Friday 23rd March

Comments

• WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    ajh, we should spot each other tomorrow then!
    Michael, I can hardly call what I will do (if I do Brentwood) racing.... lol!
    DofT hope your little boy has a speedy recovery.
    Mike S - poor you, what a day!
    Nrg-b glad to hear bruv doing well
    ((poppy)) poor you too!
    br sorry to hear your calf is still playing up

what: rest
    why: schedule and as MC points out I am doing 15 miles xctry sat - not def muddy though Michael
    last hard: wed
    last easy: mon

good weekends all!
    possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • debbodebbo ✭✭✭
    Stuart - I'll look out for you - I'll be with a load of pirates at the back! I'm running to HR (that's my excuse!)
  • WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    stickless, lovely post yet again.
  • Had a poor night's sleep (about 4 hours in all) and now at college for a full day of study. So I'm quite tired. I had planned to get up early and run if I wasn't getting any sleep but found that by around 4am I was dropping off...only to have to get up at 8am, and had no time to run then.

I also seem to have picked up as bit of a runny nose, which is annoying me.

Will be doing around 8 miles as a recovery, maybe a little less, in the evening though.
  • Morning!

What: Did 23km run @9 min/mile before work today :-) Will do a 2km swim tonight.
    Why: Because I came home last night and sat on the sofa!
    Lyrics: Yes - I'm poot but I'm wise!

Have a good one!

• Morning all,

MikeS: Ouch! Hope you get the claim and the injuries sorted out.

BR: You're on the championship start because you've put the work in and deserve to be there. It's a tough call, but I wouldn't write off FLM yet. You may not have the mega-miles, but you've got a great aerobic base, and you've put a lot of quality in with racing. We all have doubts; I'm plagued by fears I've over-cooked it this time, but if I make the start line, I'll give it all I've got and leave the analysis 'til after. If your injury clears up, and you can get a good week in next week, see how you feel then. It's your decision, but I was relying on you to pace me :-)

GMI: Pedant's corner - shouldn't it be £0.01? 0.01p is your hundredth of a penny :-)

Stickless: Hang in there - we all have dark nights of the soul, but the dawn always arrives. Is Mr Stickless a Tyke then?

What: AM: 8mi with 10k in 36:03, actually 6.25m, so I'm claiming a sub-36 10k. PM: 5mi with something speedy in it.
    Why: It's the P&D 8-15k tune-up race that adds up to 13mi day.
    Last Hard: Today
    Last Rest: 331 days

Have a good weekend!
  • PodroPodro ✭✭✭
    Morning all

Still busy at work so not too sure of what has gone on, but commiseratons to MikeS, congratulations to MtB and Gobi, oh, and Stickless - you are more of a runner than many who claim to be.

BR - What Scobos said so eloquently. Why not focus on a few quality runs and spend the rest of your time cross-training. I can point you in the direction of a decent swimming pool if you like :)

What: 13 miles run, 15 miles cycle, coached swim
    Why: triathlon training
  • Flyaway, I've been saying for ages that I'll give heart-rate training a go (my other half is a train-slow-race-fast evangelist and it has served him very well), and am easing myself in gently by aiming to run my recovery runs under 70% WHR. I'm notoriously technophobic and am not ready to use it for anything else yet, but will do a proper max HR test and use it to structure my training after FLM.

But it's taken me over 5 years to get to this point!

Stickless, a strong and positive post :o) I love your attitude.

• IW - I'll look out for you too. Getting quite excited by it now.
  • Rest day today as Orion 15 tomorrow , I havent run further than 10 miles in the last 4 months so could be interesting, I'll be taking it very easy at the start.

Strange reading about BR's vintage 2004 , that was my last good year as well, host of injuries since.
  • Morning all,

AF - wise words!

Took a bump in my training last night, started out for a regular 10 miles and struggled right from the start, legs felt like lead. Did 2.5 miles and crawled up the hill home. Lesson 1 - don't overdo midweek session as I did yesterday. Lesson 2 - we are all human and sometime the bod just says no!

What: Easy 12 miles, no hills
    Why: Still want another 70 mile week
    Last Hard: Weds

Lyrics - yep

Have a great day
  • Afternoon all,
    Track session last night at IEK being 10x400m (1500m pace) off 2mins.
    Hit my targets spot on, but legs felt more lactic than usual. still ok(ish) kind of session I suppose!

71s
    71s
    70s
    70s
    71s
    70s
    70s
    71s
    72s
    69s

What:
    am: 3-miles easy/steady already done, niggle in the hip and left hammie this morning, no doubt from last night! felt fine otherwise though.

pm: 5.25miles easy/steadier pace, not as fast as this morning, easing down ready for Eastleigh 10k sunday.

Why:
    Cutback week and easing down for race sunday

BR:
    You need to be 100% fully confident in my mind to want to go out there and run a marathon, no good having doubts in your mind on the starting line because thats a recipe to get bitten especially in a marathon race. Best bet is to just focus on getting rid of those niggles, see how you feel nearer the time and ONLY RACE if YOUR 100% sure your ready for it!

• Morning all,

DoT - Hope your boy's on the mend.

BR, Good luck with what you decide but would wait to see how next weeks training goes at least. Hopefully this 2 day lay - off will have helped.

BR/MC - 2004 vintage must have been good - my best year to date and still my marathon and half marathon pb year.

Finally finished 2nd of 2 night shifts, 4 days off now.

What: am, 9 miles inc 5 miles at tempo pace
    pm: 9 steady

Why: cranking up a few miles mixed with some quality work.
  • Morning all,

no time to read back yet - will try later.

What: 55 min turbo with 1 leg drills d&d; 4k swim later
    Why: schedule and to see where I stand on the IM distance
    Last hard: Tuesday
    Last rest: Thurs

Good runnings all.
  • Just skimmed quickly.

Healing vibes to BR. I'm with the focus on healing camp, but I have an idea of how frustrating it is. Healing vibes to you.

Stickless, loved your post. When I was out doing my long run on Tuesday, I was trundling along at 10 min mile pace with about 3 miles to go when I passed a man walking in the other direction. We said hello (v friendly here) and I commented on how hot it was (about 80F I think). He said - 'Yes, warm to be jogging.' JOGGING?!! I was outraged - felt like yelling to the whole town 'I AM A RUNNER.' Even if I am going at 14 min mile pace, I am still a runner. Makes the blood boil. Grrrrr.
  • DoT - The only time one of my boys has been on a drip, I was amazed how much better he was once properly hydrated. Hopefully you will see the same transformation soon.

MikeS - Terrible incident, but good to have such supportive witnesses close at hand.

What: 5 or 6 miles after work
    Why: As others have said, only a couple of weeks left to get those miles in & no time for anything further (school disco calls...)
  • RFJRFJ ✭✭✭
    Greetings all,

What - 8m at MP (1:03:21)

Why - Steady run needed for mara

Last Hard - yesterday

Last Rest - Weds

Cranleigh 21 on Sunday, more miles in the bag.

Take care
  • SticklessStickless ✭✭✭
    Yep AF, you can take the boy out of the county but not the county out of the boy. It would be, er, unwise to think about degrading. I Know better.
  • Afternoon..last nightshift off the week over..havent read thread yet...200 are you running Teignbridege 10 on sunday?

What : 4-5 easy
    Why : sort of mini taper for sundays 10 mile race
    Last hard : wednesdays 8x800s at club
    Last rest :8 days
  • drewdrew ✭✭✭
    Afternoon all,

MikeS, that's quite a nasty incident. Certainly worthwhile suing him. Is your bike ok?

BR, I can sense the frustration you're currently experiencing; running is such an important part of your life.

Not going to tell you what to do, however I will state the obvious!

You are currently ranked 31st in the UK for your age group (1/2 marathon). That time was done at well below your best. You certainly deserve to be running with the elites.

You, and most people on this forum, know that you have the potential and the talent to be at or near the top. There is no doubting your commitment to do what is necessary to achieve your goals.

An injury free BR is a force to be reckoned with. There are numerous examples of runners who have been forced to take many months rest to allow an injury to heal properly. FLM is only one race. If you've got to defer, so be it.

Just imagine what sort of times could be doing in 6 months if you could fix your current ailment and run injury free thereafter.

Today's session:

What: 5 miles easy
    Why: racing tomorrow & Sunday, so thought I'd better take it easy.
    Last hard: Tuesday

• Afternoon to all

Not read back.

What: 3:15 miles done
    Why: cause it gets me to work and cause I can
    Last Hard: last nights bike
    last Rest: Wednesday

If shin continues to behave as it doing so right now I may have a little trot home again.
  • Scooby Snax: Posted: 22/03/07 21:50:38 PM
    "Will run to work tomorrow. Must NOT run home."

Now, now, Scooby...restraint, girl, restraint!!!

;)
  • WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    love it flyaway!
  • What: 8.2 Miles longer run.
    Why: Endurance.

Not quite long enough to count as a LSR, but longest run for a fortnight and increased the pace slightly.

BR - What is the deadline for deferring FLM? You have got up until that time to make a decision.

Have a good weekend all

Dave
  • You can defer up until 2 days before race.

Scooby- you are being watched;-)

Flyaway--- love it:-)
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • afternoon

chilling out at home

a few more bumps & bruises have emerged, but nothing serious.
    I was wearing a helmet btw - a fact which apparently was officially recorded when I went to the walk-in centre - that surprised me.

The bike is still at the premises outside where I had the accident - will collect tomorrow. It wasn't worth that much & may not be worth repairing - I was on the point of getting a hybrid to use to cycle to work anyway. The real damage, so far as I'm concerned, is the loss of what is currently my only source of aerobic exercise. Whether I can get a replacement in the time available to me tomorrow remains to be seen.

Phoned the solicitors just before to make a claim - the woman I spoke to seemed to be almost begging me to admit to symptoms of whiplash.

BR - golden spell in 2004, injury problems since, and currently struggling with a lower leg soft tissue injury - maybe we have more in common than I thought.

The injury is obviously significantly affecting your FLM preparation, and will continue to do so until it heals.

Even though you seem to have lightened up somewhat in recent months in terms of your attitude to training, only you know whether, in the light of your current problems, you can adjust your expectations as necessary for this, the biggest event in your racing calendar.
    If you don't think you can, drop out now. If you do think you can, you might still get something positive out of it all. But it could involve resigning yourself to, say, 2:48 at best. From what you've already said, and from what I know of you on here, I suspect you'd find even that very difficult to accept.
  • AF - Thanks for the correction. ;-) But I think 0.01p is all my advice is worth :-)

Stickless - from your post I think you should race all you can. None of us are getting any younger and if you don't do it now, when will you? Goes with all walks of life, not just running.

Does anyone know the difference between a fartlek and an interval session?

From what I've gathered a fartlek session can be at any pace whereas an interval session is at a specified pace for you. Also, a fartlek can be over bigger distances for the faster and slower sections whereas intervals are ciontrolled diastances (e.g 400m, half mile etc). I tried a fartlek today and after 5 mioles couldn't see the benefits so switched to a tempo run for the last 3? Have I missed something?
  • GMI: fartlek is not structured - so you run hard for different distances and paces pretty much as you feel, e.g. I'm going to run flat out between the next two lamposts.
    An interval session is structured, e.g. 10x800m @5k pace with 90secs recovery.
  • hi all

2.5 miles all done.

short route home to show flyaway I can exercise some restraint :0)

shin is ok, will monitor now to see what it thinks of that!

Did you all see me then? :0)

• Ah, thx AF. Although I wonder is it worth doing? If there is no structure then will it help?
    Surely a standard x min run for x miles is better for the body how to learn to run at that pace rather than how you feel?