Speed Sessions

As a new runner I have consentrated on distance than speed.I now feel I should be doing speed work too help me get faster I do about 10 minute miles.
Any guidance greatly recieved:-)

This morning I went and did 3 minutes running rast 3 minutes slower for about 30 minutes do I do this once a week??
ALF: Always a little further
Miles makes smiles.
Progression

Comments

• No expert but you are on the right track by starting off speed sessions with 3 mins fast and 3 mins slow. Remember to warm up properly by walking/jogging before beginning the faster bits.

How often do you run and how many miles a week do you do?

One step I would consider is to measure yourself out a mile of fairly flat running surface and time yourself and see how fast you can run it now. Do this time trail every couple of weeks or so to see how you are improving.

Best of luck.
  • WelshpoppyWelshpoppy ✭✭✭
    Thanks Jane

I run 5 times a week one long run off 7-8 miles and the other 4 about 3-4 miles in a week about 19 miles I am building them up for a 1/2 marathon In late september, I also have a 10K next week and 2 5K races over the summer.

Thats a great idea about the time trial no problem as I train on a cycle track or the sea front which are mostly flat.
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • 3 mins on and off is a good way to start WP. Fartleking is also fun. This is where you pick out a landmark like a lampost or postbaox and run fast to it then jog recover before the next challenge.

It depends what sort of person you are. I like my speedwork structured and measured now so I go up a track and run on distance (200s, 400s etc) rather than time (30 secs, 1 min etc).

All speedwork will make you faster to some extent so keep up the good work.