Monday 16th April 2007

Comments

• Evening all

Minks - great to hear from you and to see you running too! Great pic, he is so sweet. :0)

Thanks for update on DF hipps. So sorry. Hope he is ok as so unfair that he is still having trouble.

DD - fantastic pics - thank you.

What: 2k and point something swim
    Why: checking out a 33m pool swim as Stratford is 33m and - well I just sort of kept going really
    Last Hard: swimming beside a walrus who was in the same lane today and surviving the tidal waves
    Last Rest: Friday

So 61 lengths with leaking goggles, a steamed up contact lense, blurry vision, and a broken watch, well it was my sons watch that I adopted when he was 10. He's 20 this year! So can't complain about that! Oh and a walrus.

But on the plus side I really enjoyed the swim, the grannies had all gone home and I now know I like a longer length pool. So happy with this.
  • There has been a university shooting here - not at my uni but another one in Virginia. 22 students dead and 27 injured. One gunman dead and they don't know if there is another one. It's so shocking.
  • Good grief IMel, what is the world coming too. Where abouts are you these days?
  • I'm in central Virginia, in a town called Farmville. The shooting was in Blacksburg, to the west of here, at a school called Virginia Tech.
  • IMel - that's awful, must be really unsettling when it happens relatively close to home.

Well, saw big consultant this afternoon - almost - actually saw one of his minions, who luckily runs and cycles and at one stage had to run off and consult his boss about what to do with me.

Anyway, the upshot is that I've ruptured one ligament and another one is super-stretched - so nothing that physio can't cure. what they are concerned about though is the crepitis, the inflamation after exercise, the pain and the impaired mobility - none of which are due to the ligament damage. The doc's view is that the problem is either a lesion on the talus(?) and/or lots of scar tissue and other debris floating around. Whilst they don't operate on minor scar tissue, there comes a tipping point where they do. So I'm now booked in for an MRI scan and when they see what the problem is, they'll decide what to do - but they are confident that I can be cured, they just have to find out exactly what the problem is. In the meantime I have been ordered to spend lots of time on the wobble board!

Then did 29.5 miles - hilly - on the bike. While I didn't see a walrus I saw lambs, inc. some Jacob sheep lambs - cute! - two yellowhammers, two baby bunnies (living out their last days by the A60), and a dead rat on the university campus. Stuggled a bit to maintain pace at the end - think yesterday's battering is still in my legs!
  • DD...great run...hat off to you!

What: 6.5 easy
    Why: FLM taper

Last Hard:10 days
    Last Rest: Saturday...went for a great 9 mile walk in the Peak Park.
  • Mel- that is terrible news:-(

DD- It will come right

Simon_It will come right and 50 miles is not to be sneezed at..take care

Lyrics were as lots had guessed Handbags and Gladrags by Sterophonics...i did chose an easy one as rushed for time and a favorite of mine:-)
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Ooh the post went wrong

DD- I did say well done on your epic race a great race report.
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • RFJRFJ ✭✭✭
    Greetings all,

Quick dive in and out, apologies have not read back.

Got in at 7:30 after being on course all day...

1m warm up, 2m fast, 1m warm down, (On course all day couldnt / didnt have the concertration for 8 x 400m so did the 2m fast instead)

Now to go off and doo course work ready for tomorrow....

Take care
  • nrg-bnrg-b ✭✭✭
    Nice to read posts from returning forumites. You wait for ages and just like buses, three turn up at once. ;-)

Scoobs: Glad to have you back. Good job you were all in group and could provide aid to your friend. I haven't forgotten the email I owe you. You should read clink's and MikeS' race reports in the meantime.

Clink: Well done on yesterday's run. I like the way that you outperformed your rival downhill by running relaxed.

MikeS: dealt with the downhills by just letting myself fall down them more or less - surprising how much ground you make up on others in this way - and it didn't stress the calves And to think that most people would consider running downhill as very heavy on the calfs due to eccentric usage. You know why you achieved this. Well done, mate!

DD: Well done on Two Oceans. Those pictures are fab and make me very inspired.

Minks (Bus No. 25) : Good to hear from you. Kit looks like a very cute. He must be quite active given that there is a big hand holding him down ;-)))

Sportaloo (Bus No. 123): Hope you get yourself sorted soon. Good luck with the comeback.

Imski: How about a sports massage on calf?

SiT (Bus No 366): Chin up mate, you're running more then me! Just go with the flow. You can't place deadlines on injury recovery or comeback.

IronMel: How very tragic and sad.

Rotterdam: I've only done three maras FLM05, Cardiff and Rotterdam. I would rate Rotterdam easily the best overall - easy to get to (from LCY), great hotels near the start/finish, fantastic organisation for the entire few days, space to run, chip-timing, excellent atmosphere for the entire route, very flat ie the biggest hill is up and down Erasmus Bridge (ie 20metres). Downside is that the route is not scenic at all. Given the exceptional circumstances yesterday, if I were struggling then in hindsight I would be glad they stopped it rather then allow my own self-determination to put me into an unpleasant situation.

What: 30mins easy
    Why: Recovery
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Clink.. well done, an excellent result for you.

DD.. fab report and a great achievement. Roll on Comrades.

Minks.. nice to hear you are back running. Just be patient and the speed will come back. It took my clubmate a few months to get back to her old weight/shape after the birth. Oh, and from memory doing FLM from this thread.. BR, Scobos, Podro, TMR, AF, Tigerrunner, Blisters, Desert Man, MTB, Hipps, Wabo, Gobi, Rundown, Vrap & my good self. Sorry if I have missed anyone!

Sportaloo.. so sorry to hear about your injury woes, a swift recovery to you.

Lizzie.. well raced yesterday, gutsy stuff. Not sure if your analysis is good news or bad news but at least you are getting to the bottom of it, good luck.

SIT.. no wonder you are brassed off, I hope things improve for you.

Today's taper.. 10+15m on the bike. Fancied doing something to raise the HR a bit without impacting the old legs.

• MinksMinks ✭✭✭
    Mel, that's dreadful. I hope everything's OK where you are.

SiT, sorry to hear the injury woes continue. It must be so frustrating. I know how stir-crazy I've been through being unable to run properly these past several months - but at least I had something positive to look forward to at the end of it.

NRG-B - the big hand is supporting his head so he doesn't drown in his bath ;-) He IS extremely cute. Strangers keep stopping me in the street and supermarket and remarking on what a gorgeous baby he is. Am still slightly in shock that he was so big at birth though - which completely blows out of the water the theory that women who insist on exercising at a high level during pregnancy have low-birthweight babies!

Who is doing FLM on Sunday? It sounds as though BR is - good luck and hope it's a good race for you. Is Hilly doing it too?

AF, I haven't deferred to 2008 - I didn't enter for this year's FLM. My Good for Age from 2006 should allow me to enter for 2008 - then if I'm not at the required level by then I can presumably defer to 2009.
  • Good to see you back Minks - neat pic - think healthy Mums have healthy babies. Enjoy your time out running.

Sporta - what about cycling - Fell Liker seems to be enjoying it - it could help with your frustation and give your legs time to get really healed - you could keep your wife company on her Comrades training.

IMelissa - awful news.

Lizzy - big decisions to make.

TMR - thanks - I did find the web-site but couldn't see this year's results. My friend dropped out - was very sick and I'm sure the heat didn't help.

Been up and down all night, checking Boston results as had a couple of friends running that too.
  • Evening,

DD: Great report, fantastic run and a good result.

Clink: great report - a well deserved result. 2nd interview is this Thursday.

MikeS: Well run for the team.

Managed 1.5 hours steady plodding tonight.
    Rested yesterday and will probably rest tomorow.

All you FLMer's take extra care - only 6 days to go.
  • Clink, Lizzy, DD and MikeS - well raced all of you - super efforts in different ways.

SiT - thanks. I hope your patience is equally rewarded.

Minks - no hilly has missed too much training since January and is targeting the White Peak Marathon instead.

AF / Rundown / nrg-b / anyone else - did we have a meeting time for Thursday? Was it 11am by the Pasta stand (I refuse to call it a pasta party as you don't get a paper hat and a goody bag for your £5!!)

• popsiderpopsider ✭✭✭
    Minks - lovely baby pic
    Lizzy - not sure if that sounds good or bad either, if they clear out the debris will they do anything for the ligaments? Hope they can sort it all out but I know you are the sort that wont let it stop you anyway.
    Rotterdam - I suppose they did what they had to do, I'd be very frustrated but there probably does come a time when you have to put safety first. I remember a few years back there was a spring half in the UK (think it's a very popular one somewhere near Manchester) and lots of people collapsed - it wasn't all that hot but it was such a change in conditions from the preceding months that the effect was all the more.

What - Waiting for my partner to return from pilates so I can go out for a spin on the bike - quads seem very sore, been getting this of late, not sure why but maybe I should get them massaged.
  • Evening everyone, the thread's looking as healthy as that fine baby in the pics (if I wasn't such a big, tough bloke, I'd be getting clucky)! Good to see so many old forunites (sic) back!

I ran again tonight after my staggering mileage last week of 12.5M! Honestly, after the 31M on the bike yesterday and possibly getting dehydrated, coupled with the new start back at work this morning, I felt like I'd never run before!

It's been a long time since I felt like turning round and going home when running but tonight I could cheerfully have stopped. I felt like I'd got a suit of armour and was averaging about 9min miling (3.6M in 32mins). My legs were protesting but again, interestingly, my CV fitness was quite good.

I'm still finding it hard to get my head around running again and can't seem to get past the feeling that I should run when the world looks more interesting when I'm speeding along on a bike. I'm intending to go to running club tomorrow as maybe this will be the push I need to get me back into the running game again.

Sportaloo and Minks, I totally empathise with you! I don't think I'm totally injury-free, but if this latest return doesn't turn me around thenI might do what Martin/Stifler did and turn my attentions to biking more seriously and/or jazz!
  • nrg-bnrg-b ✭✭✭
    Minks: I loved bathtimes when my kids where babies. Loads of fun :-)

BR: I don't think I'll be able to come to the expo due to work :-(

Hilly: If you're not running then will you be doing the FLM Supporters' Fun Run - like the one BR did last year? :)

• popsiderpopsider ✭✭✭
    Fell Biker - what kind of bike are you using, mountain bike or have you got a road bike too ? You should try one of these sportive rides - I think you'd enjoy it.

I didn't know Stifler had got into cycling - does he race at all - be interesting to see how his talent transferred if he is.
  • Gorgeous baby Minks! What a lovely photo.

I'll pass along the sympathies to my students: everyone knows someone at Virginia Tech and the phone lines have been frantic all day with people trying to get through. Many of our classes were cancelled since so many people were absent trying to trace friends. The one person I know there is safe, thank heavens. The count hasn't changed, but four of the injured people are on the critical list, so anyone who prays, please think of them. It's a hard time here, and every bit helps.
  • Popsider - I've got an MTB but am toying with the idea of getting a road bike; it depends on how I get on with this running lark!

Stifler didn't get into biking, that's just me. It's biking and/or jazz trumpeting again!
  • mel - i've been listening to this here on the news this morning. i didn't realise thats where you were. i'm glad your friend is ok. while i'm not much of a one for prayer my thoughts are with the families of those who didn't make it and those fighting for their lives today.
  • being a numpty , I have scrolled back to look for Minks pics--doh!

he is lovley
  • debbodebbo ✭✭✭
    Melissa when I read about the shooting this afternoon I thought of you, but luckily they had a map of Virginia and I reckoned you were in Richmond so were safe. My thoughts are with you though - and of course with those who are more directly affected.
  • Thanks guys.

The biggest fear at the moment for those of us not directly affected by bereavement is that there will be a copy cat event. It has happened in the past. I just can't imagine for what problem shooting a bunch of people would be a potential solution??
  • crikey

its just incomprehensible
  • Well a mixed bag awaiting feedback here.

Minks: Lovely to hear from you, and don't despair about losing fitness. It doesn't work like that. You've built the muscle, it is just dormant. I'd guess that you could be back to full form in 6-8 weeks. Apart from minor intrusions into your life. (He does look cute though).

IM> mass shootings, eek. Now that's terrifying.

Simon, my adductor problems took ages to dissipate, months rather than weeks. I still think that it's the first muscle from that group that wants to strain. BRs the same I think. I hope that yours isn't too bad.

Lizzy: You too on the damage front. Hope you can be fixed properly.

So Boston was a disaster from the gales and rain, Rotterdam was halted, Cardiff and Abingdon have been cancelled from the autumn schedule. Where are we going to go in autumn? Could this be the year for Snowdonia? Jungfrau (one for MtB, I think), La Rochelle? Medoc? Hmm, I fancy Medoc. Check it out.

Anyway.
    8.3 miles, feeling as though one leg was fit, but worrying about the other. 10 minutes in the cold bath afterwards. They are getting easier now.

When do we start to carbo load, or as I prefer to call it, to pig out?

• Blisters

Leicester
    this year he is flat