Nike Vomero

After trying mizuno wave nirvana, kayano XII, nimbus, and now Vomeros I can categorically state that The Vomero (kind of a big boys Pegasus) is the most comfortable shoe to run in that I have ever come across.

The difference is like going from a Suzuki leaf sprung jeep to a Range Rover. I never ever thought running on the road could be considered comfortable.

Ok Many of you will realise that there is a type of shoe issue going on here. I was wrongly advised to get a stability shoe at first and after weeks of Shin splints and achilles problems I am now in a cushioned shoe, but even between the Nimbus and the Vomero the difference is out of this world.

Crap name but a great shoe, I am a Nike man after all. If you are after a nuetral shoe and love the comfort zone get these. They are responsive and because they are comfortable and light I shaved a minute off my PB for 5k on my first run in them, and I was being cautious!

Comments

• Cable you run in excatly same as me then!
    Nimbus and vemeros.

Yes like pillows but I find on shorter stuff nimbus wins out.
  • cabletow, you read my mind.

I just came on here to ask for advice on the best heel ultra-cushioning shoe since I too have had problems with my achilles.

The only problem is, I feel uncomfortable stumping up the 85 quid.

Anyone know of any comparable shoes costing a bit less?
  • As he saying goes, Quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten.

What price is getting rid of your achilles tendonitis and all the rest days that the tendonitis forces on you.

Just my 0.02p
  • fair point well made. sweatshop is already on my radar tomorrow and - hopefully - a brief run afterwards to test out my huge feet encased in cushioning nirvana!
  • Dave, did you get any Vomero's? I trialled a pair the other night from the Nike van, did 8 miles and was well impressed. If anything they were a bit too spongy. The following couple of days my ankles were a bit sore though I managed to run. Like you I agree with cabletows point about quality, but when ther are shoes for a lot less money, I find it difficult to justify. As anyone else got these who maybe found them a bit to bouncy/spongy to start with but have found they settled after a few runs?
  • Arnee
    I found that for about 25 miles they "bounced" however now they are great.
    Still pillow like but responsive.
  • Cheers TT, oh what the heck, it's only money.
  • Dunno, had mine for graiits ;-)

But about to stump up for my second pair.
  • I bought the Nike Air Zoom zkylon which are cheaper, have the same "Free" technology in the sole & a lower heal. I really like them as they run really smooth. A little bit slippery on wet grass though.

I don't know whether to buy another pair now or wait for the next revision.

This new wave of shoes from nike certainly have me excited - the whole lower leg gets a workout which can only be a good thing & at last a step in teh right direction
  • As long as they DON'T mess with the x-country spike range i will be happy with that.
  • they do settle with miles, cant fault them now and I reckon they are good for many miles
  • Ended up with a pair of Nimbus. The guy at Sweatshop said that unless you have a perfect running style they accentuate any faults you have in your gait.

The Nimbus are pretty nice. A world away from my Adidas A3s.

But I still have the heel problem, so I'm gonna see the sports physio and sort myself out.
  • GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    very nice shoe although my second pair are being a little bit of a pain to break in
  • I totally disagree with gait correction & any type of foot corretion so the likes of the free, vomeros, zoom skylons suit me. I was told I over pronate but since going neutral & lower heeled shoes I have had no injuries at all.

I really believe all the barefoot principles laid down in teh forefoot running thread here, various barefoot sites & the pirie book, however I tried running in Puma H.Streets (plimsoles basically) & they put a bit too much strain on my calfs so a slghtly thinker sole suits me for a bit mroe comfort.
  • Had been killing my shins with a pair of JJB Asics for far too long, and finally got round to having my gait analysed.

Turns out I supinate, and Runnersneed tried me out on both Asics Nimbus and Nike Vomero.

No contest for me. I'd gone into the store with sore shins, but as soon as the Vomero were on, I was running pain free on the treadmill. The Nimbus just didn't do it for me at all.

I'd say they lacked a bit of responsiveness at first, but I'd definitely sacrifice that for the ability to run pain free. A couple of months on from getting them, they're an absolute dream. A tenner less than the Nimbus as well.
  • The price never bothered me, in the shop I thought my feet had died and gone to heaven, but when I tried a quick paced run in them I had to stop, take off the shoes and my socks and try to take the burning out of the balls of my feet. I've been running in Nike's since the early 80's and I've never experienced that, except for the day when I raced an 800m and lost my shoe with a lap to go and ran the last 4 barefoot - finished 2nd - but by god that was painful.
    I now use the Vomeros as my long and recovery run shoe as it guarantees that I can't go faster than 7min mile pace.

John
  • The Nimbus felt amazing in the shop, and burned the balls of my feet for the first few runs, but fine now. When I went back for a second pair trainers for alternate running days, they all felt ridiculously uncomfortable compared to Nimbus.
  • Hi,

I recently discovered that I under-pronate so I was advised to pack up the Asics Kayano XIIs.

As a replacement, I just bought my first pair of Vomeros yesterday - they felt a little bit tight under the tongue - since it is stitched to the lining.

I still took the risk as otherwise it was really comfortable - do you think they will ease a little with wear?

Thanks,

Emile from Malta
  • HI ALL, Bit late for this thread but i have been away! Ok do not wear the vomeros of road or your heels will be on fire the morning after! They are tight over the top of the foot,so thinner socks are better,all in all a nice shoe but i wish it had just a wee bit more support.Oh by the way (www.joe jogger.co.uk) will sell you a pair for 60 quid! Worth it!!!
  • I love them they are a great long distance training shoe and I have 3 pairs of NIKE airs, I have only ever worn Nike Airs since 11 (1983!) and they are just the best shoes out there. Forget all of the runners shops propaganda about Asics and Brooks - they are just jealous of Nike's meteoric sucess
  • Branches of Sports Soccer are selling the three different colourways for under £60 now.
  • JJB has been for some time.
    Random if the black or blue but hey I don't care cos mine are always stinking!
  • Ive allways sufferd with my knees, untill i tried these Nike air zoom vomero trainers, they are great. Best £85 ive ever
    spent.
  • £60? Please advise where! Thanks
  • Some JJBs.

Joe jogger is £70 for vomero +2.

Must investigate these new offerings of vermero.
  • Have had the vom +2 since mid April. Find them brilliant, roomier and better wearing than the vom 1. Bit white though!

Just need an Ipod to the the whole plus thing working.
  • I just bought some of these in New York (on hols) on the advice of a speciality running shop ($69). I previously wore Asics Gel Nimbus which were giving me sore knees.

After 3 runs in Vomero I am getting very sore lower legs and a sore right arch. They feel almost too soft and loose.

I have high arches and very rigid feet, almost supinating.

Are they the wrong shoe for me?

Thanks
  • Absolute rubbish shoes if you have high arches. Have to agree with the post above, too soft and they give me severe burning sensation under the ball of my foot. The sock liner is too tight.

I'm sure their fine for other types of feet but rubbish for me!
  • DD, I have high arches / rigid feet too and had the burning sensation under the ball of the foot too, coming on when length of run exceeded one hour.
    That did disappear after a while though (about 40-50 miles of use) so don't give up on them just yet.

Comfy they most definately are (the +2), but responsive???