Sub 3

Comments

• Jaysus it was wild out there today I feel for you folks who were racing (or even LSRing) - well done for starting and finishing, never mind what bl**dy time you did. Good to hear the positive attitude is back pug!

Ouch 73miles for me too. Finally done a week's mileage this year that I'm not too ashamed to post on this thread.
  • trying to get some perspective but not there yet...

do we know how Ode got on?
  • nichs2nichs2 ✭✭✭
    official result from hillingdon:

gained 5 seconds
    and lost 4 years

dull
    did you get a shelf filler for your efforts?!

jej
    impressive stuff

ODE?
  • I saw Ode's time earlier today. I dont know whether he would want me to put it on the forum? If you look on the Rome Marathon websiste you can see - I am really surprised with his time as i have done quite a few runs with him (20milers). He will be pretty gutted, as i am for him. He has really put everything in over the last 18weeks.
  • Great running in crap conditions all round from the sounds of it.

Pug- I had to read the bit about you actually "deciding to be sensible even though with the fron group" twice to make sure that was what it said - congrats on your discipline and even more on your enjoyment of such testing conditions.

ST - echo all other thoughts, this is the sub 3 thread - whats 5 minutes between forumites? - If your gonna make the effort to run 3:05 you may as well go for 3 (or start your own sub 3:06 thread ;-) )

Ouch & Gatorade - You've both just equalled my highest weekly mileage total - don't be ashamed of lower mileages, just be pleased you can do what you do without the extra head banging!

Nichs2 - How freeking light are you? How tall are you? I haven't been that weigth for 15 years at least!!

JEJ - Congrats on the medal run - I trust you mentioned the vital support of the sub-3 thread in any post event speech!!
  • BTW - "quiet" day at the sealife centre with the kids for me today (birthday treat (for me))

If there is anybody who wants to see what the Rhayader 20 was like, there is a video on thislink shot by The Mad Runner. Turn up the sound too - great music.
  • CartmanCartman ✭✭✭
    well done Pug, Jej great result.

NM2, you've gotta take the postives away from that. Apart from the crappy weather running the first mile farlek style is just about the worst start you can have to a long(ish) race..

can't believe Ode didn't do it, something must have gone wrong in the last couple of days (badly cooked pasta ??), with a sub 60 10 a few weeks ago, and a load of 20's, it should have been a shoo in

Ode, its only a matter of time..
  • Ode -

Last year - Wolverhampton marathon -

injured at 20miles and "literally" limped home for a 4hr finish

1 month later... 2:59 in Normandy Mara.

"You're only as good as your next race"
  • Nice racing/LSR's folks,

Nice to see you happy with a race, Pug.

I did a 20 in some horrific coastal winds today, what a buffeting that was. Got to be worth more than 20 on a still day. I was happy to finish that one. 20 miler number 7 gratefully banked.

Knee was pretty sore, but then it was difficult to remain upright at times. Felt better in new trainers yesterday, but I didn't dare wear them brand new on a 20 miler.

AY4 - checked Rome results too. I totally agree. Could be saving it for FLM.

Jakesy - thanks for your confidence in me. The whole idea is that if I fail it won't be due to lack of preparation.

• I would have re-mortgaged my house on him doing sub-3 easily. Did a 21 miler a few weeks back with hime and he was really comfterable throughout. Maybe he was a bit ill or something. He's been banging out 70m/week for quite a while. I thought he would do in thenlow 2.50's. Mentally it will be tough for him at FLM. That will be his fouth attempt
  • Forgot to mention. Did the Rhayader round the lakes 20 yesterday. Well worth doing next year if anybody interested. Between 4-6 miles was the longest hill i have ever run up. (9 mins/mile for thosse 2. Also straight into a strong head wind.. Once up there really nice run around the Elan valley, with a couple of smaller hills at 16 and 18m. Pleased with 2.22. Planned to treat as LSR, but got a bit carried away last 10.
  • Might have run within himself - deliberately.
    In an e-mail he sent me he mentioned a "stitch" type problem.

He's just saving it cos he wants to run with me at FLM. And he knows I'd burn him up if he didn't save himself for me...and pigs might fly.

If it was just a bad day, then I guess thats what makes people run marathons - they don't just give out good times for training. You've got to sit the exam too!
  • Evening all,

Some dedicated and impressive stuff...

Do2 Can vouch for Wales being 'furrowed' being married to a Welshie - bit of a bugger, given Saturday's dismal rugby performance. Always feel unfit when I venture over the border into leek land, still... builds serious stamina...or so I'm told.

JEJcracking result... am I right in that you ran the 800m? A quelle heure a'til? Excuse the dodgy french.

PUG glad to hear your own calf problem has cleared up and to read of the Spen result. Being a Yorkie, good to know the weather up there is still a tad harsh for Southern softees!!! Seriously though good man on the race, splits and regime you follow - my hard northern body wouldn't take weekly 20 mile races!

Have gradually eased up the milage this week after the disaster of MK. Seem to have shaken off the calf problem. Steady 15 and 12 miles Sat/Sun at respectable pace and no reaction...praise be. Wouldn't want all the effort to go to waste. This marathon training lark turns you into a right hypercondriac (selling?). 5 weeks today... FLM... can't wait... come on all the sub 3 threaders!!!

To witter on...
    re bloody gels...
    have ordered a SIS gel belt and will be trialling it like a good 'un during next Sat's LSR.

Have a good weeks training one and all...

• Oops...Supposed to read (spelling)
  • JEJ - missed your post earlier. Congrats! 800m was my old stomping distance... what was your time?

Have taken some solace from the fact that Hendrick Ramaala (the Silversone winner) failed to get the course record he was going for and was about 6min off his pb. He ran 66 fifty something.
  • NM2 - Poor old Hendrick - must have been gutted with his 66! :-)
  • OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    NM2 - Your 80 mins is looking better by the minute. Find yourself another half marathon asap.

Gato/Do2 - 73 miles, 3rd highest weekly mileage...that's 5 70+ weeks now in 7. Doesn't half make you feel pretty crap though ....no feelings of go billio yet.

• D of T
    Still can't work out this bold buisness?
    Yes, saw it. In fact i am in it quite a bit. I was talking to the cameraman up that hill, he had a cap on with what i thought at the time was a lamp stuck on the top. The batteries must have been running out towards the end - or is it my PC?
  • PadamsPadams ✭✭✭
    Sounds like there were loads of good runs at the weekend, forget times in those conditions. I think I avoided the worst of it by spending the weekend in Dorset, but it was still pretty nasty on Sunday.

I had a pretty good weekend. Saturday was 4M jog, followed by 2.6k swim session (felt really strong for some reason) and then 9M alternating steady and marathon pace in the afternoon. Marathon pace felt surprisingly easy and gave me a bit of confidence for the Sunday run. Sunday was 19M, first third easy, second third steady and last third MP (as per MG schedule). Managed to dip under 6 min/mile for the last third, but I don't think it was sustainable for 26.2M. Allowing for conditions though, maybe, who knows.

80M for the week, going for around 90 this week and 85 the week after, and then taper!
  • GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    79 miles last week off the back of my 40 milers should do around 100 this week if all goes to plan then a low week around 30-40 as racing again in 6hr track race.

Weight was 73.1Kgs this morning and I seemt o be staying under 74. Trouble is I still want it closer to 70.

Still waiting for Odes report
  • I'm sad to say I didn't meet any of the guys at Finchley :(

Anyway my race plan of 6:40 m/m went out the window, I ran the first in 6:08 and then thought better slow so did the next in 6:15, at which point my mindset was well why not try and keep it up and see what happens.... so that's what i did, the result:

(5 mile splits)
    31:09
    31:36
    31:41
    32:34

Finished - 2:06:59 (12th)

Obviously I slowed in the last 5 miles but I went through 13.1 miles in sub 1:23 so I knew it was going to hurt at some point.

Overall, very pleasing run in increasngly wing conditions. Oh and a PB, as it was my first 20M race.

Well done to the other's who raced, seems everyone had a decent weekend. What happend to Dull?
  • btw - 'wing' conditions = windy. Very apt typo.
  • geewok Awesome run, truely awesome nearly 2 minutes ahead of my PB... looks like you didn't die a death though, so well in.

Pug
  • Dan ADan A ✭✭✭
    Ok, time for the comedy section:- felt really lousy on Sat night/Sun morning and very nearly didn't turn up for the Finchley. Nothing to do with running into bollards - just a touch of food poisioning or man-flu or something.

Short story is that I could only managed two slow laps at Finchley before dropping out - literally couldn't have managed another lap unless I was walking; spent the rest of the day in bed. Real shame as I was looking forwards to that race for some time. So, that's four races this year: two poor times & two DNF's. In bad need of a confidence booster before Paris. Never mind, it's not life or death.

Dull went flying past me on lap two, and set a very impressive time. He will be on here soon, no doubt, to give you the full SP. Well done everyone else for this weekend. I'm off back to the drawing board.
  • GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    Dan

how are you today though ? Is it worth taking 2 or 3 days off running ?

regards
  • Dan A sounds like you did the sensible thing, better to rest than run just for the sake ofit.

pug cheers, the splits may not show it but i did feel buggered on the last lap! I'm begining to wonder if I ran too hard now though, i'm rather knackered today still, hopefully so stretching and core work tonight followed by an easy run tomorrow should speed my recovery in good time for London.
  • Dan ADan A ✭✭✭
    Definitely going to take a few days off running; well, 48 hours at least. A bit soul destroying when the mind is willing, but the body refuses to step up to it. Especially after doing well at that race last year.

Might be a virus of some sort, as I'm coughing up some nice green stuff.

geewok - what do you look like? I might have run with you for the first couple of miles before realising I was incapable.
  • Dan A a bit like this Geewok. You may have noticed my red DS-racers.
  • FINCHLEY 20

34.40 Eased off cramp setting in at 16 miles

PB by over 5 mins versus Finchley 05.

geewok I looked out for the VPH vest at the start, but couldn't see you.I even crossed the road to look at both sets of runners.

Spotted you just in front of me after we started, and tried to catch you but realised very quickly that your idea of 6.45 pace was substantially different to mine. I clocked myself through the first mile at 6.27, so you were really travelling.

Anyway looks like you ran a great race. So busy looking for you, that I forgot to look out for nichs2, I hope he had a good trip.

Anyway, I was second V50 (first in Middlesex I think). Some smark aleck 53 year old ran a staggering 2.05.??.

They should leg irons on guys like that to slow them down.

Dull