Friday 16th March 2007

Comments

• Morning

Lovely day in Derby the sun has come back again.

What: 12.6mile medium run D&D in 1-33. Nice run along the canal, river and across fields.
    Why:Felt like it, training plan said 6 but need the miles.

Last Hard: Sunday
    Last Rest:4 days.
  • Morning all,

DD/MOL - Just as I am getting my head around 56 hilly miles, I' now being tempted into back to back.... Noooooo!

DD - great long run, I'm only at 15/16 miles for LSD and heading to 20+ in 3-4 weeks.

What: Easy 11 miles

Why: Already done 37.5 in 3 days, so a minor wind down ready for 25 over the weekend. Will actually get me to 70+ for the week, well ahead of goal.

Last Hard: Sunday

Have a great day
  • WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    hipps, excellent!
    possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • Morning!

Hippo - have a rest!

Wabo - Happy Birthday!

Good mileage, trinnirunner.

What: 10 miles @ 10 minutes each - d&d before work.
    Why: Hollywood is in training.
    Lyrics: Nope.

SUNSHINE :-)

(but snow on Monday?!)
  • Talking of SA and the sea.. not wishing to dampen SA tourism, this happened to a colleague of a South African friend of mine....

http://www.surfski.info/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=258&Itemid=30

I will be kayaking in Durban Bay while I am in SA though!
  • debbodebbo ✭✭✭
    snow on sunday in edinburgh apparently - hope not as I want to bike on sunday. grrr.

BDP - meant to say - no, they haven't changed the glasgow half course, but if you come from the flatlands you might think the Kingston bridge or the park is 'hilly'!
  • Morning all,

glad you had a good run Poppy. Hope the recovery continues.

Gosh DD, I had a hard time running just in the heat yesterday - a sandstorm would finish me off!

Are there really sharks in the swim in IM South Africa? Crikey! Must say I like the sound of this Comrades idea though...

What: 3k swim; short bike later
    Why: schedule
    Last hard: run yesterday
    Last rest: a while

Hippo are you almost at a year?!!

Good runnings all.
  • clink - trying not to panic. My life has been dominated by this race for five months now, I really don't want to be sick, especially as I so rarely get ill.

When I'm a seasoned racer like so many on here it won't seem such a big deal I guess.

Anyway, feeling OK so far today.
  • Afternoon all!

Pammie – best of luck with the driving. :0)

Treadmill – so is it hammies, or calf’s or too much alcohol or all 3? :0) Hope you manage to sort whichever it is.

Gobi – what is WCTT?

Mol – take no notice of what that Clinkers says, I’m sure I’d sink on that distance swim too! Best of luck for the marathon next week., which marathon is it? Sorry if you’ve said already.

Birkmyre and WP – good going. :0)

DD – sounds like ‘frying tonight’ weather to me! I cannot seem to run in the heat of our summers so that sounds like my worst nightmare. Nope I’m with IW on that one! Well done to you and to the lady from the UK – phewee!

Clink – are you racing this weekend then? Oh I see you have answered this! Best of luck, and yes I have been on the stairs today!

NrG-B – was the massage a pleasant experience then? :0)

Wabo – happy birthday for tomorrow! Serious celebrating to do, especially after a 19 mile run!

Hipps –well done on the running and the driving! :0)

Kenobi – think calm thoughts. Best of luck.

What: 2.42 miles – WOOHOO!
    Why: return to running
    Last Hard: Last nights bike
    Last Rest: Saturday

Well I adored that run. What fantastic weather! And actually not too hot! Did stretch out a tad, couldn’t help it. But all feels great. :0))) I am SOOO tempted to run home, but I know this is not the – err – ‘’sensible’’ option = GRRRR!

**Calling all Tri and Iron peeps**

Just WHAT has happened to my thighs please???? They have grown into tree trunks!! This is not nice, they bulge <horror>. Now then when you all convinced me to attempt such things ‘’no-one’’mentioned ‘’Thunder Thigh Syndrome’’ No they did not! HARUMPH!

Toodle pips

• Lovely to hear positive sounds from Hippo's corner!

Micksta - not quite sure to be sorry or relieved you're not showing up, as it looks like all our faster chaps are giving it a miss too. Eek! Ah well, if the ones that show up give it their best, that's all we can do isn't it...
    I guess will meet again at the track meets over summer.

Just replied to an email mrs I sent me about her work offering places for London tri.
    BR needn't frown as I don't own a bike (to be fair I own 2 commuter bikes but they're gathering dust/rust in my dad's garage in Belgium) and swim like a pallet of bricks, but they're entering relay teams and I quite fancy running a leg.
    We'll see if I get a spot...

Sharks - aren't attacks always cases of mistaken identity (ie mistaking the shadow of a surfski/surfer for lunch) but they tend to have a 'bite first, examine what it is exactly later'-policy?
  • Imski - you're right on most attacks. In the case of the surfski attack near Cape Town on the web, the shark took a clean bite out of the ski, as shown in the pics.
  • What: Nothing Again.
    Why: Work interfering.

It would be a really good thing to be told what systems you support before they break - at least that way we can attempt to fix the features before they become major problems :(

Have a good weekend all

Dave
  • BR, fradley, and Imski, you're right, I probably used more adrenalin at Crufts than I thought.

And this Saturday, I'm more or less playing host at my aunt's 100th tea party, before doing the Silverstone half on Sunday. Hopefully the teaparty will be more restful than last Sat's activities

What: nothing
    Why: mini taper for Sunday

And next week I'll get back into posting and adding my ha'porth properly (PC willing!)
  • Trinirunner - frightening post.....
  • Scooby - large, muscular thighs are cool and scare men - do you remember that scene in a James Bond film where the Russian woman could crush men to death while ... anyway, New Look jeans fit female cyclist legs really well without being baggy round the waist.

Trini - whoa! scary stuff!

HAve just delivered my last lecture of the academic year - crikey!

What: bike
    Why: Been a bit unmotivated of late, stil training but not with any focus and now my lack of fitness and speed scares me. Need to enter some races to crystallize my thinking.

Later, gators.
  • High everyone. It was a lovely sunny morning when I went out for my run - a well selected day off work!

What: 20 miles in 2:56, Pace 8:50
    Why: FLM

Hard work from 15 miles, but that's now 3 twenty milers done. Normally I'd like 5, so I may try to sneak one in next weekend.
  • Afternoon All!

Been away for a few days - on Wednesday I had major moment in my life -

I did a skydive from 12000 feet. I have to say it was the most amzing thing I have ever done in my life! Still bizzing from it now. Just thought I'd share that. :):)

Anyway, enough about that.

What: 10 miles General Aerobic running
    Why: General Aerobic endurance
    Last Hard: yesterdays tempo run
    Last Rest: Wednesday (although the pulse rate did rage!)

Lyrics: no idea

Trinirunner - scarey!
    Kenobi - hope it gets better soon
    BR - lots of stretching
    DD - seriously good running in those conditions!
    BR (again) - Pacing for FLM - I find that no matter what pace I set out at I always go slower later on so now run slighlty faster splits for 1st half to allow for slowing in second half. But then maybe that is why I always slow <Hmmm, ponders for a moment>. In Edinburgh I am looking to do even splits all the way through.
    I think that there is some "scientific" stuff written down in Hal Higdons book about pacing strategies and slowing in the latter parts. Might be worth a look.

ANyhow, best dash, Have a wonderful weekend all, and good luck to anyone racing! Hope that this snow that is forcast doesn't affect anyone too much.

FIN
  • Afternoon

Have just seen the weather for next week :(

What: 4.5 miles steady
    Why: Easy day and I love running!

Have a good weekend all
  • GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    WCTT is Wimbledon Common Time Trial a 5K

I have no idea how they know straight away you need a back to back medal but it is very nice.
  • WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    wow 200 mins, 3rd 20 done! Excellent!
    possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • What: 3 miles in a bit
    Why: Taper/easy day - 5km race tomorrow
    Last hard: Wednesday
    Last rest: 5 days
  • No chance to read thread so apologies for not commenting on others posts.

What: Physio this am followed by 30 mins gentle jog at lunchtime. Week off seems to have done groin some good and no desperate pain anymore but niggle still there and feeling uncomfortable. Think that means idea of long run over weekend are out of window and will concentrate on one or two shorter runs.

Just bought Bob Anderson's book on stretching to see if this can motivate me to do some more stretching as chronic lack of flexibility seems to be a major problem/factor in this repeated injury.

Simon
  • I have that book by Bob Anderson
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • IMSKI:
    I think IEKs team for the relay will consist mainly of our uni student bunch!

Yep, we shall be meeting in the Southern Mens League, our teams are in the same division!!! May 5th Battersea Park is the first meeting I believe. Im down to do either the 5000m or 1500m depending on who turns up and anything else I may be roped into doing 2nd string! lol
  • Evening...just about to get ready for another night shift...200 well done on the 2nd 20 of the WEEK.. I was going to just go for a gentle run when I got up...but too tired...decided to save legs for tomorrow...hoping to do 20..when I get up...dont really want to..the next chance I will get for a LSR after tomorrow would be tuesday..and the weather forecast is pretty dismal...cant do another miserable 20 ..like my first one a few weeks ago..

What : rest
    Why: not had a rest for 12 days and tired after night shift and decided to TRY and LSR tomorrow...
  • MinksMinks ✭✭✭
    Hi all,

Just popping in for a dose of reality and to remind myself that life does exist beyond the perimeter of my house!

I've now been home from hospital for two weeks and things are going pretty well. We've managed to get Kit into a bit of a routine (a bit hit and miss but he's heading in the right direction) and I'm healing well following the surgery. I've been out for quite a few walks now and this afternoon I was caning it round the park, with hubby telling me to slow down every few steps! It's frustrating being unable to lift things or to drive, but when I remember back to how I felt two weeks ago I'm amazed at how far I've come.

My maternity clothes are all now way too big for me, although I'm not back in my size 6 jeans yet. I'm having to hold up the size 10 pair I wore during pregnancy with a belt. I seem to have lost a lot of muscle - my legs are a lot skinnier than they were pre-pregnancy when I was still running 40 miles a week. I look generally thinner all over (apart from the belly, which is now down to a small pot - am slightly worried that my belly button is still an 'outie' though and keeping my fingers crossed it will pop back in as belly continues to get smaller!) which is a bit weird after getting used to seeing myself so much bigger during the pregnancy. Despite Kit's birth weight I have escaped without any stretch marks, so that's one big plus!

Overall he's a pretty good baby and very cute! Already I can't imagine life without him yet I still have moments of sheer terror at the thought that it'll never be just me and hubby again! All par for the course I'm sure, and part of the adaptation to parenthood.

I'm looking forward to the day when I can start posting on here legitimately again!
  • nrg-bnrg-b ✭✭✭
    Minks: Welcome to the world of Parenthood. Best advice is: Ignorance is Bliss ;-) You will bounce back stronger then ever. I look forward to meeting baby Kit one day.

What:
    - AAAaaaaaaaarghhhhh! (for the right quad)
    - Shhheeeeeeeet!! (for the left quad)
    - MMmmmmmaaaaaaaarrggghh! (for the right hammie)
    @!! (for the left hammie)
    Verrrrry painful deep muscle massage
    Why: 11months since the last one :-(

I told my massage mate Andy that my left hamstring was tight and he immediately said I bet your UPPER right quad is tighter - and he was right! The man is a genius.

Have a business call at 8PM so later I will spend the evening recuperating with a bottle of 6.5% Leffe Brun - sod the core work, I'm sore.
  • SiT, I guess my outgoing emails are still not working, so apologizes for apparently not replying (I have, twice). zzzzzz
  • Minks, how lovely to hear from you - I'm so glad that everything is going so well for you and hubby and Kit. Any photos yet? I have no idea about belly buttons popping back in but it sounds like you are heading back to your usual bouncy self.

I had a great swim this morning but still am having chlorine allergy issues - this has been going on since November-ish and is starting to get annoying. I take antihistamine all year round now but still am congested and sneezy after swimming. Grrr!

Peeing down here with rain.
  • Nice 40 mins massage not like nrg-b's. She does much of Barnsley Football Club and says that runners are the top ones for denying injury.

I'll either fly round East Hull or knacker my calf up further.

Wardi - looks like the traditional weather for East Hull 20 is on its way:-)

Minks - do you have a date for when you hope to do a tentative jog yet?

SiT - what would a book by darts' `Rhinestone Cowboy' tell us about stretching?:-)