Snowdonia Marathon

Comments

• Thanks Mister Plod,

I went to speak to the guy in my gym this evening and he told me where I had probably gone wrong in terms of my preparation which was I didn't do any speed work to raise my lactate threshold.

So from now on I'm going to stick to the regime I downloaded from the marathon schedule section and go out and do some fast reps a couple of times a week and some work on the strength of my legs in the gym

and find some good hills to run up and down and up and down and up and down.........

I have figured out that it's not quite as simple as churning out mile after mile but that has certainly given me a good base to work on.

I think I'm going to sprint up every staircase I see and that will probably help too.

If you see someone flying up stairs in your local shopping centre leaving their wife stranded at the bottom - it will probably be me!
  • Thanks for the elevation.. it doesn't look as bad as I feared.. I know the area pretty well anyway. Just need to get the miles in..
  • I entered this last year but had to pull out (too many injuries/not enough training)

To try and get ahead of the game I want to start a structured training plan now rather than 4 months before the run. Does anyone know of a source for 6 month long training plans.

for all other first timers - i ran the first hill last year on a training run. It's not as bad as you'd expect if you run slow and steady and the scenery is breathtaking!
  • Hi Jakes

I've taken the Hal Higson 18 week plan and stretched it out a lot! I don't know what level your at, but as a novice I'm currently working on 1 week increase 1 week easy ramping this up later on in the summer to 2 weeks increase one week easier. Main thing for me is to get the mileage in regularly whilst avoiding injuries and burning out too much. This is my first so I'm trying to be careful so make it there in one piece.
  • Hi, all thanks for the feedback about the end of the course. I think I have got it sussed now.

My mum is visiting next week from London and when she said she really didn't have real preferences about what she wanted to see or do, I suggested she might like a drive out to see Snowdonia. She was up for it. I've not told her I have an ultra motive. Don't know how impressed she'll be when I leave her sat in the car while I run up this "little hill." Maybe I could walk it with her?

It could all go to pot anyway, because my fiancé has suggested the Lake District might be more interesting!!! :rolleyes:

I watched the FLM on Sunday thinking - "that could have been me." I didn't get through the ballot and had too much on to do the charity thing. It's a life long ambition for me to run it (and the reason I started running), since I used to stand in my front garden when I was younger, and watch the runners going by.

I checked with my bank today. I sent my app off on the 7th April and the cheque still has not been cashed. Those of you who have had your cheques cashed, how long did it take? I'm getting a little worried. Do you know if the organisers are quite approachable for a phone call?

D
  • John BachJohn Bach ✭✭✭
    Hi DM

I wouldn't worry about the cheque - send my form/chq off 2nd wk in March - chq cleared 4 days ago. I'd give it a week or two, the perhaps just drop them a quick e-mail (something I was considering doing last week - I would have been gutted if I missed out on the race because of my entry form going missing!)

Weather in Snowdonia yesterday was completely different to the FLM - I ran from Nantgwynant to the top of the climb out of Beddgelert and back and got absolutely soaked. Loved it though!
  • DM I sent my cheque off over a month ago and it only went through the other day so I would hang fire before chasing, although I was in a panic myself for a while.

I am just back from running London. What a contrast to Snowdonia. I ran Snowdonia last year as my first marathon, London was my second. I think Snowdonia wins hands down. London was wall to wall noisy crowds cheering and clapping and the route is all through built up areas. Snowdonia is beautiful countryside and the odd pocket of support. I know London was hot, which did not help, but due to poor preparation caused by work committments, I took 15 minutes longer in London. I would do the FLM again but if I had to choose I would pick Snowdonia, without a doubt. Certainly in 2006 we were lucky with the weather.

• Thanks toomuch.

I'm going to stretch out the Shades plan and replace some tempo sessions with hill work. In may last (aborted) attempt to train for Snowdonia I was doing Kenyan Hills and found these really challenging but useful. Although given that i got injured - perhaps they were not that useful. Definitely worth checking out by the beginners amongst us.
  • Mister Plod - Thanks for the e-mail. I survived FLM after having a bout of illness last week and happy to get a PB of 3:25 all things considered.

Right better start training for this one!
  • Hi Jakes - have you got a link or have I missed something?

Something that's been bugging me - what is the situation with water stations on this course?
  • mr fmr f ✭✭✭
    3:25, very impressive! you'll be the first one of all of us over the line at Snowdon then?!
  • 3:25 yes indeed very good time caterpillar girl. Some of my mates did the FLM and they said it was murder in the heat. Not used to that on the top of Snowdon eh John Bach ha ha. Good luck with the training all.

Toomuchtoodo Don't worry about water stations. They loads last year with plenty of drinks and the rumour is they will have chocolates on the later ones this year :)
  • LOL sadly chocolate gives me migraines.. but I like the temptation route. :)

3.25 Caterpiller girl - well done there.. though I feel you should change your names to Speedy Caterpiller! :)
  • Chocolates... yummm... does that mean I have a valid excuse for pigging out... must train for what I'll be having on the Marathon. he he.

When I did the Great North Run last year, there was a guy handing out Custard Creams and Jammy Dodgers at about mile 11. I would have have loved some, but thought it would be just my luke to breath some crumbs in and get strecherd off from a huge coughing fit!!!

My cheque has been posted... so I guess I am running then!!! :smile: I wonder how long it'll be before I get my race number.

Flatters, I have the same plan as you. Snowdonia as my first marathon, then FLM 08 as my second.

D
  • What races are people doing before Snowdonia?
  • Toomuchtoodo
    I think my last race before Snowdonia will be the Anglesey marathon about five weeks before the Snowdon. A nice easy warm up ha ha. I managed last year no problem though although didn't try to bust a gut in the Anglesey!
  • mr fmr f ✭✭✭
    At the moment my programme is:

Silverstone 10k
    White Peak Marathon
    2 Castles Run
    Strathern leicester 10k (pb?)
    Stratford Summer 6m
    50m Challenge
    Daventry 6
    Abingdon Marathon (now possibly lady GIdova Half?)
    Snowdonia Marathon

But as ever its subject to change! Toyin with the MOB night/day marathon but will decide nearer the day:)
  • Yikes Plod - erm a few then? :)

dpryce - toyed with Anglesey instead of Snowdonia.. i guess snowdonia won out, though Anglesey looks an easier course!

Have to admit that if I survive this (ok will probably be last in *sigh* ) also had my eye on FLM next year too. :) Does anyone know of any August races between 13-20 miles?
  • mr fmr f ✭✭✭
    Depends where in the UK you are Toomuch.. newark Half is a good bet?
  • Manchester/Liverpool way.. already in for the GNR (have to beat last years crap time) but looking for something to aim for in the summer..

• Manchester/Liverpool way.. already in for the GNR (have to beat last years crap time) but looking for something to aim for in the summer..

• mr fmr f ✭✭✭
    The events listings on here is showing not a lot! there are more in Sept i think, when the weather is meant to cool down a bit.
  • mr fmr f ✭✭✭
    Toomuch... The belper Rover 30k on 19th August sounds really good. Thinking of entering that one too. Derbyshire isnt that far for you is it?!
    18m is a nice distance!
  • Toomuchtoodo
    yes Anglesey is easier, must be, as i did the same sime virtually in both (3:24ish) and I was less fit (coming back from ITBS) and took it easier in the Anglesey, whereas I at the Snowdonia i was actually trying! I reckon you can say 8-10 mins between the courses. It's the last climbs up into and over Waunfawr in the Snowdonia that just eats away at your time, well it did me anyways!
  • I survived the heat and crowds at FLM, and now I'm looking forward to something a bit quieter at Snowdon for my second marathon. I entered as soon as I saw it listed and my cheque wa cashed a couple of weeks ago. Roll on October!
  • John BachJohn Bach ✭✭✭
    Toomuchtoodo,
    I'm jealous of you and the others on the thread - due mainly to family commitments and our location, the only race I'm doing before Snowdonia is the once which starts/finishes in the village we live.
    However, given that our village is on the edge of the Snowdonia National Park I'll be able to get plenty of hill training in before the event!
  • Hi all,

Refugee from Abingdon here. Had chosen Ab as an 'intelligent choice' first marathon although I always fancied this one morefor the scenery - looks like Abingdon cancellation has forced my hand. Good to read the other messages around doing this one as a first timer, makes me feel slightly less mad. Anyone got any particular hotel recommendations ?

Re Pete's Eats - last went there approx 24 yrs ago, is it still as good? I was cycling at the time and seem to remember a breakfast from there powered me for about three days...
  • Wharfedale plodder

Pete's eats, big tee mugs, nice fry ups, not bad prices, when its full tho takes a fair while to get your grub! I would recommend Henfaes hotel in Criccieth but only because I own it ha ha. Actually we're probably closed the week before as I need a bit of a rest before the run ;)
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Fancy closing your hotel just when we're all going to be there....probably not a bad idea tho'.
  • Belper 30k looks lovely... will check the calendar! Not too far from me at all! :O)

John - shame you can't make any more races.. though I guess living there has its consolations - its a beautiful place. Personally I'd rather have a pile of kids than be able to run lots of races, but something's aren't meant to be. Hee ho.