Eyam Half-Marathon

clairsterclairster ✭✭✭
just curious! anyone got any hints and tips?

Comments

• yep take it easy from mile 1-3 its up hill. i love the course and make sure that i book my holiday around it. i find the first few miles hard. so you can go fast down hill, steady on the flats and slow up hill. hope to see you there.
  • It's a toughie! As IHH mentioned, there are a few hills early on, by my memory from last year was that there's an absolute killer around 9 mile. Really, a laughably severe climb. Nevertheless it is a great race on a beautiful course. Enjoy.
  • Hi Clairster,

I'd echo what i hate hills says. In fact, I'd go a bit further and say that you _must_ take it easier than you normally would for the first 8 miles. Don't get carried away on the flat / downhill section from mile 3 to mile 8. This is because at mile 8.5-ish, you come up against the mother of all hills (700 feet of vertical height gain), which goes up continuously from mile 8.5 to mile 11.5. If you're tired at the start of this climb, you'll be much more trouble 20 minutes later! I made this mistake the first time I ran Eyam, and experienced pain like I've never known on any previous race.

But tactics aside, I'm running Eyam for the third year in a row, and it's my favourite course - beautiful views and friendly crowd. I'll have been drinking all night the previous evening, due to a stag do, however, so I'll be taking it easy this time around!
  • clairsterclairster ✭✭✭
    hi everyone!

thanks for all the responses..will try and remember all the advice. i will be taking it easy as have white peak the week after. this weekend am doing Bluebell trail (in Halifax), this has the mother of all hills at about 4miles, Trooper Lane, its legendery.
  • I think the 'Mother of All Hills' title might be re-allocated once you've run Eyam, Clairster.
  • "THE MOTHER OF ALL HILLS"-(GULP) now your starting to frighten me! Probably wasn't the best choice for my first half then.(he says seeking re-assurance).
  • clairsterclairster ✭✭✭
    haha, excellen..bluebell will be a little warm up then (trooper lane is 570 feet in just over half a mile..not that i know what that means, just it was very hard last year!)

houty - you'll be fine, just kick back and enjoy it if its your 1st..what sort of time are you aiming for?
  • i must admit i list the last mile its down hill, though must make sure i stop and turn the corner rather than plough into people watching. so from about mile 11.5 to the finish it does seem easy. but on as easy as the lifting a pint in the pub just by the finish
  • Eyam is a lovely race, very friendly, but very hard, the hill as others has said is very tough, it just keeps going and going, then seems to flatten for a bit before you carry on. Beautiful scenery though. I will do it again sometime, but at the moment still chasing pb's so its the Sheffield half the following week for me.
  • the advert said 2 years ago see 5 counties of britain, they forgot to add to see them you had a hill climb. not looking for a pb there though it is possible if you get the up hill part right. so is it the first back buys the beer
  • I think i will heed the advice and take it easy.Afterall I'm only doing it for the T-shirt. I was hoping for a time around 1:45 but now I'll be happy just completing it. Odd though, I'm still looking forward to it.:-)
  • This is a fantastic race - but a tough one! One of the best things is seeing the tearooms just on the other side of the finish line - then you turn a corner and you're at a pub.
    Take it easy on the downhills and the killer hill at 9m won't be so hard. And remember to look around - you earned that view!
  • TreforTrefor ✭✭✭
    Yes those tea rooms mmmm I will make good use of them this year as I have got to sit this years race out due to injury, so while my freinds enjoy taking part I will console myself with a cream tea.
  • This was my first half and it will be my third time..houlty look at the scenery and ignore the hills, it's a very friendly half and an excellent choice for your first. See you all next week and good luck with the race....
  • I ran the course on Saturday, just to check that I can still do it! I ran the first 8 miles approx. 1 minute slower per mile than the pace I ran them on race day in 2005 and 2006. And do you know what? I really enjoyed it. No pain or suffering, just wonderful views, fresh air, and _everyone_ I ran past out on the course through Eyam, Bretton and Abney said Good Morning to me, without exception. And that big hill at the end is so much easier and less agonising when you've kept something in reserve.

So this coming Sunday I'll be taking it easy and enjoying myself, instead of going for a time, followed by pub grub in the Miner's Arms - yum!

If the organisers did an "entry every year for life" scheme, I'd probably sign up!!!

Looking forward to the White Peak Half the weekend after, too - it'll be the first time I've done it.
  • it's definately one that you get hooked on, i think it will be an annual event for me as well, thinking of doing the white peak, are there entries on the day??
  • clairsterclairster ✭✭✭
    white peak half is full..not sure about the full, that may have some places left :)
  • thanks clairster, but don't think my legs could cope with a full, only just started marathon training for september and struggling with that!!
  • clairsterclairster ✭✭✭
    looks like rain for the weekend..i hope the wind dies down.
  • Clairster - sounds like a nice undulating course, if it is first back buys the beer I am going for the scenery.
  • clairsterclairster ✭✭✭
    definitely wont be me..i'm in it for the scenary too :)
  • What scenery, have you seen the forecast, under derwent reser might have more veiws.
  • clairsterclairster ✭✭✭
    hmm, i know..could be a little damp. must remember to pack my arm bands :)
  • Oh dear. The BBC weather website has revised is prediction for Sunday from "light showers" to "heavy rain". Mind you, I'm out on a stag do the night before, so running the Eyam Half Marathon in heavy rain is the best cure for a hangover I can think of!

I don't think a p.b. is on the cards, somehow....
  • Just got back, really enjoyed it although did a pretty crap time, perhaps a hangover would have helped, hope you got rid of yours on route shaggy!hope you all got round in one piece...
  • clairsterclairster ✭✭✭
    fab race, really enjoyed it. well done to the village and all the organisers for putting on a fantastic day. lots of water stations, lots of support and the hills were entertaining! how lucky were we with the weather???