Northumberland Coastal Run

Entered this one today. Looks a good run. Anyone else on for this ?

Comments

• swittleswittle ✭✭✭
    It's a cracking run - I ran it several times in the early '90s. Where did you see the entry form, Mr Day?
  • Every year i look at this run and think yes - i must do it.

Apparently it goes from Beadnell to Alnmouth (approximately 14 Miles)along the beatiful Northumberland coastal path, which is meant to be an area of outstandiung natural beauty.

It's just a long way from Manchester without a stop over. Maybe this is the year.

• K9K9 ✭✭✭
    I'll do it if I'm not working :o)
  • Stoxy

Is this you home territory ?
  • Right then, that's my entry form downloaded, printed and filled in.
    Done this a number of times and its always a great event.
  • Okay how difficult is this, I am a relative newcomer to this game but did Edinburgh marathon and a couple of halfs. Is there a track most the way or do I need snorkles and flippers?
  • cd-yes my dad was from morpeth and I have family in Amble, Alnwick etc.

Colin-apparently it is quite hard as it is multi-terrain, but should be treated more as an event and a bit of a laugh than a race. So more of a high speed ramble as cd would say!!

A few days before my birthday so am overcoming this crisis by running slightly further than Im used to.
  • Doing my first half in Leeds in a couple of weeks (aiming for 2hrs 15). Thinking I need something else to make sure me and my running partner don't end up sitting on the couch... would this be it? Or will we get trampled in the rush of serious competitors?
  • I ran this one a couple of years ago and probably will do it again this year. Very nice event with some great scenery. It is multi-terrain with some parts along the beach and a few hilly bits but I wouldn't say it was overly difficult. Also as its a non-standard distance (14 miles-ish) first-timers are almost guaranteed a PB!!
  • Shirley-Im doing Leeds half too. Aiming for about 2:15 too, but had a bad knee and stuff so maybe not!!! I dont think there will be a rush of serious competitors. From what I hear its an event for the scenery and the laugh!!!

• Thanks people (I was Shirley, but really i'm Whirley), that's good to know. I've forwarded details to Nikki the runner Ibbo and you may well see us there on the day.

ps - don't you get bad blisteryness if your feet get really wet?
  • More blisters-ooh lovely.

Just been trying to book accomoddation for the Saturday night and non-one seems towant to take bookings for one night. Excellent.Any ideas???

I can stay with family but Im going up with my mates from my club so its a bit cr@p to leave them to pay for rooms when I asked them to join me!!!!!!!
  • Oook!Oook! ✭✭✭
    I've done the Phoenix 14 (as it used to be called) 17 times - still my all time favourite race. Approx. an equal split ; road, trail and beach through some quite remote places.

Usually very hot and oddly no set route - as a marshal said to me "Just keep the sea on your left" so, as you are running south, you tend to only get suntanned down the left hand side.Lots of natural obstacles ; deep tidal pools or soft sand dunes )depending on the tide) large boulders, slippy rocks, barbed wire fences and groynes at the finish - especially if you get lost which is possible, if you lose sight of the runner in front.

Cracking run, it's the only race I've done where people stop to take photographs of the scenery BUT the time of high water is crucial. If the tides in, you can't cut corners and you run nearer 15 miles; if the tides out, miles of beautiful firm wet sand. The 1997 race corresponded with high water and I ran the first and last mile in knee deep seawater.

So wear your old shoes, don't try to break any records and plan to get burned.

See you in the Red Lion Beer Garden afterwards
  • Aye well still not convinced tide is out that day though so...
    Good pubs in Alnmouth might go there instead!!!!!
  • Oook!Oook! ✭✭✭
    I remember one demented soul actually swimming across the bay rather than run around the beach, probably in Denmark by now
  • Oh my word! Having just read some of the comments, I'm not sure that I want to do this now!

I have been out of the forums and running for quite a while now due to one reason and another but hopefully will soon(Hmmm.....?!) get back into the swing of things!

It's hard work but I think I am progressing! The last race I did was the GNR in Sept 05! Frightening really! I have entered the Liverpool 10km Tunnel Race in early June as a tester!

Anyhow, I have booked my accommodation and will be up there for the run. Just hope I complete it! Is a compass advised?! And what about shoes? By the sounds of things I should invest in some trail shoes as opposed to my Asics 1100 series that I swear by or isn't it this bad?

Regards

• Oook!Oook! ✭✭✭
    Road shoes are OK but they are likely to get wet and covered in all sorts of interesting biological substances.Often the dye runs into your socks too.

Just remember it isn't a road HM so take your time and ENJOY

• Goodness only knows I'm only here for the beer!
    Is the excitement of not knowing this race??? and itsterrain not challenging enough yes just how difficult is it???
  • Ah, well, at least the 'other half' 'll be happy! She thought I might have to invest in some more suitable shoes!!

I am also looking forward to the beer! Just so long as I finish the run in one piece!

Might just put my Chris Brasher boots on and 'ramble' round the course instead!
  • can anyone recommend hotels/B&B's in this area?
  • Oook!Oook! ✭✭✭
    CC2

Pretty flat, no serious climbs just interesting surfaces - tarmac, trail, grass and sand
  • Moolarb- Ive been trying to book accommodation in the area but they dont take single night bookings Im afraid.
  • I've registered through the online system for a couple of runs now - the Northumberland, Humber and Dunfermline halfs - got the bug ater doing the London marathon for first time! No idea what the next steps are though. Can I presume to get running numbers through the post? Any ideas? Help!
  • This is a fantastic race - I do it every year. If you're looking for a place to stay, try the Saddle Hotel in Alnmouth. (I can tell you that because I've already booked!). The other important thing there is that you can nab a prime parking space the night before, and then you don't have to struggle on the Sunday morning!

The hotel is a small, family-run business with a very good grill bar attached - I had a really good steak the night before last year.

The key things in this race are the wind direction and the tide. The tide is predicted to be low this year, which means the race will be much easier than if it's high.

Because the race is point-to-point, the wind direction is important. Last year it was a headwind all the way, and times were generally 4-7 minutes slower than the year before. However, as someone said - it's not a road half-marathon, so time comparisons are meaningless anyway.

I would recommend this race to anyone.

Cheers,
    Mark.
  • swittleswittle ✭✭✭
    moolarb, stoxy - there is or used to be a cosy B & B called the Copper Beach in Northumberland Street, Alnmouth's main street. A Mr & Mrs Hall ran it when I stayed there overnight in 2000. If you e-mail me on whittls AT hotmail DOT com, I'll give you the 'phone number.
  • Oook!Oook! ✭✭✭
    Sideshow

Our paths may have crossed before ;.] You're not one of those HBT nutters with the crap coloured vest?

True - it most definitely NOT a road HM and the course should be treated with respect.

It is the "Not the GNR" - no media, no celebs, no teddy bears; just a superb (if sapping) course
  • lovin' it already what's marshalling like????