Post FLM

I know the standard advice is to take off a day for every mile you have raced, but I am absolutely itching to get back running!!
I did a little jog on grass on Thursday and my legs(and mind) feel fine but want to know if other forumites think it is too soon to start back?
I'm not talking about doing major training sessions, but I just want to be able to go out for a few steady runs? Any thoughts....

Comments

• I think taking a month off would be a little long for most people.

I ran a bit on Tuesday and felt better for it. It depends on the legs really - mine are pain free and I'm back on track this week. If you are a new runner - take things gently though but dont be afraid to go out for an easy run.
  • I'm back out now - or at least i was yesterday - ran 7-8 hilly. Feel TIRED today but it felt good to be back running.
  • I think the rule is supposed to be an easy day for every mile, rather than a day off (not that I particularly agree with that rule of thumb either). In other words don't race or do speedwork yet. There's no reason for waiting more than a week to head out again (unless you just want some time off!).
  • limperlimper ✭✭✭
    Some forumites have already done another marathon.
    You've just got to listen to your own body really.
  • Magic, good to know I'm not the only one. Got to a reasonable level of fitness, my legs feel pretty good so want to keep the momentum going into the track season.
    Have just seen the marathon newsletter and it suggests after 2 weeks we can resume a bit of speedwork.
  • So folks, you reckon I could run a 10k race on Sunday?? Ok so im not aiming to win but 46/7 would make me happy. what do you think, madness or worth a shot?
  • Jennster, go for it. A 10k two weeks after a marathon is no big deal. You might not pb, but that's not the point really.

I always try & go for an easy run the day after a marathon, just to get things moving again. Some advice recommends a gentle run later the same day as the best recovery.
  • "Some advice recommends a gentle run later the same day as the best recovery."

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!

No chance....
  • *jen*jen ✭✭✭
    A gentle RUN??? Oh my god. A gentle stand up was all I could manage.

I went for a 5 mile easy run last Friday though and felt absolutely fine, and a bit of a faster session on Saturday. As someone else said, I guess just listening to your body is the way to go.
  • Get out there! You've only got 51 weeks until the next FLM ;o)
  • Since last Saturday I feel absolutely fine! Actually I want to take part (not run ;-) ) in a half marathon on next Sunday.

What are your plans? Normally I read "not more than 3 marathons a year".

Best

Hoirkman
  • ran flora with a friend who is a bit slower than me, we agreed to stay together as it was our first marathon and had a great time consequently i finished feeling fine cant i just do the same marathon programme again but perhaps at a later week in the programme due to my fitness ?
  • The rule of thumb is not to race for 1 day per mile of previous race distance. (Hal Higdon)

- ie you can race 10k-s each week, half marathons every fortnight; marathons every 26 days (ish).
    Other sources talk about not racing for 1 day per km (rather than 1 d per mile)
  • I was out the next day and shuffled 3 miles
  • its like the all the ladies who said no to cake on the Titanic.....

if you want to - go for it !
  • Very good skippy...
    I tried running last Monday but my knee really really really hurts - fine when I'm walking, sitting climbing stairs but having a month off to recover properly - rule of thumb...if you have injuries you can see with the eye, don't run until they are healed as you can't see what's going on inside.
  • Take it easy and listen to your body. It will tell you if it's not ready for proper training resumption.

5 of the 6 FLM-ers from my club did the local Pocklington 10k on Tuesday, and we all did decent times. Lots of red laces from other club runners too. Talking to them afterwards, they all felt fairly fresh even though they expected that their legs may not be fully back to normal again. After 2 wks 2 days, I think that's about right.
  • grumble - good advice : )

ex-pat - great to hear as I am doing the Crowden Horseshoe on Sunday ( 8 miles 1700ft of climb ) and was concerned at any post FLM lack of sparkle....

pocklington - hmmm - was that millington woods _ I used to play there !

bring everyone

skippy