2008 in training already

Having done 4 FLM's already and working in a running store, i have really missed not being part of the 2007 event.
So i'm planning for 2008 already. Training program starts tonight. sub 3 target for a type 1 diabetic.

Good luck to all the 2007ers
sorry to all those who have had to pull out this year, but get ready for 2008.

Comments

• Hope it goes well, Jethro :o)

I started my training for 2008 yesterday by doing a 9-miler instead of a 6-miler. The 6 miles were for 2007. The other three miles were a deposit towards 2008.
  • Velo...long time to speaky.
    hope all is well
  • jethro
    good luck with 2008 FLM, i'm also doing a 12 month training plan due to defering through injury. Did 2006 in 4hr 16 mins, so hoping to beat 4hr in 2008. Did 6.5 miles in 57mins last night (very knackered at the end!)so hopefully on target if i can stay uninjured?

velo

if you have any more spare miles, can i borrow them please,... promise i'll give them back when i'm fitter!
  • ......here we go then, 4 hr target, 12 month training plan anyone? Is it best for the body to slowly increase mileage now or just stick to 6-7 mile runs until start of training plans?
  • I will be with you when I get my foot sorted. Sub 4.30 would be good for me.
  • I'll be there. Sub 3.45 for a GFA time - will be quite a jump from this year's 4.44, but I know I could've run 4.15 if it hadn't been for the heat, I felt ropey coming through mile 13 in 2.07 and that is a good 16 min slower than my HM PB. Will do a mara in October for a test run :)
  • I also have a deferred place for 2008. Got injury back in Feb, but now back running reasonably well. Planned a few 10k's and halfs this year, starting with Poole and Worthing in June.

London 2008 target? Sub 4 (he said hopefully!)
  • A sort of related question.... If you've just run the 2007 FLM, does that get you front of the queue or automatic application to the 2008 flm... or are you back to ballot / charity places again...?
  • 2007 was my first (slightly injured and under prepared), want to run in 2008...as asked already above...what is the best prep - 6-8 mile runs until a 16 week training programme, or gradual increases over 12 months ? (aiming for 4.00 - 4.30)
  • ...anyone up for 2008 ? I know it's early...after training tips here.
  • I'm with you,runtyler. I have a deferred place for next year. I'll be taking it steady until the Autumn, then may start a 16 week schedule a couple of months early. That will allow for any minor injury breaks, or (more hopefully!)duplicate the middle of the schedule a bit.
  • I'm training for a 2008 spring marathon, but after this year's experience if I get into FLM I'll jog round enjoying the craic and race somewhere else.

33 miles since FLM :o)
  • I'm guarranteed a place after 5 rejections. Plan to start training in the Autumn for a long slow build-up. Currently injured from building up the mileage too quick so having to run/walk Prague marathon in a couple of weeks. Don't plan to make the same mistake twice so any tips welcome. I thought about having a rest and time to recover from a minor ITB strain, then keeping 10 mile fit before the Bristol HM in Sept and building up from there. I like the idea of hovering around the 13/15 mile mark for quite a while before pushing up to 16, 17, 18 then 20, but wonder if this is wise? I'm very slow so a long run really takes over my whole day (aiming for about 5:30). Any other slow plodders out there planning 2008?
  • I've also started my training for flm 2008. I did 2006, but thought with the family and what a big commitment it is I would support friends in 2007 and enjoy the experience of being a spectator. Enjoy it I did, with not enjoying running in the heat I felt I was on the right side of the barrier!

It has left me all raring to go for 2008 though. I started a FIRST three times a week training programme last month, to try and beat my pb at Tewkesbury half next month, and get my pace up to, hopefully, thrash my pb of 4.59 from 2006.
  • got an expected 8 week lay-off due to MTSS (shin splints) injury. Although I'm going to a sports injury place tomorrow - I just wondered if anyone had any ideas about how long these thing take to clear up ? and what I can do to maintain somekind of fitness ?...