32 152

Watch time 79.27 and a new p.b by over 2mins.....very happy with that still waiting for the official chip time.
    Apart from the first mile pretty pleased with the pacing and the Av H.R =147 approx 87%max
  • Hail Hail

Superb pb GR! Seems I'm dropping down the half rankings (now there's an idea for a bean counter with a spare 20mins) quite considerably. Serves me right for not racing that much - last half was in Sep '06.

Gobi - awesome stuff. An ultra is one thing, but on the track?!? Don't you get dizzy? Shows how mentally tough you are!

OO - and compliments to you too Sir. Top marks!
  • PadamsPadams ✭✭✭
    JEJ - your description of the conditions from last year sounds exactly as it was this year. I basically equalled my 10K and 10M PBs en route thanks to the tailwind for the first 5 or 6 miles. I beat Jamal by 25 secs - he was running with the guy who finished 2nd most of the way, about 30 secs ahead of me (I was on my own in 4th from mile 6 when I dropped the guy I was with). Then he dropped off the guy who finished 2nd (around mile 11), I started closing into the headwind and thought I had a chance of catching him. I took him in the 12th mile I think and he seemed to be struggling a bit, as I took another 25 secs out of him after that. I nearly caught the guy in 2nd in the end. As always, they've added 3 secs to my time, 74:12.

Great racing GR, Gobi, others I've missed! Pug - look at the positives, the injury was OK, you went off too quick and still ran 2:08. A couple of weeks of solid training with some speedwork should make 6 min/mile seem quite easy.
  • Pug - I agree with Padams. IMHO I reckon a mini-rest then some solid training is gonna do you more good than banging out another race next weekend.

GR great run and like the idea of HM list, particularly as I'm racing one this weekend. Just hoping I can recover from yesterday in time to have a crack at the sub-80. Looking fwd to taking things nice and easy this week.

Predictions for Ode

AY4: 2.53.00
    NM2: 2.55.12

Predictions for NM2 at Silverstone Half.

NM2: 79.30 (pb by 30 sec)
  • Padams - impressive to close up on Jamal into the wind. Whereas us tall folk appear to struggle, he doesn't have much in the way of surface area for the wind to blow against ;-)

GR - nice one.

I feel the need to race a HM, but unlikely to until the Autumn / winter now. I'll stick to my 10M race and pretend.

Pug - too much racing. I admire the way you're fighting back from disappointment, but FWIW I don't think you're going about it the right way if you want to maximise your potential in Edinburgh. I'd make some suggestions, but figure you'd ignore them anyway ;-) Drop me an e-mail if you're interested.
    Helen Lawrence's dad was one of my swimming coaches - I was led to believe that she had been suffering with injury on and off for the last couple of years, so glad to hear she went off 6 min miling. Do you know how she did?
  • Dan ADan A ✭✭✭
    GR, Gobi - I am doffing my virtual cap towards you. Excellent performances.

Would I be right in thinking that the sort of performances being posted on here, are rather rapid for a pure sub-3 aspirant, and thus the reason why relatively few new posters are appearing this close to FLM. Any lurkers want to come out the woodwork accordingly???
  • CartmanCartman ✭✭✭
    GR, bloody great 1/2M there, must be great to break 1:20..

Gobi, great performance..

45 miles for me last week. I had a pretty easy weekend, just a bit of kebabing and 2.5 hours in the saddle. Feeling much fresher..

• PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭
    Hello all,
    With all this talk of MK half-marathon, which I've just done myself, thought I'd say hello. Padams - brilliant time, well done! Was pretty pleased with my time, 1:23:56, given windy conditions - especially between miles 8 & 9 (oof!) I was speaking to a guy at the end who seemed pretty shocked that I beat him in my debut HM and suggested that since he's normally a sub-80 HM runner I could be on for a 2:50 at FLM. *LOL!!* Not sure about that but yesterday's race certainly reinforced some confidence in my sub-3 ambitions.
  • Anyone else do Milton Keynes yesterday?

I managed a second 1/2M PB this year - 77:58 - 2nd Vet - picked up a nice Nike 100 Lap watch for my efforts - well chuffed!

A pleasant course but a bit windy in the second half.

Still only managing 2 runs a week - seem to spend my whole time racing - need to cut out a few races and get some proper training done...

WS
  • GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    DanA, I agree we may be scaring people. I know I can run Sub 3 now without really trying that hard 3.03 yesterday really was just a jog.

Delighted with my result and even happier to say I have NO long term hammy issues and did my 30 mins for recovery this morning.

Impressed with the way people are banging out close to 2hr 20 milers and sub 80 half marathons.

Personally I still lack flat speed :¬0
  • Padams well done on your run, great time.

pug still an impressive run even if the pacing was a little out.

Finchley 20M for me this weekend. Any thoughts on whether tapering is required? I normally rest on a friday and thought i'd do a steady 5 or 7 miler on sat, I'm not going for a PUG-esque time, aiming to practise my MP for 15miles and then pick it up for the last 5 miles...

Oh and I reduced my long run from 21 to 16 miles yesterday, but mainly to give my legs a deserved rest. Strange how I now think that 16 miles on a sunday is a short run! What has become of me....
  • Odeon1085Odeon1085 ✭✭✭
    Jeepers- Go to bed for a few hours and a load of sub 80's appear. Well done chaps.

PhilPub- Nice run there son. Been following the improvement with interest and defo on for sub 3 at FLM.

Right 6 days to go and prediction time. I see that AY4 has started me off with a 2.53 but will give a bit of background to make it easier.

I am taking the Blisters approach of a 3 ending strategy.
    a)Sub 2.55-ecstatic and an entry in athletics data.

b) Sub 2.58- Over the moon and most importantly quicker than my female colleague;)

c) 2.59.59- Job done and well happy.

I am pretty consistent with my pacing and target. ie 3.20 ed (3.19), 3.10 cardiff (3.09).

I will be aiming for 6.40-6.45 miling ie 4.09-4.12km. Therefore the quickest I will get to halfway is 1.27.30. All being well, I will maintain it and come close to 2.55, maybe sneaking under if everything goes right.

So.. Realistically (and based on my last 2 maras, dying in the last 3-4m) I'll go for 2.56.48.

Predictions for Ode

ODE: 2.56.48

ODE: 79.15
  • Gold RushGold Rush ✭✭✭
    Morning all,

Cheers for all the well dones

7 mile recovery run this morning with no niggles so very promising.

Willy Samson- sub 78m off two runs a week....Git
    Seriously though that's a cracking time.

Geewok-Personally I'd not bother with a taper for the 20miler and if you normally have a rest day on the Friday it shouldn't be a problem.

Ode- You have definately got the basic speed (sub 60 10miler) If you have put the miles in i think a sub 2.55 is on the cards

Predictions for Ode

ODE: 2.56.48
    G.R: 2.54.10

G.R: 78.20 (based on shorter races)