Race Prizes

There might have been a thread about this before but, anyway... I was wondering what people think about race prizes, goody bags, etc.? Would people prefer not to bother with the t-shirt and pay less?

Which races have had the best stuff?

Ed McMonagle.

Comments

• You're right - this has been done several times (at least) before.

Personnally, I like 'useful' stuff - I've had commemorative glasses, mugs, a shoe bag, drinks bottles and a bunch of slate coasters in among the usual array of medals and T-shirts of varying quality. I've also been to good races (always cheaper) where we've been awarded nothing except something to eat and drink at the finish which was probably more appreciated at the time.

Just an observation - the last two races I did had T-shirts available to buy. One race, Dentdale, was very cheap with no momento thrown in (we did get a free packed lunch of sandwiches and cake) while the other, Coniston 14, gave us a slate coaster. Both were really good, well organised, events. Despite that, there were several people after both races complaining that they had to pay extra for the shirt.

You'll never please everybody.
  • limperlimper ✭✭✭
    Personally I like a medal. With the race name on the ribbon.

Maybe pre-ordering and pre-paying for a T shirt [in the correct size!!], the way you can in R4L is the way to go. That way the organisers aren't lumbered with excess stock and you only pay for the extras you want over and above entry fee.
  • Ive had all sorts, though mainly tshirts. I've also had, hats and gloves, mugs, a towel, etc All of which I use. At North Tyneside tenk on Easter Sunday I got- asics tech tee, reebok water bottle, cap,and two sis energy bars. On Saturday I got a specially labelled bottle of beer 9which I have drank and kept the bottle). I also love to look at my medals (possibly some smutty innuendo here). Basically I like all my mementoes, though I agree that there does seem to be an excess of t shirts in my collection, and some are better and get more use than others.

In short, I think it's important to get a race memento. Ive done loads of races but they all mean something, however large or small or whatever the distance.
  • I've only ran two races so far and got a medal for the first one and an easter egg for the second as it was just for fun.

Personally I see a medal as more of a sign you've completed the race/event than say a souvenir t-shirt. Things like medals and trophies are more simnoninous (sp?) with winning something and it's far more satisfying to show off a shiny medal at the end of the day in my opinion.
  • SeelaSeela ✭✭✭
    Yeah, but you can really pose in a FLM t-shirt, but you look like a bit of a dick wearing the medal all the time. Now which one of the 7 t-shirts shall I wear today?
  • when you've been running for years and years like me, yet another finisher medal is just one more to shove in the cupboard with all the rest, unless it's a very special one that deserves to be displayed. best finisher prizes I've had in recent years were a bike computer and a bottle of wine with the race logo on.