Options

Amsterdam 2007

Comments

• Options
    Blimey DD, you'll be worn out before you start !
    I'm taking it a bit easier, going on the Saturday with a 09.55 flight, have a chance to amble round the Expo, which I remember being quite a sizeable affair.
  • Options
    Is the Expo good at Amsterdam? Always like to try and bag a bargain at these things. I'm flying in on Friday so hope to go then, hopefully missing the bulk of the crowds.
  • Options
    Hi shutterbug, I've been to the expo in 2002, 2003 and 2004 and been happy with it.
    A good number of stands, and lots of people.
    I've had some good bargains there, especially the Rono Innovations kit I got at half price, so leave some room in your bag :-)
  • Options
    I'm flying out on Friday after work I think. Not sure exactly where we're staying, a friend booked an apartment for the weekend. The expo was pretty decent last year when I ran the half.
  • Options
    Thats good to hear, shall take an expandable case!! ;-)
  • Options
    luckily, I meant to say I am flying out at 6.30am on Saturday so I'll have time to relax when I'm there :-)
  • Options
    patrunnerpatrunner ✭✭✭
    I have entered online today so am in
  • Options
    Having booked my flight, hotel and place in the Marathon, I though it might be a good idea to start my training.

Anyone else out there started training with Amsterdam in mind?
  • Options
    Hi sheets, I've started preparing for this. Making a real effort to get to this marathon in good shape, so am building up over a longer period than I normally would. Only 5 months to go!!!
  • Options
    musketeermusketeer ✭✭✭
    Haven't started specific training yet but have been doing about 20 miles a week this year, so will commence proper traing at the end of June.
  • Options
    WelshpoppyWelshpoppy ✭✭✭
    MMmmmm maybe I will be back this year..........
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    SilkTorkSilkTork ✭✭✭
    I'm in! Olympic stadium!!!! Weeeeee!

A good long run, and then a schmoke after!
  • Options
    Shutterbug, Glad to hear I'm not the only one.

I am hopeing to shave 10min off my PB at Amsterdam and get within the "good for age" for London.

Its a big target but I am going for it all the same!

• Options
    patrunnerpatrunner ✭✭✭
    I need to get 9 minutes off my London time to get good for age so if it isnt as hot etc should be doable.

Where are you staying? We are having meeting on Tuesday and going to book hotels and flights there are about 8 of us now from East Cheshire Harriers doing this
  • Options
    Hoping for the same myself. New PB and a 'good for age' at London if lucks with me.

I think we're at the Museum Square hotel. Seems to be quite near the start/finish so should be easy enough getting to the race.
  • Options
    I am also in a group, there are about 12 of us going.

someone else booked the hotel, but I think its a Travel lodge,It workes out about £75 per head per night, we are flying out of Luton on Easy Jet early Saturday Morning.

• Options
    No...Its the Holiday Inn.

• Options
    I'm doing the half marathon.
    Been wanting to do this one for a while, dates finally coincide with half-term, so I'm having a few days with Mrs XL and the kids afterwards too.

Any advice or experiences with regards to the course?
  • Options
    I haven't started training yet, want to get Edinburgh out of the way (next weekend), have a couple of weeks rest then get back down to it.
  • Options
    Morning all,

I'm doing Amsterdam this year and I'm just getting back into a proper running schedule after running Paris in April (great event, absolutely killed me in the heat).

I'm aiming for a sub 3:45 run after manageing to scrape in at 3:56 in the Paris Heat, and I'm told Amsterdam is a good course for this.

As for training I'm intending to do a sixteen week schedule in the run up to the event, and am thoroughly looking forward to the race.

Cheers all - Jase
  • Options
    Hi all,

Was looking for an Amsterdam 2007 thread and had to weed through so many old threads.. I've entered the race as well. I've done 3 marathons now, the last one was unexpected and I didn't train for it (White Peak last saturday).. I was slow and it hurt so I'm determined to train properly for Amsterdam so I can actually enjoy it!

I'm thinking of doing an 18 week schedule (either Hal Higdon intermediate II or Pete Pfitzinger) and adding 2 weeks on for illness / injury / intrusion of life. What is everyone doing?

• Options
    musketeermusketeer ✭✭✭
    Planning on doing a 16 week one from Rob and Shelley Glover's book
  • Options
    15 weeks for me.
    Well done Diesel girl on your WP marathon on Sat.
    Do you recommend it?
  • Options
    SilkTorkSilkTork ✭✭✭
    I'm planning on eating plenty of doughnuts and drinking loads of beer.

Build up the carbs.
  • Options
    Thanks Chocoholic - is chocolate a carbohydrate? Excellent chocolate in Holland.. Anyway - yes I highly recommend WP but I didn't train for it - it was a mad decision to run it - and it would have been more enjoyable had I put in the hours. Having said that it's small, beautiful, traffic-free and friendly and they sell gorgeous sausage cobs at the finish!

But I'm Dutch so am going to be enjoying chips, mayonnaise and a frosty cold beer at the finish of Amsterdam! I always find myself dreaming of a post-marathon meal in the final miles - I wonder what that means..
  • Options
    Know what you mean DG
    I dream of chocolate and ice cream in final few miles of marathon...doughnuts sound good too ST
    ;-)
  • Options
    Oh yes definitely. I'm still on the post WP pig-out before I get into Amsterdam training..
  • Options
    16 week schedule for me, just building a good base at the moment to make my life a little easier.
  • Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Pfitzinger and Douglas's 18 week up to 70 mpw schedule for me. Worked a treat at London and gradually building the mileage back up now. (I figure it can't hurt to take it easy-ish at the moment - I had an enforced 3 week break with flu in November/December last year before FLM training and panicked that this meant all was lost; I PB'd by 12 minutes!)

Off for a short plod now.
  • Options
    Doing the same as shutterburbug at the mo, just getting out and running regular training sesions 4/5 times a week.

Hopefully I will be able to start a fixed weekly scedual from June 1st so come october I will be up to speed.