Monday session - 21 October

Okay, pop pickers, let's hear your efforts to make the week's initial low point a bit more enjoyable...

This is what I'll be up to later today:

What: Long run (not too far though. Probably about 9-10 miles.)
Why: Couldn't do it yesterday cos of a number of things.

Last hard day: Saturday
Last rest day: Yesterday

Comments

• What: Either rest or easy 30 minutes on treadmill.
    Why: long run yesterday
    Last hard day: Yesterday
    Last rest: Thursday.

Tried out my new Petzl Tikka on Friday and found it OK for although only really adequate for steady runs - I suspect with speedwork I wouldn't be able to stop quickly enough! Bigger problem was glasses steaming up - can never seem to get that right, does anyone have any ideas (other than contacts as I'm not allowed to wear them)
  • hi all, first time poster on these threads.

What: Slow 5 miler tonight
    Why : Loosen up after yesterday's 10km race
    Last hard day : Yesterday's 10km
    Last rest : Saturday

PB-ied in the 10km. 49 mins. well happy with that. Felt awful for most of it as well as full of flu.
  • Hello, good morning & welcome Paul.
    Congrats on your PB may you have many more.

What - nothing
    Why - it's half term & I've got the kids so we're of to the climbing gym.
    Last hard run - 15 days
    Next hard run - 26 days
  • morning to all.

well im stuck in da house today as i also have flu, stupid me ran 10k yesterday but was well happy as i got 39.42 not bad for feeling unfit, and ive also just worked a 12hr nite shift, so off to the land of zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

ps. well done on PBs
  • Welcome Paul. 49min 10K complete with flu? Lord help the rest of us when you're fit!

What: Sweet nothing, as a reward to my legs for getting me round the half yesterday.

Actually I'm delighted. Was able to go downstairs facing forwards this morning, don't feel ill at all! Feel I could run my usual today without trouble if I tried, but I'm not gonna. A marked improvement on the halfs I ran in my previous running experience.

Still high as a kite over the half, and just about as reasonable.
  • Good Morning - what a horrible day here in Aberdeen: it's not even light yet.
    What : should be 5 mile easy but more likely 2 sessions of 3/3.5 miles
    Why: Runners world schedule
    Last Hard day:Yesterday
    Last rest day: Friday
  • Morning,

My week long rest has come to an end (flu & then outlaws were over) and i'm itching to get out and run tonight - either a short 2.5 mile jog with the missus or a five miler on my lonesome.
  • Morning all. Marj, well done! And to our valiant 10K flu-ridden racers - you got away with it without dropping dead this time, please don't do it again.

Must catch up on those Waterbeach reports - home computer completely stuffed at the moment so been offline all weekend.

So...
    What: Rest day.
    Why: Been a bit of a weekend warrior. Aching calves. Long working day today. Bogging awful weather in Brum - it's still not light here either.
    Last hard day: Saturday. Long walk in the Malverns.
    Last rest day: Friday.
  • Morning from sunny Inverness, just kidding it is cold and wet here too.

what: rest maybe light gym day
    why: long run yesterday
    last hard: yesterday
    last rest: Friday

A week today to the marathon, full on taper week.
  • Morning All - dark, wet and windy here in the North East as well.

What: Gym at lunch time/steady 5 tonight
    Why: Hardish session yesterday + speed work tomorrow

Last hard: yesterday
    Last rest: Saturday
  • Morning all – Dark, wet and miserable

What : Nothing
    Why : slept in this morning and visiting osteopath for a maintenance session this afternoon

Last Rest Day : Today
    Last Hard Day: Friday (2500m continues front crawl in 52min )
    Last Hard Run : Thursday (7½-mile @: race pace)

Only 2 more days to Cyprus and a couple of warm runs :o)

Will
  • DustinDustin ✭✭✭
    Morning all & welcome Paul.
    Paul and Speedie - what 10ks , I did Fleet yesterday (see report on events)

What : 3-4 mile recovery after yesterday
    Why : recovery

Like WW I'm off to Cyprus for a week on Sunday , and so this week and next week are my 'quiet weeks' - I'll do some steady off road runs this week (45-75 mins) , and 2 or 3 heat runs next week.
    Found out we're 4 miles from Paphos so a run into town and back every other morning should suffice (assuming I can be bothered!)

Oh yeah , STILL raining in Hants
  • Morning from Iceland. Snow, snow and more snow. Temperature is about 0 degrees, so it's really icy underfoot.

What: Easy 3 miles today. But later on, I think.
    Why: recovery

Ran what was meant to be an easy eight miles yesterday - the first six miles off road in the snow were fine, but the last two miles were on a causeway across the fjord, running on tarmac through ankle deep crunchy ice. Then the blizzard hit! I´d been X-country skiing that morning and didn't realise how much it would affect me. Was completely gone by the time I got home!
  • What : rest
    Why : taper for 1/2M next w/e and raced yesterday
    last hard day : yesterday
    last rest : sat

Training is definitely working! Friday I ran my standard 5.2 mile circuit at a nice steady pace and came in just over 45mins. Looked back at my training log and found that my avg HR for this was now 10-15bpm lower than it had been in may / june at the same speed.

put this new found form to the test on a nice x-c fun run on sunday and turned in a respectable 7:32 mile avg - pulled along by a battle royal between 3 leading ladies - thanks. Hoping to get a nice sub 7:00mile avg at next flat 10K.

Oh, tried out my new Adidas lightfoots for the first time, great on grass, bit slippy on bare earth (wet not soft) but better than road slicks.

Worried about next 1/2m no long run (>10mile) since windsor and my own kevin has a manky flu/cold/sorethroat bug.
  • NessieNessie ✭✭✭
    Stickless - well done! You must be so chuffed at completing the half, and to be able to do the stairs today too!

MartinH - try perching your glasses a bit further down your nose that normal - even half a cm lets air circulate behind them and they don't steam up so much. Nothing helps when it rains though.

Today:

What: Badminton with some colleagues after work.
    Why: I seem to have committed myself to this without remembering - the memory must be going......

Had a very lazy weekend (unless a night of dancing counts as cross training) so I may try to fit a run in aswell.
  • Rest day today, moved digs on Friday, need to have a sort out, typical female, never learned how to travel light, everything but the kitchen sink and the magazine mountain. Quite pleased with last weeks training, around 22 miles out on the road, highest mileage to date.
  • V-rap, lucky you in Malvern. When I was poor ickle foreign student at Warwick with no home to go to in the hols, Malvern became home from home for me, with people on whom I could descend without warning. Love them hills.

When are you and Kevin heading to Fort William, and may the weather gods be as kind to you as they were to me!

• Still chucking it down in Huddersfield.
    Excellent party on Friday completely ruined the weekend from a training viewpoint!

What : Swim @ lunchtime and 4 mile easy after work.
    Why : See above + hill reps tomorrow.
    Last Hard : Thursday.
    Last rest : Sunday.
  • Hi all.

What: nothing
    Why: rest day between yesterday's race and tomorrow's club session
    Last rest day: sat
    Last hard day: yesterday (PB'ed!)
  • Nessie, when was the last time you played badminton?
    Mind your butt muscles tomorrow!
  • A friend of mine snapped his achilles tendon playing badminton - it was a bit painful (I am the master of understatement) plus he had his leg in (full length) plaster for four months and could never play again!

Hope you win!
  • NessieNessie ✭✭✭
    Thanks guys - you've made me feel soooo much better. I haven't played badminton since before I moved to Inverness, and that was 12 years ago, so I guess tomorrow may be painful. However, I have been assured that none of the other player are very good either, so I hope it won't be too bad.
  • Hi Dustin.

I completed the Croydon 10k on sunday, love this route as I use it for my long runs on sundays.

Enjoy Cyprus, Ive just come back from a 2 week stay in Greece and I ran every day and and sometimes even twice but I was trying to get to see how i would cope with the heat on long runs as im doing the Vegas marathon in feb.

have a goodun.
  • Boy am I sore today. I guess doing a 21 mile ride Saturday, a 16 mile run Sunday and clearing out the garden during the weekend as well is probably asking a bit much, so....

What: nothing (would be nothing on Monday anyway but today I'm particularly knackered)
    Why: see above
    Last hard run: yesterday
    LAst rest day: today.
  • Speedie,
    didn't see your post until just now but I did the Las Vegas Marathon in Feb 2001 and I just wanted to reassure you that although it can get a little warm right at the end, the weather is usually perfect at that time of the year in the desert. Particularly as the humidity is usually extrodinarily low as well.

Perhaps the best thing about this marathon is that you can eat at Lotus of Siam, the food here is so good that I wept with joy as I ate each spoonful. Seriously, it is appallingly great, you'll be glad that you did, fer real!
  • Hoooray, someone i have found who has done the vegas mararthon, thanks for the tips,looking forward to this big time, well this will be the marathon that im trying to get a sub 3:15 ( really want 3:05)then if i also get into london i think id better treat that as just a good day out, dont think i should push too hard as there is only 6 weeks between the two and thats if i even get in London.
  • Hi everyone, haven't run for a week after pulling a muscle at the gym so planned a longish run today. Went out expecting wintry weather and found myself overdressed and overheating massively as it was quite warm and humid. Ended up doing just over 7 miles before it all got too much!
  • Hello all.

What; 60 mins cross training in the gym plus some weights.

Why: still rehabing after torn calf and tendon plus a nasty virus. First day I've felt like doing any training.

Last hard day: Long time ago, I'm losing count of days.

Last rest day: Yesterday.