Mind Games - Any Good Ones?!

With the count-down clock ticking ominously on the FLM website, the thought of getting round 26.2 miles is popping up rather a lot!!

Now we've all reached the stage of not being able to do too much physiologically to get us ready for the task, perhaps we can concentrate now on the mental side of things!

I once heard a good idea for keeping you going over the marathon - that you should think of one amazing person in your life for each mile, and run each mile for them, whilst thinking about how much you love them/how proud they'll be of you etc.

Has anyone else got any good ideas like that? I think it would be interesting to start a thread so that everyone can share these things, as we all know, you can have the best stamina in the world, but if you're not switched on mentally, it ain't gonna happen!! :o)

Good luck everyone, so scared but excited!!

Comments

• Try memorizing a sudoku grid and solving it in your head ;)
  • The marathon is about being in contention over the last 6.2 miles. That's when it is about what you have in your core. You have in 20 miles run all the strength, all the superficial fitness out of yourself, and it really comes down to what is left inside YOU. To be able to draw deep and pull something out of yourself is one of the tremendous things about the marathon"
    -Rob de Castella

Finishing a marathon is a tremendous feeling because you have worked so hard and for so long to get to that point.
  • try times tables and counting backwards from 500 in 2's and then 3's
  • X-KKDX-KKD ✭✭✭
    I've set myself really small targets to meet.
    3 miles - where the colours merge
    6 miles - thats me done my usual 10K
    9 miles - my family posse will be there
    11 miles - snog from Nicko ;-)
    13 miles - thats me half way
    16 miles - only 10 to go
    17 miles - RW Support group & banana
    20 miles - usual 10k to go
    22 miles - my family posse again
    24 miles - still to find one
    25 miles - Mick'n'Phil "Easy Easy Easy" chant
    26 miles - homeward bound!!!

• hi KKD i like your acheivable targets

I've set myself really small targets to meet.
    3 miles - where the colours merge
    6 miles - thats me done my usual 10K
    9 miles - my family posse will be there
    11 miles - snog from Nicko ;-)
    13 miles - thats me half way
    16 miles - only 10 to go
    17 miles - RW Support group & banana
    20 miles - usual 10k to go
    22 miles - my family posse again
    24 miles - still to find one
    25 miles - Mick'n'Phil "Easy Easy Easy" chant
    26 miles - homeward bound!!!

who is nicko ??
    i'm still planning where family posse will be
    - in 6 marathons to date i have failed to run all way
    -THIS year will be different- thats my plan anyway, thats one of my many goals & mindgame
    - i will take MP3 player for 1st time in mara BUT ONLY to use when absoutely shattered 18mile +
    - i have got my T shirt & vist printed with ROB in big letters - in cardiff 1/2 i found the upward wave to the crowd helps them encourage you !
    -i'm thinking of printing up cards for me name to use after mile RW support group
    i CAN run 8 miles
    i CAN run 7 miles etc

-really looking fwd to Runners world support group
    -really looking fwd to Mick n PHIL

MORE MIND GAMES are needed for miles 18 to 20
    come on folks
  • X-KKDX-KKD ✭✭✭
    lol, Nicko is a forumite who will be at mile 11.

There's a thread about it. I'll go and boing it for you.

Yes, something more is needed for miles 18 to 20. You'll run it all this year Rob, definately!
  • Tim of MKTim of MK ✭✭✭

Just go do it! Simple as that. Failure is not an option.
  • YorkieYorkie ✭✭✭
    Not yet done a marathon, but one of my methods is to calculate how far I've gone as a fraction as I'm going along. Only really works if you know how far you've done right along the way rather than only at the mile boards. For instance, on an 8 miler, 2 miles would be a quarter, 2.2 miles would be 11/40, 2.5 miles would be 5/16. Even better with a less divisible number so it takes more time to calculate. Yes, I'm a maths nerd, I know.
  • also thoughts of the post marathon guiness
  • I liked one I heard of a few miles back: a big notice at 20 miles that said:

'Chardonnay and chips 6M'
  • guiness and cream egg ice cream and chips 6 miles - must write that down
  • I just know that, after the Easter hols with my 5-year-old, if I get into countdowns for the last few miles, I'll end up going:

'6 - 5 - 4 - 3 - 2 - 1 - 0 The Numberjacks are on their way!'

Too much CBeebies! Probably means nothing if you're not around kids much. But those theme tunes get stuck in your head, and I suppose it will make me think of my boy, which will be a big encouragement.
  • numberjack ? no
    my kids are 21 & 18 !! twas rosie & jim 7 fireman sam
    i will try and think of family in last 6 miles - writing names in biro on my arm will help
  • X-KKDX-KKD ✭✭✭
    lol Corredor, I usually make myself sing two chorus and a verse of There once was an Ugly Duckling, before I can stop. It usually gets me over the urge to stop!! Hence the avatar!! :-D

(That song just popped into my head one day and it keeps in time to my cadence!)
  • what I do is look ahead on the horizon and pick a spot(Like a big tree or farmhouse)Then I visualise myself(in my bright yellow+black vest)with a big smile effortly passing that spot,then when I do pass that big tree that was half a mile away I then bunny hop to my next marker.I do like to repeat the odd song(and you run and you run to catch up with sun)Positivity is the best policy.
  • I'm going to re-read all the messages people have left me on my justgiving site the night before and commit a few of them to memory to spur me on. Also have had no alcohol for 4 months so visualing that glass of extremely-well-earned champagne at the end I think will help(as well as creme eggs, marmite+cheese sandwiches and absolutely anything else I feel like seeing as it will have never been so deserved)

I really like the idea of the signs at mile 20, that's fantastic, might make one of my supporters stand there and do just that, great tip :D

"MARMITE & CHEESE, CREME EGGS + CHAMPAGNE - 6 MILES"

I've 'sung' favourite uplifting songs that I know all the words to in my head before to keep my legs moving to a pace before, that can work!

Also, I imagine myself excitedly telling all my friends and family about it afterwards (for the rest of my life!) What sounds better - "I got round but had to walk a few times" or "Yep, I ran ALL the way!!"? I know what I want to be saying...........

Visualising the finish line?

Positive thoughts everybody, WE CAN ALL DO IT, yes we can!!!
  • Wrexham Rob, you are a big softy!
  • SlugstaSlugsta ✭✭✭
    Someone sent this to me as I was preparing for FLM last year and I found it helpful -

I will start
    When the gun goes off.
    I will run
    For five miles
    Feeling good.
    I will run
    To the tenth mile.
    I will say
    “Only three more
    to the halfway.”
    At the halfway mark
    13.1 miles,
    I will know
    Fifteen is within reach.
    At fifteen miles
    I will say
    “I’ve run twenty before,
    Keep going”
    At twenty
    I will say
    “Run home.”

Good luck!

• I will start
    When the gun goes off.
    I will run
    For five miles
    Feeling good.
    I will run
    To the tenth mile.
    I will say
    “Only three more
    to the halfway.”
    At the halfway mark
    13.1 miles,
    I will know
    Fifteen is within reach.
    At fifteen miles
    I will say
    “I’ve run twenty before,
    Keep going”
    At twenty
    I will say
    “Run home.”

yep i like that
    - dont think i'll start when gun goes, maybe start to shuffle,
    -softy moi?-perhaps -my wife has 'put up with me' running & thinking of FLM for months , & put up with me for >25yrs,
    - also will try and dedicate run to those who cannot, friend with rheumatoid arthritis, friend with parkinsons/ME, those who just cant
    -oh and i want to RUN it all this time
    -and i want to RUN past Mick n Phil at mile 25 singing easy easy easy
    -mind games ... hmmmm
    - Guiness 6 miles ( & a bit more) ahead
    - i can bore all friends spnsors work colleagues for the next 3 weeks ... tales of marathon etc MORE PLEASE
  • Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭
    Try reciting

There were 10 in the bed and the little one said ...

Then you can recite

Ten green bottles ...
  • 1,000,000 green bottles?
  • if u hit the wall think of every meany who has ever upset you under each foot step - amazing the difference it makes : )

squish those heads !