Snowdonia Marathon

Comments

• mr fmr f ✭✭✭
    ANyone know anymore about the post race party? I heard it mentioned, but just wanted a bit more clarification before I choose to book the hotel for 1 or 2 nights. I want to get the booking made early as I struggled last year.

Just found out that Abingdon is cancelled the week before this one, so my legs wont be in that bad a condition for the start now! :)
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Mister Plod - there's always Dartmoor Vale marathon on the 21st if you still want to prepare those legs ready for Snowdonia
  • mr fmr f ✭✭✭
    Sounds like an awful lot of driving for me to get to dartmoor shades. Are you doin it yourself?
  • i have the application form for snowdonia but dartmoor would be a lot closer for me(can you get entry forms for dartmoor yet?) has anyone done dartmoor?is it as hard and hilly as snowdonia?i havent done either,but they both sound great!!!
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Mister Plod - Dartmoor Vale is only a one mile drive from my home! And I have to support my local marathon, don't I?

taffyduck - Dartmoor Vale is not run over Dartmoor but 2 laps of mostly rural roads from Newton Abbot, not hilly, undulating course and not really scenic. Haven't seen any entry forms yet but there is RW online entry. Also 10k & half marathon.
    There is no contest Snowdonia is a stunning marathon course.
  • mr fmr f ✭✭✭
    Taffy, ive neve done dartmoor but i suggest doing snowdon! its usually quite a drive for most people, but read the RW reviews from other people that have done it and Im sure you'll agree!

Shades, I think I might be joining the merry band of other abingdon entrants at leicester on 10th October. Slightly closed to me that dartmoor so less weary legged driving afterwards!
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Mister Plod - yes I'm doing Leicester too, pity about the course change, I loved the old Leicester course.

fr - I've never done Cape Wrath, is it off road?
  • mr fmr f ✭✭✭
    I take it the course has changed from when it used to start at the Caterpillar HQ then? I did the half a few times, but have not done a full at leicester before. There is also Wolverhampton to consider as another local one for me in the run up to Snowdon.

Spoilt for choice, although the scenery in leicester and wolverhampton is somewhat different to Llanberis!

Entry gone yet taffy?!
  • I did the Snowdonia last year and it is a fantastic race. The hill doen from Waenfawr to Llanberis is a bit of a killer on the legs though! I also live close to Snowdonia so if anyone wants course info I can help. I have cycled the route loads of times in my youth. Hopefully will be doing the race again this year running for the Eryri (the Welsh name for Snowdonia) Harriers this time so I better do well :)
  • I'll be taking a drive out there within the next couple of weeks so I can see what I have let myself in for my first marathon.

I am sure of the route apart from the last bit when it appears to go off the main road!

Any help would be appreciated.

I use the realbuz Flora London Marathon run route planner and have searched to see if the marathon route is there, but can't see it. If anyone knows where I can find a map of the final bit of the route, it'd be appreciated.

D
  • Damian, you not allowed to drive the offroad section over Waenfawr. You maybe able park half way up the hill, just enough room for one car though. I would say it is best to park in Waenfawr and then "experience" the whole hill/offroad section into Llanberis, or probably better still park in Llanberis and walk it backwards. It is a good idea though to recce how steep the downhill bit into Llanberis is it hurt my legs!
  • Well they've taken the payment... I guess this is it now..

dpryce - I think I've just clicked where the downhill is... does this turn into a tarmac road about half way down with a tea shop on the right (as you come off?) or am I thinking of another track?
  • Nah ignore me just checked on the OS map - I'm thinking of the track that follows the train. Similar sort of gradient though so I've got an idea now.

Time to start running down some hills me thinks! :)
  • hi Toomuch yes if they have taken the money you got to run ;) Lets hope its great weather again it was last year. See you at the start perhaps, i will be the small guy in green!
  • Uh oh! I'll be the one crawling in at the end..

Yes I'm definitely praying for the weather - have been stuck on that mountain in some horrendous weather before now!

Which brings me to a rather good point - what on earth to wear?
  • Damian - try a local OS map of the area or multimap.com shows all the roads and footpaths. If you get the route from the marathon site, you can pretty easily follow the whole route, including the last leg. You will also get an idea of the gradient from the contours. :)
  • mr fmr f ✭✭✭
    Best of luck in FLM Toomuch.

I remember reading the write up on Snowdon in RW November issue....... I think that it says that there is more uphill running in the first 4 miles of Snowdon (before you have even turned the first the corner) than in the whole 26.2m of London!

Theres one for you to ponder as you trawl around the crowded street of the capital!
  • Erm - not actually doing the FLM - might watch it on telly with a cup of tea after my LSR on Sunday.

Sorry to disappoint, but not sure where that's from!
  • Havent sent off entry form yet,still torn between dartmoor and snowdonia?!!!Oh what shall i do????Just so worried about snowdonia as its hard and hilly although a beautiful course, like you said mister plod you cant compare with FLM with all those crowds and running with that mass of people and no scenic route!!!! got to make mind up soon .Is there a limited entry number for snowdonia?
  • John BachJohn Bach ✭✭✭
    S'mae dpryce,
    I've entered the race this year - though was torn between it and the Anglesey one!would agree with what you were saying about recce'ing the Waunfawr section. I ran up the Llanberis pass on Thursday and I'm hoping to run through Beddgelert on Monday - I'm lucky in living/working in/around the Snowdonia area!
  • S'mae i chi hefyd John :) I've just entered online now too was going to leave it a bit longer ie until after the Anglesey marathon to see how my legs were, but what the heck i managed them both last year ha ha. It was a lovely day Thursday hope it is on Monday too have a great run!

taffyduck Yes there is a 1500 limit and it was reached last year.
  • John Bach By the way are you the same John who contacted me about the Colwyn Bay AC on Fetcheveryone? If you didnt join them you should think about the Eryri harriers they run every Thursday from Llanberis, mostly offroad though as i understand.
  • John BachJohn Bach ✭✭✭
    That's me dpryce - thanks for the info, but with family commitments and our rural location I still think it's going to be a year or two before I join a club. I would have liked to have done Anglesey, but it is the week after our village race (the hilly 12.5km Ras Fawr Llanddoged) and I told my wife that I would only do one marathon this year!
  • Hi John good idea keeps the peace ;) piece of your legs intact that is! I might try and do the Ras Fawr as a warm up just take it easy round ;) see you about on the roads maybe sometime hwyl!
  • mister plod i have sent my entry form off today!!! Has anybody done RHAYADER AROUND THE LAKES 20 RACE how does this one compare with snowdonia?
  • Morning all, sat watching FLM after running Paris marathon last weekend.

I am going to join a running club soon for help but I wondered if any of you had some top tips for preparing for this years Snowdonia.

Last week was my first marathon (4.57.38), I under estimated how tough it really would be and was a bit disappointed with my time.

I have entered for New Forest marathon (about 6 weeks before Snowdonia) and Snowdonia and I am 100% determined to break 4 hours.

Many thanks for your top tips!
  • mr fmr f ✭✭✭
    Toomuch... sorry about the confusion!

I emailed the course profile to both yourself and Caterpillar girl, and one of you replied saying that you were doing FLM at the weekend. So as your actual names are different from your forum names I clearly didnt know who was who! So, by a process of elimintation I hope Caterpillar girl did well at London today!

Glad to see youve posted the entry Taffy!

Strawberry, I dont think that there is any magical way to prepare for Snowdon. I have always found that as long I do the decent distances in training (as per any other marathon) and try to incorporate a few extra hill sessions or hillier runs then you should be well prepared. Ive only got a couple of half decent hills around me where I am, so I certainly dont even get near to training on hills that are either as long or steep as those found at Snowdon. ON the flip side, the downhill at the end is equally as yough on the quads as the up bits!