Sub 3

Comments

• Stet:

Thats it then - no more race planning for me - I'm just gonna decide to race one the day before and then turn in a PB like you!

Congrats on the gongs too.
  • GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    nice one stet

I like that TR

Robo-Gobi
  • Thanks DoT
    Conditions today were pretty much perfect for all that got 'round before the rain came, there was a new female record of 2 hrs 58 ish (previous best was 3 hrs 09 mins) and the male open winner was only 40 odd seconds outside setting a new one too!

You should all get down there, its a great marathon!

2nd time running at Halstead for me, this is one I'm hoping to do every year, I was just waiting to see how the legs were after London!
    I'm thinking about training hard for Loch Ness now!
  • Great running today, esp Stet and Gobi (bloody hell you need to stop those ultras and concentrate on speedwork - you'll win more gongs that way...)
  • GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    cheers NM2 but I like the ultras, this new found short speed is like a free bonus. Now if I could only run a fast 5km then I would be really happy.
  • First post since FLM - 3.01(15s)Little disappointed with the time and weather. Also had to stop for a crap at around 19m. Was comfterably in 2.55 shape.Managed to fill one of St Johns sick bags at the finish. Always next year. Tewksbury half for me today also. Ran first few miles with Ode, who is unfortunately struggling at the moment. Finished in 1.24(30). Pleased with time as a PB for me (only 1 serious half before, despite FLM only 3 weeks ago and 3 hardish interval sessions since Last Saturday. Had blisters in my sight for best part of 5/6 miles but could not pull him in. Mile markers seemed pretty inconsistent. Went from 5.48 at 8 to 7.07 for 9. Garmin 6.17 and 6.30.
    Decided no more marathons this year, concentrating on getting quicker. So more 10k, halfs etc
  • Thanks NM2

Gobi I'm being talked into running an ultra by a couple of club mates for next year, any advice on a good first event?
  • GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    tough one stet, depends what you want in a race.

Draycote 35miler is very good and is laps so getting out is easy as is Boddington 50km.

There are a number of good offroad ones
    Compton 40
    Ridgeway 40(ldwa event) but good all the same
    Marlborough downs 33

These all rank as solid
  • Stet Great result. Didn't see fool did you? Funny gait, swinging a cane probably.

AY4 You didn't have to stop for a crap - I didn't ;o)
  • Cheers Gobi 35 at Draycote seems to be a safe bet, I'll look into that one!

Crab missed Fool, was hoping to bump into some forumites, if he did it, hope he had a good run too.
  • He was a proper bo sub3 aspirant just like TR (without the muscles and chest infection) who ran Halstead last year in (from memory) 3:0x and then he was gone. Shame I miss him ;o(

Oh well plenty more fish and all that.

(BTW just to clarify I did stop to drop the kids off at the pool at ~9miles but didn't stop at 19miles. Ended up with somewhat of a muddy penalty spot but did get the sub3. The goal was sub3 not sub3 with a spring fresh crevice so on reflection probably made the right call.)

As you were.
  • Stopping en route AND filling a St John Sick Bag? Why not use a Portaloo to take a dump like everyone else (bar one)?

Anyway it seems that I got a class victory. My P23 was worth 1st V45. How is my head going to fit through the door?
  • GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    great job Blisters
  • Odeon1085Odeon1085 ✭✭✭
    Nice 1 Blisters and good to meet u. U were very popular today what with Tiggers Mate Roo and all the others.

Just for the record, it was my slowest HM of the year following my rome HW split and then London HW Split. As fred rules state, intermediate splits don't count, it is now my quickest.

Talk about clutching at straws;)
  • Hail Hail

Cracking time Gobi! And off that sort of mileage too.

Great racing from all others as well. Although I'm guessing Pug didnt do too well. Hopefully his cold/chest clears up.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Gobi – I think the Robo-Gobi tag fits you well. You’re an inspiration dude.

I’ve a list of a few heroes on this thread (some of them know who they are – I’ll spare their blushes) but you’re right up there with them.
    Folks like you inspire me to get the (not-red) trainers on and get out the door.

35 miles spread across 4 runs for me last week. Chest still aches a bit – and havn’t even trained, must be just due to muscle/rib soreness now them. So, going to push on a bit now – I’m in danger of being left behind by all of you folks. May even get some mile reps done this week too.

Ode – hope you are ok – you need a break Dude. Give it 6 months and you’ll be tearing up your PB’s.

CM – not sure when you are going to be out of forum contact (or are you still logging in via Blackberry), but If you are out of contact soon then all the best for your IM – you make my list above dude – I’m not sure that will help you as much as it does me though !!

• GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    Cheers TR

good to see you getting back to it.

regards
  • GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    RB

I did actually have a rest day on Friday so for me I was quite fresh Sunday :¬)
  • Gold RushGold Rush ✭✭✭
    Morning all,

Gobi-Bloody hell mate simmer down,thats a cracking 10k time....looking good for the ultra

Stet-Great running and another sub 3,well done fella

Some great half times over the w/e, well done Tmap,AY4,Ode,DO2 and Dan also great running from the Vets Blisters and Nichs2.

T.R- welcome to the V40 category

Still doing a bit, 6 days last week with the w/e 17 miler taking me to 60 for the week.

Onwards and upwards
  • GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    lol GR I am still in shock
  • Great performances by the HM runners, but especially impressed by Gobi in his 10k, and Stet at Halstead. Having run it myself, not an easy course, but at least the weather conditions would have been OK.

I notice that those who thought they did well at Ranelegh, didn't mention the fifty year old woman who I think beat the lot of you, running 1:20

Scary.
  • GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    Impressed my v50 woman, who is she ?

cheers Dull
  • Stret - congrats on another sub 3!

If anybody fancies a sub 60 pacer for 10M next week, I'm thinking of running this one (under an alias) at tempo speed. Anything between 57 and 60 could be negotiated.

If there are no takers, I'll see what the HR monitor makes of 5:44 pace - I suspect 86%ish of max.
  • Jane Laws. Barnet AC 1:20:45 WAVA 91.95%

I think it's a PB for her, her previous best was 1:21:36 run in 2004.

That will frighten the socks off Slow Coach on the MG thread. She's in the same age category, and has a PB about 7 mins slower than that.

Come to think of it, it frightens the socks of me, my PB is 1:23:09.
  • Thanks all.

JEJ Would have loved to try for a p.b at the very same event, don't think the legs will be ready in a week though!
    Might still run it! (Not at sub 60 pace!)

Dull That is an amazing time clocked by the Barnet runner, my word I've got work to do this year!!!
  • Dan ADan A ✭✭✭
    Dull - I did run with said V50 (F) up to two miles, but she did not have the sort of backside that I like to run behind, so I backed off a bit, looking for something more aesthetically pleasing, but to no avail.

But from what I saw last week on hols, I strongly suggest that a visit to the next Tallinn marathon might not be a wasted journey.

Stet, Gobi - great stuff; well done.
  • nichs2nichs2 ✭✭✭
    Stet
    A fantstic result!

I am right.....you did 2:58 at london and 2:57 3 weeks later?

You should do a marathon a month and you'll be at the championship start in a year's time.
  • TmapTmap ✭✭✭
    50 year old woman was still a minute behind me!
    I went past her on the towpath in my push, but she was obviously going well.

Thanks for the congrats. I can't tell you how much I needed a good, well-paced race.

• Ha! If only Nichs2, if only!!!
    Was unsure if my legs would be ok after London and was going to pace a team mate to a sub 4 just to run it. (Halstead was my first marathon last year 3 hrs 18 mins).
    He had others to run with so I thought I'd have a go at 6.45 pace from the off and see if I could hang on! Thankfully it worked!

Good running there Tmap.