Orion 15

As one of the leading running Magazines said; 'One of the great British races'.
A friendly race that has been run for over 50 years, by a traditional cross country harriers club. The course is a single 15 mile loop in the beautiful Epping forest over tracks, forest and greens on a very undulating course with hills and mud, hopefully lots of mud. All this on the edge of London with easy access by road rail and bus. all this for no set fee, just a kind donation for entry.

Comments

• WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    I'll be there!! But you already know that!
    Great course, you know you want to!!
    possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • Ian Thompson was once (allegedly) quoted in saying that running the race was one of his great achievments.
  • sounds fantastic - is there a map of the course available online?
  • WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    boing for Dave, krusty I will try and find out about the map. Its a brilliant race!
  • GavoGavo ✭✭✭
    I'm aiming for this one as well. I like the idea of a race where I can still have a lie-in
  • I'll be there. One of the highlights of the year especially if it keeps raining. I'll bring some Hylands mud with me if not.
  • Gavo, Your need a lie-in before and after this one. of course when you have done the correct and right thing and passed a beer my way as the race finishes right outside the Royal Forest Hotel. It's not just a great a British cross country course, it's got the great British Pub at the end.
  • If that's your idea of a great British pub Dave you want to get out more.

I'll still have a pint though.
  • WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    dave can you answer the question re a map online? Krusty wants to know (see above)
  • ok the pint is not as good as one could have but after 15 miles of real cross country its good enough. as for the map there is not one on line 'not of our course as it is top secret'. We have one in the club house but even i can not understand the course. Best thing is to follow the trail paper and them ever so nice marshals that will be all over the course directing, in fact i should be on course directing all. you did not think i would dare run this one!!!
  • GavoGavo ✭✭✭
    Dave - the joy of choosing this race is a lie-in on both days. And it's not a proper race if you know where you're going.
  • mud and a top secret course - what more could you want.. entry is now in post...
  • hey guys

Can anyone who has run this course let me know how tough it actually is? I recently ran a flat half in 1.35 and am wondering if it is reasonable to aim for 2 hours for this run or will the hills make this unlikely? i'm conscience of the pain involved in blowing up with 3 miles to go!
  • I decided to come down for this one after my entry for the Coniston 14 went astray. I think this will be harder but I can sleep on the train home.
  • WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    rory, just checked my other half's time for last year, he got a similar half time to you a couple of weeks back. He got round this in under 2 so I think you should be ok.
  • ok thanks, ill go for it then! could be painful but better to blow up halfway through than feel you could have done more i guess....(i think those words may come back to haunt me!)
  • Rory, where exactly did you run your half marathon time? Was it recently?
  • Unfortuately this race clashes with my attempt to smash my half marathon PB at Wilmslow so can't make it this year.

I've been looking at joining a club (to improve my running) so was wondering if any of the Orion members could add any more encouragement for me to turn up on a Tuesday or Thursday and join in a run.

I live in Chingford and have had a look at the Orion Harriers website and quite fancy the idea of training runs in Epping Forest over the summer. Even the white club vest hasn't put me off! :o))

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Simon
  • Got my number yesterday thanks Dave. Will take forms down to club on Thursday (Dagenham) but think that there is a 20 miler somewhere on Sunday which more people are doing as they are doing the marathon.

I would just count this as a 20 as it is mch more fun :-)
  • This race looks like real fun , I have got my entry in, I like races with mud and hills, always was a messy child ! Anyone know the fastest time ?
  • Rory

Sounds like you are a very wise runner, I like your ballsy attitude to pace setting.

I would love to hear more about your 1h35 half, did you find it tough or did it feel more like you were actually running at 1h45 pace?

• Simon. If you live in or near Chingford you can not miss the opportunity of running/training with Orion and friends. indeed we have members all over the uk and abroard, not that we are one of those big named clubs where you are just a number and you have to be a good runner. Not at all at this club, all members are the same and treated the same from the fastest to the slowest, from the oldest to the youngest all are a part of Orion. we are blessed with our beatiful forest, that is the reason we have so many members 1st and 2nd claim. All are encouraged to take part in events if not running to support in some other way as we are all one. This club is one of the oldest traditional cross country clubs in the country and we pride ourselves on that. if you like cross country you will love this club and it's forest, ah yes there is a pub next door! This club is here for all to enjoy, come and train, come and race, all welcome.
    'The Orion 15 race course' do not kid yourselve it will be tough but more so enjoyable, we will get you round as there will be over 50 marshals on course, 2 water stations and a final station when you finish. 'When you finish and you will' there will be more then water for you at the finish water station! this race is here for you all to enjoy.
  • Hi Dave

That's a very convincing presentation you've made for the club. I'll definitely be along to for a training run at some stage.

I'm a bit sorry I can't make the '15' this year now.
  • Hi Dave et al,
    I have entered the race but do not think I can make it - can anyone use my number?
    Cheers,
    Pat
  • Does anyone have the results from last year ? Are they on Orion website ?

Just curious as to how long I'm going to be out there !But I know it will be fun ??
  • WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    mike I think they are on Orion's website. Pat not sure about the number, hopefully Dave can shed light on that.
  • Does the race start and finish at the same place? i am hoping for some descents to ease the pain after all the hills im hearing about...!
  • Rory dillon

If you have put in loads of hillwork training over the past 3 weeks (12-15 400m hills fast with jog recoveries) you may achieve 2 hours. dont forget the spikes.
    Dig into that mud man!
  • The race starts and finishes in the same place (100 yards from the Orion clubhouse). The hills are fun! although the first 4 miles of the course are flat but take it easy as the course gets very hilly during miles 5 to 12 with the last 3 miles being pretty quick if you have anything left with the final 600 metres back uphill to the clubhouse.